PDA

View Full Version : New workbench - butt ugly but didn't cost a penny!

rhancock
18th February 2007, 10:44 PM
After a good 12 months perving on the threads about workbenches, finally got time and permission to build my own. Problem is of course I'm broke, so had to use materials to hand, and existing tools too. In the end I think its a bench to build The Bench, probably in 10 years or so.

Most of the wood came from a mates deck (you can still see the screw holes), but the 4 legs are treated something that I found under the house when I bought it. Couldn't afford coachbolts, so at the moment its screwed with roofing screws, which I'll replace as money permits. Had a tin of Cetol HLS so used that, although it darkened the wood considerably, particularly the base which is undressed.

It still needs back and side braces, but I can do those at my leisure (or never). I'll also put a shelf at the bottom. I was going to stack stuff on it, but someone on another thread suggested pigeon holes for power tools which I think is a great idea. I'll also put two shallow drawers just under the benchtop for those things you want all the time (where do all the tape measures go?). I will also fit a woodworkers vice as soon as I can steal one...

I decided to take the easy route and screw the top down from the top. I had hoped to be able to use dowel to fill the screw holes, but I haven't found any the right size yet.

Its the biggest single thing I've built (I"'m a part time JOAT, so mainly fix stuff), and if you look closely, you'll see that the accuracy of the cuts isn't very good - still waiting for the old man's tenon saw to arrive from England.

So, what I'd do differently: (If I had more time and money). I'd like to have dressed all the timber, but just didn't have time. Spending twice as long on the joints would have improved them 10 times. I'd rather have waxed it than oiled. Choosing the timber rather than just using what I had would be nice too.

Finally, 2 questions:

1) what sort of wood have I used?
2) What sort of wood is good to use (I live in subtropical Brisbane, and I'm terrified of termites...)

Thanks

scooter
18th February 2007, 11:15 PM
Looks great, mate :)

Santalum
19th February 2007, 05:56 AM
Looks pretty functional to me, well done.:2tsup: Jon.

masoth
19th February 2007, 06:39 AM
"(I live in subtropical Brisbane, and I'm terrified of termites...)"

You've nothing to worry about unless you stand very still for a long time, in the dark and with damp feet.

soth:sorry:

echnidna
19th February 2007, 07:27 AM
A good looking workbench

rodent
19th February 2007, 07:51 AM
Tuff as nails looks like it will last better than my first one .

Wongo
19th February 2007, 09:08 AM
Looks good mate.

martrix
19th February 2007, 09:25 AM
After a good 12 months perving on the threads about workbenches, finally got time and permission to build my own. Problem is of course I'm broke, so had to use materials to hand, and existing tools too. In the end I think its a bench to build The Bench, probably in 10 years or so.

Most of the wood came from a mates deck (you can still see the screw holes), but the 4 legs are treated something that I found under the house when I bought it. Couldn't afford coachbolts, so at the moment its screwed with roofing screws, which I'll replace as money permits. Had a tin of Cetol HLS so used that, although it darkened the wood considerably, particularly the base which is undressed.

It still needs back and side braces, but I can do those at my leisure (or never). I'll also put a shelf at the bottom. I was going to stack stuff on it, but someone on another thread suggested pigeon holes for power tools which I think is a great idea. I'll also put two shallow drawers just under the benchtop for those things you want all the time (where do all the tape measures go?). I will also fit a woodworkers vice as soon as I can steal one...

I decided to take the easy route and screw the top down from the top. I had hoped to be able to use dowel to fill the screw holes, but I haven't found any the right size yet.

Its the biggest single thing I've built (I"'m a part time JOAT, so mainly fix stuff), and if you look closely, you'll see that the accuracy of the cuts isn't very good - still waiting for the old man's tenon saw to arrive from England.

So, what I'd do differently: (If I had more time and money). I'd like to have dressed all the timber, but just didn't have time. Spending twice as long on the joints would have improved them 10 times. I'd rather have waxed it than oiled. Choosing the timber rather than just using what I had would be nice too.

Finally, 2 questions:

2) What sort of wood is good to use (I live in subtropical Brisbane, and I'm terrified of termites...)

Thanks
Looks like a pretty good job with limited amount of machinery you have.:2tsup: Get a vice on there and you wont know yourself.:U

As for the wood, looks like maybe Brushbox? Was it very hard and dense, as well as feeling quite heavy?

rhancock
19th February 2007, 09:31 AM
As for the wood, looks like maybe Brushbox? Was it very hard and dense, as well as feeling quite heavy?

It is pretty heavy, and hard too, although I've cut harder, centuries old oak for instance. I think the deck was about 30 years old. Did they use Brushbox on decks then?

martrix
19th February 2007, 09:35 AM
It is pretty heavy, and hard too, although I've cut harder, centuries old oak for instance. I think the deck was about 30 years old. Did they use Brushbox on decks then?

Yes, i think so as its very durable.
Someone up your way will know........"Journeyman?"

falcon
19th February 2007, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't say its butt ugly. Good job and functional which is all you need.

And the best part - didnt cost a penny. What more could you ask for I say.

Bob38S
19th February 2007, 10:14 AM
Great use of recycled wood - as has been said, get a vice on there, make a few bench dogs, and you won't know yourself.
Regards,
Bob

Andy Mac
19th February 2007, 10:39 AM
Good job Rhancock, better than my first couple of benches!:2tsup:
As for not affording real coachbolts, I go to a proper nut and bolt supplier (not a hardware shop) and buy threaded bar and as many nuts 'n' washers as you can afford. Cut it into desired lengths and use nuts on both ends, even welding one on if you have a welder. Works out a lot cheaper, especially when you're after really long ones.:)

Cheers,

Bleedin Thumb
19th February 2007, 11:58 AM
Yes looks the part! I know what you mean about using second hand timber- everything is a compromise. and takes twice as long.

It maybe the cetol but those legs looks as if they have been treated with creosote. Yukky stuff.

journeyman Mick
19th February 2007, 02:07 PM
Yes, i think so as its very durable.
Someone up your way will know........"Journeyman?"

Brisbane to Cairns : 1701.31km
Brisbane to Melbourne: 1680.47km

I'm only 20km closer than you martrix, sorry, looks like some eucalypt to me.

"(I live in subtropical Brisbane, and I'm terrified of termites...)"

You've nothing to worry about unless you stand very still for a long time, in the dark and with damp feet.

soth:sorry:

And you've got a wooden leg :wink:

The best sort, free timber

Unless you're putting it outside or in a dirt floor shed it shouldn't be a worry. Your building should have some form of termite barrier in/on/around it. If they do get into your garage/shed and attack your bench it will be an early warning that your termite defenses are not up to scratch and that your building is under threat.

Mick