PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Figured Myrtle table

WoodWad
17th June 2003, 09:34 PM
Hey all,

I have recently completed this Tas Figured Myrtle hall table finished in Organoil, and would love to read your opinion. :)

Good day.

quandong
17th June 2003, 10:26 PM
MMMMMMM! Myrtle, love the stuff. Nice job on the table, the rail is different but it all comes together very neatly. Keep us posted on future works.

Quandong

:)

Wood Borer
18th June 2003, 10:14 AM
Woodwad,

Looks really good, do you exhibit your work?

Quite often exhibitions are looking for such work and although there is plenty of good pieces out there, they are not put in exhibitions for one reason or another.

If you are a member of a Club that is in the Council of Victorian Woodwork Clubs why not consider putting in next year's exhibition?

Send me an EMAIL if you want further information.

- Wood Borer

Sime
16th July 2003, 01:58 PM
Hi WoodWad,

The Table looks great. I have a love for Tassie Mrytle too - infact I am about to make all my kitchen doors out of it. Do you reckon that Organoil would stand up in this sort of environment, or would a poly-u finish be better?

WoodWad
17th July 2003, 02:15 PM
Hey Sime,

The Organoil did give a fairly good finish on the Myrtle, however to be honest, I probably should have used a wax finish. Particulary in the kitchen, the timber may be susceptible to knocks and scratches, so I would advise against the Organoil. I have tried a Shellac base coat with EEE on top, and finished with a wax, and the result was a much tougher, smoother and lustrous finish. I guess you could go for poly, but I have found that maintaining a damaged surface coated in poly is more difficult. It also doesn't penetrate the timber as well.

Hope this is of some help.
Wad.:)