PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Purchase

old_picker
15th February 2007, 03:52 PM
I want to get a new floor drill
I want an accurate machine with grunt. Accuracy is the prime concern. I mean by accuracy, no runout, no slop on the quill. I need to cut a 6mm hole with a fostner and have it dead round and 6 mm accross. If I want to stick a 6mm plug in i want it to fit snug If I want to put in a piece of 6mm plastic rod I want it to fit snug. I am using a 2 year old TTI which is a bit too wobbly for me. I am pretty fussy bout my tools and have high dollar tastes and a low dollar wallet

maybe $600 - $700 higher [gasp} :oo:

Carbatec have a $599 machine on the floor that looked good but I didnt see it running

Any suggestions ?

Big Shed
15th February 2007, 04:12 PM
Accuracy doesn't only depend on the drillpress. The chuck has a big influence as indeed has the forstner bit you are going to use. Why not take a magnetic base and dial gauge to the showroom and see what sort of run-out it has. Also take a straight steel rod and put that in the chuck and test that for run-out. One of the recent FWW had an article on testing your drill press for accuracy. Might as well do that in the showroom, saves carting it home and then taking it back again:rolleyes:. Then buy the one off the floor if it is any good, if not get them to put another together:oo:

Big Shed
15th February 2007, 04:16 PM
That was in FWW Jan/Feb 2006.

Big Shed
15th February 2007, 04:29 PM
That was in FWW Jan/Feb 2006.

Since I bought my magnetic base and dial gauge, I got a metric one but you can also get an imperial one, I have been able to fine tune quite a few of my machines, especially my jointer.

old_picker
15th February 2007, 04:41 PM
FWW ?? Sorry bout my ignorance
umm i tried a new total tools chuck which looks as though it is running out a fair bit
i paid $80 for it an they reckon its a pretty ok chuck so i dunno whether there is much hope for the TTI an that why I am thinkin of a new one.:2tsup:

I don't reckon you could adjust it out

Big Shed
15th February 2007, 04:43 PM
FWW ?? Sorry bout my ignorance

FWW=Fine Woodworking:2tsup: Magazine

MurrayD99
15th February 2007, 06:34 PM
FWW=Fine Woodworking:2tsup: Magazine

Also a recent thread on chuck runout drillpress tolerances - what should you expect etc.... and remedies

inferno6688
15th February 2007, 06:42 PM
I have teh Carbatec 16 speed DP, but the bench top model. I am very happy with it. :)

BobL
16th February 2007, 07:45 AM
I want to get a new floor drill
I want an accurate machine with grunt. Accuracy is the prime concern. I mean by accuracy, no runout, no slop on the quill.
Any suggestions ?

Firstly you probably need to change your expectations.:D Even high quality forstner bits will have runout let alone the components of all basic DPs. Even precision metal working DPs and mills have some runout. The question is what is the minimum you are prepared to work with. In many cases the DP is not the limiting fact, and the other two significant factors "operator" and "materials" can dominate the problem. For operators its their ability to position/align pieces under the DP. Even if you rig up jigs to assist alignment, timber, unlike metal will vary slightly even within the same piece. Taking all these factors into account, a few 10ths of a mm is all you are likely to get with most timber and this should be sufficient for most purposes.

Anyway - read this thread to get some actual runout values. - http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44272

mat
16th February 2007, 09:20 AM
Try and find a second hand Brobo (made in Australia)

Graham Sands
16th February 2007, 07:39 PM
I have a Carba-Tec 16. I was dissapointed with the amount of runout (.5mm) so I took it back and changed it for another with much the same runout. I was told it was within tolerance.

I subsequently tested a Jet (at Power Tools and Machinery) and it had virtually no runout, unfortunately it is too big a machine for my shop.

It would seem to me that the Jet was a far better machine, more expensive though.

Chris Parks
18th February 2007, 11:38 PM
GHD22 here

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php

if you can't find a 2nd hand Brobo. Accuracy costs unfortunately.