PDA

View Full Version : Home-vac to Shop-vac conversion

niki
18th February 2007, 04:17 AM
G'day mates

The box is made of 15mm melamine with silicon and screws.
For perfect fitting, I made the box as one unit and than cut it to 2 on the TS.

I enlarged all the hoses (also the vac inlet port) to 2" (50mm) dia to get better airflow.

The advantage of one unit is that I can roll it near the machine/tool and keep the hose very short (around 1 Meter) and by that, increase the efficiency.

Because of the "pre-filter", this vac can "eat" everything. Most of the dust is trapped by the pre-filter and only very small particles are reaching the main filter (bag) that I seldom change.

The pre-filter is very easy to clean, just a wash under the water tap and it dries in 15 minutes.

Regards
niki

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Shop%20Vac/DC1.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Shop%20Vac/DC2.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Shop%20Vac/DC3.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Shop%20Vac/DC4.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t104/nanikami/Shop%20Vac/DC5.jpg

Harry72
18th February 2007, 07:37 AM
Works pretty good then, I just use a 20lt bucket and a wire cage wrapped in polo shirts that I get for xmas!

Gumby
18th February 2007, 07:46 AM
I don't want to appear to be negative about your work here niki, but there is a better way.

When the pre filter gradually gets clogged up with dust as per your photo, it reduces the air flow dramatically. You need to be constantly tapping that dust off and getting it to drop down into the bucket, much like happens in the Triton Dust bucket which was designed the same way.

You would be much better off if it was designed as a mini cyclone and dispense with the pre filter all together. Then your air flow remains strong all the time.

There's a video explaining it all here: Mini Cyclone (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=40920)

niki
18th February 2007, 08:38 AM
Thank you

Harry72
My wife would kill me if she knew that I'm using the x-mass gift as DC

Gamby
Cyclone, usually requires more powerful motor and bigger construction.

The pre-filter that you see in the pic is after a 2~3 days of normal working (during summer - now I'm in my winter hibernation) including vacuuming the garage floor every day (the car must go in).

Normally, I feel when the filter is clogging and than, I just replace it with new one in 2 minutes.
For me, as an amateur, this shop vac is fulfilling my requirements for the router, sanders and CS (I even used it for the TS with very good results).

Soon I'll post the other shop vac that I made (R2D2) that is more powerful and I used some of the cyclone principals and it's dedicated to the TS.

Reading in various posts about DC, I understand that even for cyclone you need filters that are usually much more expensive (HEPA) than my 10 cents pre-filter.

I could not watch the video, probably I'm not equiped with the latest hi-tech on my Windows 98 PC (like me - old and slow).

Best regards
niki

jmk89
18th February 2007, 09:08 AM
Niki

I agree with Gumby - make a cyclone - your vac will be more than powerful enough - mine has a bad case of asthma but still sucks well enough:U .

If you can't see the video - here's the written article (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~stuart.lees/triton/Pages/Newsletters/dust%20bucket%20mod.pdf) in pdf format.

Cheers

Jeremy

Gumby
18th February 2007, 09:09 AM
Reading in various posts about DC, I understand that even for cyclone you need filters that are usually much more expensive (HEPA) than my 10 cents pre-filter.

I could not watch the video, probably I'm not equiped with the latest hi-tech on my Windows 98 PC (like me - old and slow).

Best regards
niki

The mini cyclone has no filter at all. That's the point. No filter means no clogging. :)

Your windows 98 PC will download the videos just fine. It's your internet connection which determines the speed, not the PC. If you have broadband it will work.

niki
18th February 2007, 09:35 AM
Jmk89

Thanks for the PDF link.

Gumby

I have 512 mb connection. I "captured" the window so you can see what I get.

niki

Gumby
18th February 2007, 09:48 AM
Jmk89

Thanks for the PDF link.

Gumby

I have 512 mb connection. I "captured" the window so you can see what I get.

niki

That's a torrent file, not the video. You need to read the instructions posted here : Video intructions (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=40902)

But the process is as follows:

1. Download and install Azureus from here Azureus (http://sourceforge.net/projects/azureus/)
2. Download the video torrent file (which you have done)
3. rename the torrent file by deleting the '.txt' on the end and save it
4. Double click on the renamed torrent file and Azureus will commence downloading the appropriate video automatically.

Trust me niki, it will be worthwhile. The link to the pdf which Jeremy gave you is well worth reading as well. You don't have to use a Triton bucket to do this. A cheap plastic bucket from your local hardware store will do just as well.
You are on the right track with your dust collection efforts but changing the square bucket to a round one and adding a second bucket to catch it underneath will make all the difference. You will be amazed at how well it works. :wink:
:)

niki
18th February 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Gumby

If you gave me a job with all those downloads...
I hop that the files are not too big for my 3 GB [(yes, only 3) - (don't laugh too loud)] HD that only 1 GB is free (that's why all my pics are in Photobucket).
Anyway, I'll try to download tomorrow

In the mean time have a look at my R2D2 that is more "cyclonic".

niki

Gumby
18th February 2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks Gumby

If you gave me a job with all those downloads...
I hop that the files are not too big for my 3 GB [(yes, only 3) - (don't laugh too loud)] HD that only 1 GB is free (that's why all my pics are in Photobucket).
Anyway, I'll try to download tomorrow

In the mean time have a look at my R2D2 that is more "cyclonic".

niki

yes it is. Round beats square. :U

That hard drive is pretty small :oo: but the video is only 85MB. maybe you could download it and store it on a CD or DVD.

niki
18th February 2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Gumby

I don't have CD/DVD burner but let's see tomorrow

It's after midnight on this side of the pond and I'm going to sleep

Thanks again
niki

crookedcut
18th February 2007, 12:41 PM
it looks like your computer is as updated as my workshop...wanna trade...lol

niki
18th February 2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Crookedcut

No problem at all, at least old tools worth something but old computer...I have to pay to get rid of it. :)

niki

Shedhand
18th February 2007, 07:49 PM
40383 G'day Niki, Gumby wrote that so he understands it... :U:U:U

niki
19th February 2007, 05:25 AM
G'day Gumby

So, I downloaded the Frog (Azureus) and started to download the "Mini cyclone" 85 MB file at 9 kb/sec and it told me that it will take some 2.5 hours but then the computer "freezed", I got the "too low resources" massage and I had to switch off manually because I could not even "restart".

It looks like I'm still not equipped to "fly to the moon" :B

Thanks for trying to help
niki

Gumby
19th February 2007, 08:04 AM
G'day Gumby

So, I downloaded the Frog (Azureus) and started to download the "Mini cyclone" 85 MB file at 9 kb/sec and it told me that it will take some 2.5 hours but then the computer "freezed", I got the "too low resources" massage and I had to switch off manually because I could not even "restart".

It looks like I'm still not equipped to "fly to the moon" :B

Thanks for trying to help
niki

oh well. if it started then you must have done everything properly. Maybe try again but shut down any other programs while it downloads.

Shedhand
19th February 2007, 10:01 AM
Niki I've sent you a PM.
Cheers

niki
20th February 2007, 04:17 AM
Gumby
Thank you so much for the efforts

Shedhand
Thank you so much for your kind offer

I downloaded and watched the "Mini cyclone" on SWMBO's PC (and that will cost me...:) )

The beginning with "Star war" music is beautiful and fits so much to my R2D2 shop vac.

I'm not sure that I will make the same but it gave me some good idea to modify mine.

btw, who is the nice guy on the video, he has some kind of Australian accent...I think...:)

Thanks again for your replies and help
Best regards
niki

Gumby
20th February 2007, 07:44 AM
btw, who is the nice guy on the video, he has some kind of Australian accent...I think...:)

Australians don't have accents :D

Honorary Bloke
20th February 2007, 07:50 AM

That was Crocodile Dundee. :D :rolleyes:

Just George
20th February 2007, 07:12 PM
Well done Gumby, you should have put a patent on your CYCLONE and sold them - you'd be able to retire by now.

When I read what this thread was about, I wondered how many posts there would be before the CYCLONE was mentioned.

Gumby
20th February 2007, 09:23 PM
Well done Gumby, you should have put a patent on your CYCLONE and sold them - you'd be able to retire by now.

When I read what this thread was about, I wondered how many posts there would be before the CYCLONE was mentioned.

Well, at least we didn't say the 'D' word :D

Sturdee
21st February 2007, 03:59 PM

Patenting the Sturdee Mini Cyclone, :~ :no: :no: :no:

Peter.

Shedhand
21st February 2007, 06:37 PM
OK. I went to Bunnies and bought 2 Orange Buckets. I have the Arlec shop vac. I have plumbing fittings and glue. Need 2 big funnels. Got some paint buckets. Got some MDF.
Now all I gotta do is watch the viseo again and make a couple. Is it possible to run both cyclones of the one vac? with each cyclone connected to its own tool.

Sturdee
21st February 2007, 07:05 PM
Is it possible to run both cyclones of the one vac? with each cyclone connected to its own tool.

Depends on the suction power of the vac. If strong enough you could use a y fitting to join the two cyclones to the vac, but why do you want to do this?

With some quick release fittings (some plastic pipe to tempory join two hoses) you can use the one cyclone with all your hand held tools.

Peter.

Shedhand
21st February 2007, 07:24 PM
Depends on the suction power of the vac. If strong enough you could use a y fitting to join the two cyclones to the vac, but why do you want to do this?

With some quick release fittings (some plastic pipe to tempory join two hoses) you can use the one cyclone with all your hand held tools.

Peter.I want to have one of the buckets under my router bench to take the dust from my boxmaking with the giflkins and leave it there and use the other bucket for the Domino, ROS, Belt Sander and Biscuit joiner and Band Saw. My router table is fixed and part of another hefty bench I've added to the shed. Because the Wally thicknesser has a blower chip chute, i can feed that out through the shed wall into a 44 gallon drum via 4 inch PVC pipe. And on second thoughts the vac won't need to serve both cyclones simultaneously.
Cheers
Mike

Gumby
21st February 2007, 09:14 PM
And on second thoughts the vac won't need to serve both cyclones simultaneously.
Cheers
Mike

Then you've just answered your own question. :)

Shedhand
22nd February 2007, 12:01 AM
Then you've just answered your own question. :)I like rhetorical questions. Its like talking to yourself but no-one can say you're nuts. :U