PDA

View Full Version : Glass shelves in cabinets.

JDarvall
13th February 2007, 06:24 PM
Only ever used woodern shelves.

Thinking of using glass instead at the moment. 4mm stuff or something like. Bevel the edge.

But there gonna be the adjustable kind.....uno, a run of holes on the inner sides of the cabinets to take pegs or whatever.

but...:B ....what stops them from sliding forward onto your foot ?

Glass being slippry stuff.

How have you done it ?...or isn't really a problem ? .......rubber friction things on the shelf pegs ???? ..... or do you inset the glass on the leading pegs ?....never really ever had a close look at glass shelves.

Dean
13th February 2007, 06:31 PM
I think you can get little rubber coated pegs for glass to stop them moving, but generally movement forward and off onto your foot isnt a real problem, unless you deliberately yank it forward:doh:

ozwinner
13th February 2007, 06:34 PM
Glass being slippry stuff.

Maaaaate, youve got to lay off the terps.
Glass aint slippery. :?
When was the last time you walked into a shop and the glass shelves just slipped off?:?

Al :?

Dean
13th February 2007, 06:35 PM
Have a look here:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1080

The supports labeled "F" have little rubber covers for glass :)

Scally
14th February 2007, 12:02 PM
I just bought these from Lee Valley for glass shelves in a small display cabinet.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=40601&cat=3,43648,43649&ap=1

the cabinet will have delicate/valuable glass trinkets so I want to minimise the chance of the shelf moving.

They look interesting with a nylon suction cap for the shelf to rest on and a bracket to hold the glass down.

I will let you know how they work if I ever get this cabinet finished.

Per Swenson
14th February 2007, 12:17 PM
Hello,

We use the lee Valley locking glass units linked by Scally

in our Back Bar cabinets, Good stuff.

Per

Just George
14th February 2007, 05:03 PM
Glass aint slippery. :?

Al :?

We do glass shelves in cupboards every now and then, there's never been any thought of them sliding forward, because they won't.

What are the shelves for? Is the cupboard going to have doors? Are you going to be getting things out of them all the time? Or is it for an entertainment unit?

AlexS
14th February 2007, 05:40 PM
Not sure how big the shelves are, but I have a cabinet that has a dozen small (250 x 250 x 4) shelves, just sitting on the brass pegs, and they've never shown any sign of moving.

JDarvall
14th February 2007, 05:42 PM
We do glass shelves in cupboards every now and then, there's never been any thought of them sliding forward, because they won't.

What are the shelves for? Is the cupboard going to have doors? Are you going to be getting things out of them all the time? Or is it for an entertainment unit?

Small units .. Medicine cabinets. Mirror on the front sort of thing.....

I suppose my worry stems from the fact that the shelves will be quite small.....so they won't be heavy. .....if something, like a jar or whatever spills and sticks to the glass then the glass may pull forward I thought when pulling at the jar.....uno.

But sounds like I'm wrong. But then why do they make those suction like ones Scalley kindly provided a link to above (thanks mate) if its never a problem ?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

George ....do you make pieces with beveled mirrors installed ? ...... what does it cost you ruffly for a piece about 250x400 ? ...... from one shop he wanted $70 bucks for it ? .....I thought , no way am I paying that.

JDarvall
14th February 2007, 05:43 PM
Not sure how big the shelves are, but I have a cabinet that has a dozen small (250 x 250 x 4) shelves, just sitting on the brass pegs, and they've never shown any sign of moving.

Thanks Alex....won't give it any more thought then.