PDA

View Full Version : What to plant?

squashedfrog1
14th February 2007, 09:33 AM
Bit of a 2 part question.....

We've got a couple of acres on a west facing hill in North East Victoria that were ripped and fertilised about 5 years ago before the neighboring tree plantation people realised they'd overshot the boundary fence into my property. The fences have since been replaced and I've now got this lovely terraced section of hill going to waste.

In the bottom section, the neighbors even got around to planting out with blue gums and black wattle, many of which have taken and are doing well. What would have been the purpose of the black wattle. I heard it had something to do with the ph of the soil???? I'm wondering if I should do anything to "manage" this area.

We're on acid clay soils, up there it was quite rocky with mud shale but I believe the ripping was deep and thorough. Fantastic drainage on a hill face that you do NOT want to walk up more than once or twice, we've got heavy frosts, in "normal" years around 750mm average rainfall.

The native trees in the area are predominately red and yellow box, good big tall trees obviously hundreds of years old. Next door's plantation is blue gums and mahogany, both growing extremely well even in this damned drought.

There would be no chance of irrigation up there so whatever is planted must fend for itself.

Is there something anyone can recommend for a small area plantation?

Ianab
14th February 2007, 10:32 AM
The wattle may have been planted because it is a legume and is able to 'fix' nitrogen from the atmosphere. Growing them will help bring up the nitrogen level in the soil if it is low. They may also be using it as a nurse crop for the other trees. By giving the crop trees some shelter among another fast growing species they should grow faster and with better form. (straighter trunks and less branching). The shelter trees are then either trimmed out our just overtopped by the crop trees later.

As to what trees to plant... look at the local native species or whatever is successfully being grown in the vicinity. Those are the trees best suited to the environment. Of course soil type on your particualr patch is also an issue. Maybe if you plant the same as your neighbours there is a better chance of selling the trees come harvest if you can piggyback your harvest with his. Generally small stands of trees are difficult to sell as the economics of moving in machinery for only a days work isn't good. Likewise markets for 'oddball' species are hit and miss. But a good timber tree thats common in your area should have ready and established markets.

Cheers

Ian

dadpad
14th February 2007, 01:50 PM
I agree with all the comments by Ian. One thing extra is that specialty timber can be easier to sell in smaller lots, however you may need to consider on farm processing. ie get a faller in to fell the trees and an onsite mill to process. stack and sticker in a shed and wait for it to dry then market to specialty retailers.

As far as species go If the next door crop is 5 year old you probably wont be able to piggy back or will have to sacrifice diameter and dollars to get them to harvest.
It is likely that the black wattle is mainly being used as a nurse crop. This will be cut out at some stage down the track. My own experience with black wattle suggests not to persue this tree for timber at this time, although I think it has potential.

What to put in?
Spotted gum E maculata although frost tender has good apical dominance and will grow into a good timber tree.
E. globulose ssp globulose Tassie bluegum.
E.saligna Possibly a little dry on a west facing slope but worth trying
E. polyanthemos Red box would be worth a shot
Red Iron bark and sugar gum may also be options. (Thinnings for firewood).
some hybrid eucalypts are becoming available E glob X E camaldulensis is an example. Your drainage sounds too good for these though.

You will need to get some soil testing done for fertiliser and especially trace elements (cheap for the value you will get). If you can get the recipie from next door thats terrific.

You should prune to maximise the high value clearwood and thin out to reduce tension wood and maximise growth rates.
If you want me to come and have a look pm me and we can email or contact the http://www.afg.asn.au/branches/afg_branches.html AFG web site >Branches> NE Victoria branch. A lot may depend on your actual location.

Here are some links to have a look at.

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/

http://www.mtg.unimelb.edu.au/agroforestrynews.htm

MAPLEMAN
14th February 2007, 03:29 PM
I have similar soils at my parents place and they were advised by 2 different forest farming companies to plant silvicultures comprising of Silver Quendong, silky oak, white cedar, red cedar black bean etc. None of the 2000 tree planting survived. I put it down to the soils being all wrong for growing rainforest trees and they were advised to never water them. What a waste of money. I have decided that had they grown eucalyptus, sheoaks, acacias and other highly valuable timbers, even as fence posts they may have made a good return on their investment. The fact is you can just look around the area and see what grows there. If the area did not have rainforest there do not try to plant rainforest species there. Acacias are largely undervalued, Their timber is dark, dense and figured, usefull for many small crafts and usually edible seeds. I would recommend correctively pruning the Acacias, although not too heavily. May try some bunya nut pines and banksias too! Hit the specialty timber market, why not. Sandalwood is another good money spinner.:U

Buzza
14th February 2007, 04:27 PM
Some years back, I saw a conifer type of tree on display at Bunny's. I took a closer look as it really grabbed my attention and looked beautiful, and was about four feet tall in a half wine barrel. It was $400.00. This set me back a little, and so I read the label a lot more closely. It was a Yew tree. I've thought since that if one could grow Yew, a great legacy for the grandchildren could be set up. :cool:

matildasmate
10th September 2007, 01:55 AM
Bit of a 2 part question.....

We've got a couple of acres on a west facing hill in North East Victoria that were ripped and fertilised about 5 years ago before the neighboring tree plantation people realised they'd overshot the boundary fence into my property. The fences have since been replaced and I've now got this lovely terraced section of hill going to waste.

In the bottom section, the neighbors even got around to planting out with blue gums and black wattle, many of which have taken and are doing well. What would have been the purpose of the black wattle. I heard it had something to do with the ph of the soil???? I'm wondering if I should do anything to "manage" this area.

We're on acid clay soils, up there it was quite rocky with mud shale but I believe the ripping was deep and thorough. Fantastic drainage on a hill face that you do NOT want to walk up more than once or twice, we've got heavy frosts, in "normal" years around 750mm average rainfall.

The native trees in the area are predominately red and yellow box, good big tall trees obviously hundreds of years old. Next door's plantation is blue gums and mahogany, both growing extremely well even in this damned drought.

There would be no chance of irrigation up there so whatever is planted must fend for itself.

Is there something anyone can recommend for a small area plantation?
Hi Squashed frog I live in the lower southeast of South Australia about 70kms west of Mount Gambier a place called Hatherleigh . About 10 years ago I planted WA Karri (euc diversicolor) , I have had varying results mainly good some trees vary from 1' to 40' high estamated to grow to 90mtrs , about 300' high , I planted these to eventualy get some timber from and at worst I planned to get firewood for personal use and or to sell at aprox $100 a tonne x 2000 trees at a tonne each , I also have a chainsawmill , I built to prossess timber cheaply . I am now in the prossess of Growing from seed and planting Cypress trees (cypress is part of the conifer family , not a pine ) exstreemly good timber , very useful timber , can be used for fence posts 15-20 years inground weather boards some of the local shearing sheds have Cypress weather boards up to 90 years old and still looking good , also many other uses framing etc, heartwood is rot resistent termites hate the stuff beutiful timber , makes exelent log cabins . some other good timbers are sheoak , mahogany , Blackwood roughly $2000.00 m3 rainfall about 750mls a year here regards Manfred