PDA

View Full Version : More photos of boxes

Arron
13th February 2007, 08:06 PM
I have been making some boxes lately.

These ones are both have silver ash for solid wood. The front one has pomelle sapele, wenge and hard maple veneers. The rear one is Gaboon ebony veneer on top and reconstituted veneer (man-made from shredded timber waste) on sides and inside.

Arron
13th February 2007, 08:09 PM
This a bunch of my favourites. It might seem odd to make so many of something so similar, but I find that it takes a while to refine the style and size and method so I like to get some payback by producing several similar. There is just enough variation in the detail to make each one interesting to make. Anyway they make great gifts and are very well received.

Timber Id from the front clockwise.
Cocobolo (veneer) and black walnut (solid) with curly maple (v) interior.
Red cedar (s) with waterfall bubinga (v) top, curly mahogany side (v), hard maple (v) inside.
Unknown veneer top and sides. Walnut solid timber. Harewood (greyed ash) inside - as it is used as a pen box.
Red cedar (s) with Macassar ebony (v) top - real Mac ebony this time.
I had to dig deep in my box of veneer offcuts for this lot.

What I think is interesting about these is that each has a different side treatment. One has mitre keys, one has handcut dovetails and 2 have veneer feathers to lock the otherwise fragile mitre joints together.Using veneer feathers as mitre keys is very much my preferred method, as can be seen on the cocobolo it gives a very clean finish and doesnt interfere with the grain. I usually veneer-feather all the mitre joints, including top and base.

martrix
13th February 2007, 08:10 PM
Completely awesome Arron! I would give you ten greenies if I could.:2tsup:
Nice Pomele Sapele.:wink: :D

Arron
13th February 2007, 08:10 PM
I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome with the number of photos I'm posting.

A friend asked for a small trinket box for her Birthday. One looked rather lame on its own so I made two - of deliberately different size. These are made out of a man-made veneers in a pomelle style for the exterior and a square-cut style for the interiors. Apparently this is made by softening thin slices of poplar, rolling it up, pressing the rolls together with glue, and then taking thin slices off the end. Purists mightnt like it but I think it has great potential. It doesnt photo as well as it looks.

hope you like
Arron

Peter36
13th February 2007, 08:16 PM
[quote=Arron;461249]I have been making some boxes lately.

And making them very well Arron . Excellent craftmanship.I've been trying to work out how you have done the sides . Is the silver ash on the bottom of each side a veneer also . Very striking combination of timbers.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif
Peter

Sculptured Box
13th February 2007, 09:01 PM
Arron,

well done, a fine example of Australian craftsmanship!

Arron
13th February 2007, 10:58 PM
Yes, Peter, the silver ash on the side of the body is also a veneer. In fact the body is made of 9mm mdf, and pieces of veneer are cut, glued up, and then stuck to both the inside and outside of each side. The point is that the veneer marquetry is glued up as a single piece before it is glued to the mdf. The marquetry is slightly oversize, so it is then trimmed down on top and bottom, and each assembled side piece is cut to length with a neat 45degree mitre, using a mitre trimmer. Then the 4 side pieces are glued together with a band clamp. You get a very neat corner, but fragile, so it is stiffened up with mitre keys or veneer feathers. Its pretty easy, really. And its foolproof - mdf and mitre trimmers were made for each other. The solid wood is used for the band around the lid (into which a veneered ply is set), a lip at the top of the body, and one or two bands at the base. These are just cut and glued up like picture frames, again with mitre keys or feathers or whatever, just to strengthen the joint.

regards
Arron

ciscokid
14th February 2007, 03:56 AM
Excellent craftsmanship. Lovely boxes. I would really like to see a photo of one of the hinged boxes open showing the hinge detail.

Again - really nice work!

molarman
14th February 2007, 09:31 AM
Those are beautiful - every one of them. Excellent work!!

Wongo
14th February 2007, 09:38 AM
Arron,

You do do amazing work and you know that don’t you? Your work is always tidy and perfect in every way. Well done.

rod1949
14th February 2007, 09:49 AM
They're great:2tsup: ...now what about coffins:D

AlexS
14th February 2007, 10:07 AM
Very nice Arron.

Boxinator
14th February 2007, 11:20 AM
Arron, your boxes are beautiful. I think I like the first 2 you posted the best of all. Very clean and sharp line. Real nice mix of timber as well. What kind of a finish do you use on your boxes. Thanks for posting , I enjoyed them!

Corey

BobR
14th February 2007, 04:56 PM
Excellent work. Beautiful boxes.:2tsup:

Bwillie
14th February 2007, 08:33 PM
Great Work Aaron. Love to see the first two opened. Also, what finish did you use?

ICN,

Bill

Billylad
14th February 2007, 08:37 PM
Your boxes are fantastic , love the first two.Also would like to know what finish you use. well done.

Gecko
15th February 2007, 12:52 PM
Those are some fine looking boxes. I really really like the first one. Well done!

Harry72
15th February 2007, 07:36 PM
Wow is best word to some up that craftsmanship!
Very nice, "Purists mightnt like it but I think it has great potential."... bugger'em, its not like its plastic fantastic... not saying plastic isnt a medium that couldnt be used in woodwork.

Arron
15th February 2007, 09:40 PM
thanks for the nice responses.

Matrix, you should recognise the waterfall bubinga as well.

The finish is mostly three coats of sanding sealer well sanded back, then a coat or two of varnish applied slowly and carefully with a little artists paintbrush. The result is quite satisfactory. The exception is the cocobola one which I sprayed.

the hinges are just simple brass ones, reset into the top of the box. Attached is the only photo of an inside which I have available. Its just unfinished maple.

cheers
Arron

paul collins
15th February 2007, 10:01 PM
arron very nice work.contrasts are great.you inspire me to get off my a....:;

m2c1Iw
14th December 2007, 10:43 PM
I usually veneer-feather all the mitre joints, including top and base.

Arron,
I have been admiring your work and wondered if you might explain the term "veneer feather" as I have searched widely but can't find references.

The finish you achieve tops off great proportions and use of contrasting woods.

Cheers Mike

android
15th December 2007, 04:41 AM
brilliant boxes! all very well done.

RufflyRustic
15th December 2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Arron,

heck Mate! There's no 'just' at all with your boxes, except the "they are Just Superb":2tsup::)

I'm with Harry72, that rolled and cut poplar veneer is amazing! talk about a very striking and eye-catching box!!

Greenie fired!.

cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
15th December 2007, 10:23 AM
Arron's been a busy boy

I am going to be lazy

what everyone else has said :2tsup: I hang my head in shame :C

artme
15th December 2007, 11:15 PM
A truly stunning collection displaying wonderful craftsmanship.:brava:brava:brava

Fencepost2
15th December 2007, 11:36 PM
Great boxes. Trouble is I come in from the shed very happy with my new boxes, then I take a look at yours and I am brought down to reality. It will be a time before I post a picture in here! I am encouraged by your obvious delight in what you accomplish. Me too, though from a lower base. I am trying to master doing a decoupage feature on the top of my boxes, they don't look too bad to me, and maybe in a year or two I will venture a pic in here. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing your work and ideas. I too am curious about what is a feather veneer mitre joint.

ciscokid
16th December 2007, 12:01 AM
Again, beautiful boxes, Arron. Thanks for letting us in on your finishing secret. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
16th December 2007, 08:33 AM
Most excellent work on all of them, Aaron. I full understand & agree with your strategy of making a series of similar boxes once you have refined the particular techniques - makes perfect sense.

As a a matter of interest, whereabouts in Sydney to you source your exotic timbers & veneers? Like Mike, I am puzzled by the term "veneer feathers" as I too am unfamiliar with this. Also, how do you cut & fit your mitre keys?

Wayne

Arron
16th December 2007, 12:01 PM
Mike, I think this photo will explain what I mean by veneer feathers. I am fortunate to have a handsaw with a kerf of exactly the same thickness as the veneer, so I just slice longitudinally across the mitre joint and glue a piece of veneer in. Obviously not a joint of great structural strength but enough to stop the mitres coming apart when glued up into a box.

On the question of where I get my timber and veneer from; I was fortunate to get a big pile of veneer offcuts from a veneer merchant a while back. The solid timber is from Anagote or Trend timbers or sometimes cedar scavanged from council cleanups.

regards
Arron

Scally
17th December 2007, 12:16 PM
It sounds like a good way to add a little strength to the mitre joints.

You boxes look fantastic. Great workmanship finished off with very attractive veneers.

m2c1Iw
17th December 2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the reply Arron, another great idea to adopt it certainly adds a nice delicate touch.

Cheers Mike

HappyHammer
17th December 2007, 02:39 PM
Arron, Great boxes:2tsup:

Great boxes. Trouble is I come in from the shed very happy with my new boxes, then I take a look at yours and I am brought down to reality. It will be a time before I post a picture in here! I am encouraged by your obvious delight in what you accomplish. Me too, though from a lower base. I am trying to master doing a decoupage feature on the top of my boxes, they don't look too bad to me, and maybe in a year or two I will venture a pic in here. Meanwhile, thanks for sharing your work and ideas. I too am curious about what is a feather veneer mitre joint.
Don't be shy stick 'em up here and let everyone know you're still learning and you'll get encouragement and helpful advice. I've posted pictures of things I've made that are very very far from perfect so have a go and post us a picture of one of your boxes.:U If I miss it PM me and let me know it's there.

HH.

Billylad
17th December 2007, 02:51 PM
Arron, the mitre trimmer you use , is it the pitcher framing one.Would it trim the timber mitres you use on your lids ,your boxes are absolutle fantastic

Fencepost2
17th December 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your encouragement Happy Hammer. Maybe I shall risk it - if you promise not to laugh too much. :U

Arron
20th December 2007, 06:58 AM
Arron, the mitre trimmer you use , is it the pitcher framing one.Would it trim the timber mitres you use on your lids ,your boxes are absolutle fantastic

Yes, the picture framing type - I think they call them 'Lion clones', after the original brand. Its perfect for lids etc, in fact these days I use it to clean up the edge and get a perfect length after every crosscut, regardless of what i am making.

Billylad
21st December 2007, 12:04 PM
thanks arron,andmerry christmas.

Easty
4th March 2008, 08:08 PM
Great Work Aaron. Just a couple of questions.
Where can one get hold of some of that man made veneer?
Wouldn't mind having a crack at it myself.
Also, can anyone out there give me some advice on what to use to soften crinkly burl veneer? I have a couple of fantastic looking pieces but they are a bit crinkly and I'm worried they'll crack if I try to glue them to a substrate as is.

Howdya do that
5th March 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Easty,

I use a plastic spray bottle to dampen the veneer, leave it a while and you can feel it becoming supple (dont over do it). I then glue and press it to the base material straight away using Titebond II but you could use any water soluble glue.