PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Fluted Cutters

bob w
13th February 2007, 09:01 PM
:? Can anyone help with an outlet for spiral fluted cutters in central west NSW?
I have tried all the local hardware stores in Orange and all I get is blank looks and in one case a reply that claimed "they are all imported and noone is bringing them in anymore as they didn't sell".
What sizes are available and is one better than the other eg upcut v downcut?
Cheers
Bob W.

bsrlee
13th February 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm afraid your 'local shop' is going to be the Post Office :U

Carbatec import several spiral bits in both up and down flavours, as well CMT bits.

Another easy source is Lee Valley in Canada.

I think Carb-i-tool also manufacture spiral bits in Australia too.

They all have web sites & do on-line ordering. The web sites try to explain what bits to use for what, but I can never keep them sorted out:C

The other place to try is an engineering supplier like Hare & Forbes or Blackwoods etc who sell High Speed Steel (HSS) spiral milling cutter bits - less likely to break than solid carbide, cheaper but wear out faster & can't be re-sharpened readily either.

BobL
13th February 2007, 11:52 PM
What about McJing (http://www.mcjing.com.au/routerbits/index.htm). I bought two upcutters from them last year, a 1/4" and a 5/16, and have used them a fair bit without any problem.

Upcutters pull the waste towards the collet and hence are good for cutting grooves and channels

Downcutters are the reverse.

Cheers

Cruzi
14th February 2007, 12:14 AM
Thought the upcutters were for use on router table and downcutters for handheld router use?

Rocker
14th February 2007, 03:22 AM
Thought the upcutters were for use on router table and downcutters for handheld router use?

Nope; for normal woodworking usage (routing mortices or grooves), upcut is what you want, whether hand-held or in the router-table.

Rocker

beverard
15th February 2007, 04:39 AM
Take a look at infinitytools.com - they have highly rated bits, and are reasonably priced (with reasonably being relative to quality). I purchased some after alot of research on the web, and are very happy with the quality and service.:U

Harry72
15th February 2007, 07:15 PM
Infinity are available Colin at Northwoods. (http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/default.asp)
And this page (http://www.northwoodtools.com.au/categories.asp?cID=115) is the one you want.

Another good online shop for router bits is APworkshop (http://www.apworkshop.com.au/html/straight.html) (link will take you to the spirals page)

John Saxton
15th February 2007, 10:10 PM
Nope; for normal woodworking usage (routing mortices or grooves), upcut is what you want, whether hand-held or in the router-table.

Rocker

For a more detailed view look here

http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=33591&highlight=spiral+cutters

Cheers:)

bob w
17th February 2007, 11:23 PM
:2tsup: :2tsup: Thanks fellas for the advice. I will shop around on the sites you have given me and let you know where I get the best deal, service etc.
Thanks again for your help
Bob

Honorary Bloke
17th February 2007, 11:31 PM
Since it wasn't mentioned earlier, nor specifically in John's linked thread, I have found an excellent use for downcut spiral bits in drilling the holes for adjustable shelving pins. Keeps the edges nice and tight/smooth. :)

MikeThePom
18th February 2007, 11:32 PM
Bob,
Sorry I didn't see the post earlier. I use a place in Melbourne, when I used to live there, and they make the solid carbide bits to your specs and then post. I just transfer the money electronically and they do the rest. They are called Shoda Travers see details below. They also sharpen circular saw blades rather well.

Sam Travers
Shoda Travers (Aust) PTY LTD
39-41 Lakewood Blv
Braeside
Phone: +61 3 9580 7055
Fax: +61 3 9580 6171
Mobile: 0418 351 626

Regards

Mike

gpsmith
20th February 2007, 07:16 PM
I'd be surprised if a hardware store didn't have a carbitool catalogue in the place - they have got both kinds of spiral bits in 1/4? and 1/2". All the other suggestions above are correct - I bought the carbatec set at last years WWW in Melbourne - they seem to be ok so far.
regards,

bob w
21st February 2007, 07:17 AM
I'd be surprised if a hardware store didn't have a carbitool catalogue in the place - they have got both kinds of spiral bits in 1/4? and 1/2". All the other suggestions above are correct - I bought the carbatec set at last years WWW in Melbourne - they seem to be ok so far.
regards,

:2tsup: :2tsup: This is country NSW and most hardware stores would see carbatec as opposition not a supplier. Not only that but I get the feeling from the blank looks I have been getting that the staff I have talked to haven't got a clue what it is I am asking about.

We now have a Tool King store in this area(opened on the weekend) so they are now looking to see if they can source anywhere. If not I have decided to try the carbatec set and will order on line from the Canberra store.

Thanks to all that have replied to this thread your help as usual has been both informative and very helpful
Regards
Bob W:U :U

mat
22nd February 2007, 11:12 AM
Bob

Suggest you use Carbatec Sydney or Brisbane. The Canberra mob are not too efficient!

Harry72
22nd February 2007, 07:50 PM
BobW Carbatec and Carbitool are not the same company.
I'd doubt if any supermarket hardware store would have a Carbitool cat, prob have a sutton cat tho(not that helps)

outback
22nd February 2007, 07:58 PM
Actually my really small Home Hardware store has a Carbitool cattle dog. He's happy to order what I need, and Carbitool stuff is pretty good quality. I currently have a fetish for CMT router bits, pretty easy to order those over the net or the phone from Carbatec in Sydney.

Like Harry said, they are two different companies.