PDA

View Full Version : Alder bowl

La truciolara
14th February 2007, 08:17 AM
Do you turn a lot of Alder?
<O:p
Here in Europe </ST1:pvery few wood turners like it.
I find it a very nice, though light wood.<O:p
Here is an example of an Alder bowl mounted on an ebonised maple base.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
http://i8.tinypic.com/2gwyveq.jpg<O:p></O:p>

Gil Jones
14th February 2007, 08:44 AM
Claude,
This bowl is elegant, with graceful curves, and fine color.
I think it would be classy with or without the base.
Never turned Adler, but would like to after seeing your work.
Ciao,

ToolRest
14th February 2007, 08:55 AM
That's nice. The wood and the turning that is.

The only species of alder that grows where I live is very shrubby and it is hard to find anything big enough to make a pen from, let alone a bowl. It grows only so big then dies and rots.

BTW, did you turn this with the golden ratio in mind? It looks to me like width / height is mighty close to phi.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th February 2007, 04:34 PM
As you might realise, it's not a common wood around here. Any particular reason that the turners over there don't like it? A bit like radiata pine? (Now that is terrible stuff to turn!)

I'm not too sure that I like the addition of the foot on that bowl... in the photo it looks a tad small, as though the bowl will topple over any second. Of course, photo's can lie (and I find they often do. :rolleyes: )

Lovely grain, and I like the lines of the form. Very clean. :)

La truciolara
14th February 2007, 06:09 PM
BTW, did you turn this with the golden ratio in mind? It looks to me like width / height is mighty close to phi.<O:p</O:p
How did you guess ? :U <O:p</O:p

Any particular reason that the turners over there don't like it? …<O:p</O:p
I'm not too sure that I like the addition of the foot on that bowl... <O:p</O:p
The fibres are not really tight together and some time you have problems figuring out in which direction you have to use your gouges.<O:p</O:p
As far as the foot :C I must confess that I turned the bowl so thin, that I went through the bottom. I didn’t want to throw the piece away and turned a foot as little ugly as possible<O:p</O:p

BernieP
14th February 2007, 06:47 PM
G'Day Claude

Very nice colour, grain, and bowl.

Cheers
Bernie

Wayne Blanch
14th February 2007, 07:03 PM
As far as the foot :C I must confess that I turned the bowl so thin, that I went through the bottom. I didn’t want to throw the piece away and turned a foot as little ugly as possible<O:p</O:p

Mighty fine save Claude! :2tsup: I like it, I have a bowl in the shed that is going to get the same treatment:U

Zedster
14th February 2007, 08:32 PM
what happened to the bowl top right corner, looks like you have a mark on the wood or a tear out.
Not keen on the base, maybe it would have complimented the piece had it been turned from the same wood.

OGYT
15th February 2007, 03:37 AM
Elegant Ogee... well done!

rodent
15th February 2007, 05:03 AM
Well sounds like something funny happened while i was at the lathe the other day mmmm .Well saved sounds like your going to have to sharpen your shear scraper for the next one .