PDA

View Full Version : Different Band Sawn Boxes

TexasWoodRat
13th February 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi guys,

When I saw this thread, I thought about these band sawn boxes made by a member of the Woodworker's Club of Houston.

I'm going to try my hand at a pair of them as soon as it warms up a little more.

http://www.wwch.org/Technique/BandSawBoxes.htm

Sculptured Box
13th February 2007, 09:15 PM
TexasWoodRat

I am keen to see your "pair", do you see any problems with consequential bandsaw blade kerf?

joe greiner
14th February 2007, 12:36 AM
Slide 3 of the link illustrates the problem (exaggerated). Apparently he just lets the glue hide it. I'm not much of an expert with either bandsaw or scroll saw, but I think a bevelled cut could compensate for kerf and wood thickness. (Hmmm. Maybe not. Need to experiment. And/or search marquetry/intarsia - not sure which is which.) These are perpendicular cuts, though, as seen at edges of the wood.

Joe

TexasWoodRat
14th February 2007, 12:37 AM
TexasWoodRat

I am keen to see your "pair", do you see any problems with consequential bandsaw blade kerf?

Yes sir, I do see problems. The kerf problems are even discussed a little in the link I provided. I was actually thinking of using my scroll saw instead of bandsaw, to produce an even smaller kerf.

Sculptured Box
14th February 2007, 07:02 AM
My concern is that many people, including me, do not have the skill to make the required smooth bandsaw / scrollsaw cut, resulting in a very unsightly end product.

NewLou
14th February 2007, 07:53 AM
Gidday:)

Regardless of process the end result is outstanding. No doubt the finished 'pieces' require 'high end' craftsmanship but I believe the end result looks well worth the committment to achieve!

Very nice work indeed n somthing to aspire to!

Thx for posting em ratter!

Regards Lou:D

TexasWoodRat
14th February 2007, 03:30 PM
My concern is that many people, including me, do not have the skill to make the required smooth bandsaw / scrollsaw cut, resulting in a very unsightly end product.

Hi SB,

I'm far from an expert with either tool but with a sharp pencil line (0.5mm), a bright light, a good dust clearing means, its not too hard with a scroll saw. Just go slow and smoothly.

joe greiner
15th February 2007, 01:18 AM
Just go slow and smoothly.

And don't force the cut. Let the blade take the work. Also, decide in advance which side of the kerf follows the line and stick with it. When you find yourself forcing the cut, replace the blade.

This type of pattern variation is called "counterchanging." Quite common in heraldry (coats of arms, flags, etc.).

Joe