PDA

View Full Version : What Sorta Doors Are On Your Shed?

echnidna
18th February 2007, 09:43 PM
Most of my sheds have been some sorta garage.
I've had hinged doors and roller doors but my favorite is a tiltadoor as you get a nice little verandah at the front of the shed when its open.

What sort of doors do you prefer

scooter
18th February 2007, 11:25 PM
I like the tiltadoor too, Bob, especially when it's raining and you can leave it open.

Mine is only held closed by the two "slamshut" (my word) spring loaded latches on either side, & has about an inch gap on each side of the door, would prefer a more secure locking system. Thinking either long rods that locate in holes in the outer frame of the doorway, or a pin that goes down vertically into a hole drilled in the concrete floor. Either way would lose the advantage of being able to lock it when opening up & closing it by slamming the door.

Cheers..................Sean

Honorary Bloke
18th February 2007, 11:40 PM
I have two doors on my shed, a wooden rollup door and a regular service door. Here's a piccy:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2007, 12:31 AM
Frankly, I couldn't care less about what type of door was on my "dream shed" provided that 'twas big enough to move machinery in/cabinetry out and, most importantly, I didn't have to faff around with a jimmy bar or something to open it!

I've a sliding door on the back, tilt-a-door on the front and ordinary lockable entry door on the side. The slab moves with the seasons, jamming the entry door in Summer and making it prone to fly open with the slightest gust of wind in Winter.

The Tilt-a-door... well, slamming it doesn't work. Gotta hold it down and kick/lever/pry both bottom corners until you hear them "click." Opening is a nightmare. The sliding door out back works well, but uses a deadlock on the inside so ya gotta get into the shed through one of the other two to open it. :( Else I'd weld the other two up and only use the back! :D

(Actually, that's not quite true... it'd probably be easier to fix one of the others and I obviously haven't done that, so why would I bother setting up the welder? :p )

watson
19th February 2007, 06:03 AM
No door at the moment...front or back......big wind.
Regards,
Noel

Harry72
19th February 2007, 08:00 AM
Mine, front has a pair of barn doors the width of the shed(18'), a 3m slider on the side and a 1.8m swing at the back... no windows.

OBBob
19th February 2007, 12:41 PM
Still have to build the shed on my current place :) ... but my last one had double barn doors. I loved being able to open it right up and hand long things out or just work outside in the natural light.

rod1949
19th February 2007, 01:28 PM
For my 5m wide x 2.7m high opening I've got 2 double bi-fold doors with a person enterance door in one of the folds. All steel framed and clad in custom orb.

ozwinner
19th February 2007, 03:11 PM
Ive just got a door hole but no shed.
Im going to build the shed around the door hole....

Al :doh:

rod1949
19th February 2007, 03:17 PM
Ive just got a door hole but no shed.
Im going to build the shed around the door hole....

Al :doh:

Make sure you build the shed to suit the hole... don't wana see any gaps around the hole... Bugger me hole dosen't fit, made the shed to small:D

Doughboy
19th February 2007, 03:43 PM
Yep I have two tiltadoors. Great for rainy days but you do lose some space with them.

Pete

SilentButDeadly
20th February 2007, 11:45 AM
In this new shed, this has been the first shed I've had with a sliding door. And it is a ripper. 3.5 metres square so a lovely big opening so no trouble getting stuff in or out and dead simple to secure.

Had tilt, roller and barn doors in other sheds but this one beats them all.

Bluegum
20th February 2007, 09:01 PM
I've got 2 large doors that just open out into the yard. I really wish it had roller doors so as I could work in there when the weather is chucking a bit of the wet stuff down. As the way the doors open it usually means that the rain tends to blow in. No real complaints as my shed still suites my purpose.:2tsup:

MurrayD99
23rd February 2007, 03:58 AM
This is one bay of the haybarn, enclosed and with a decent floor. Roller door opens it up to the rest of the barn - nice place to work on a hot day. Standard door to the left for normal to & fro. Just finished (well, nearly) cladding the walls with 1/2 inch ply and fibreglass insulation.

rod1949
23rd February 2007, 09:11 AM
Hay! MurrayD99 I told ya me shed was green so please deliver that saw bench to the right shed:D .

MurrayD99
23rd February 2007, 03:56 PM
Too late.... I been busy painting too...:D

jaspr
23rd February 2007, 05:33 PM
Mine's had the roller door replaced with sliding glass doors - facing north. It's great in winter in this cold clime - warms up nicely. Warm days I leave them open - it's almost like working outside.

On very hot days like today I have to leave the heavy curtains (!!:- ) closed and open up the side windows for natural light.

JB
14th February 2008, 02:55 PM
this has been the first shed I've had with a sliding door.

G'day SBD. I want to fit a 3m wide sliding door in the side of my shed. Could you advise me on what sliding systems are available?

journeyman Mick
15th February 2008, 01:39 AM
I have the best type of doors on my shed - free or close to free doors.:D
Personal access door is a solid bliockboard type door picked up from a job, complete with a good keyed entrance set. 2 large roller doors (about 3.6M & 3M wide) @$150 each and 1x 2.4M wide which I picked up as a set of three @ $150 including a motor and remote for one of them. The two extras are going onto the small shed extension (shortly). I also scored two brand new steel cased blockboard doors complete with metal jambs from my neighbour. He was going to tip them.:oo: One will go on my office when I build it, the other will be the new entrance door when I do the major extension (90 - 120M2) in the next 12 months or so.

Mick

hitch
15th February 2008, 11:04 AM
I have two rollers on mine - seems for the cars mainly. #@*!

SilentButDeadly
15th February 2008, 01:39 PM
G'day SBD. I want to fit a 3m wide sliding door in the side of my shed. Could you advise me on what sliding systems are available?

Try doing a search for 'wheel hangers'......but what you are after is something like this http://www.hendersonrmd.com.au/tophung/singlerun300&450.pdf You can also find them at Bunnings in the castors section.

TommyC
15th February 2008, 02:48 PM
Roller door. Good for access for big items and for letting in the fresh air / sunshine. 2 x single doors at rear. I like Roller doors, because they dont take up much room when they are open.

JB
15th February 2008, 10:39 PM
thanks sbd, that helps

Yonnee
20th February 2008, 09:19 PM
Sliding doors for me.

My first shed had 9' walls and single roller doors with removable mullion. Great for being able to open one or the other or both either full or part way depending on access required and weather. Only problem was that even with modifying the brackets to raise the doors as high as they would go, the highest point of the opening was 7'6".

Next shed (rental property) was also 9' walls with a tilt-a-door. Much higher opening, but required the use of a rope to close it, and there were only two choices... ...fully open, or fully closed. Also, even with the higher opening, it still wouldn't fit a horse float or a full height caravan with an A/C to be able to work on them.

Now, the current shed has 10' walls and sliding doors. Gives me everything I need...
...9'6" high access, open as far or as little as I want (both doors can open to give me 6 metres accross), and my 7 year old "short stuff" son can open and close them without a rope.