PDA

View Full Version : Like to hear how you create your curved templates ?

JDarvall
18th February 2007, 11:23 PM
Like to hear all the details.....any tips.

When I mean template, I mean, a shape cut out from ply or masonite for the router bit bearing to run on.

But how do you go about shaping these templates ? Want them accurate obviously cause there a direct transfer to your work.

In the past I've just used drawn the shape on freehand onto the ply,,,,,jigsawed close to the line, then cleaned it up by hand with spokeshaves etc. Then just use double sided tape to adhere the template to the work, jigsawed close to the template then routed the match with a flush bit...etc. ......or skip the tape and screw in if the screw holes will sit in waste.

Got any other ideas ? something to improve on that. transfer tips ?

Lignum
18th February 2007, 11:51 PM
Mr Darvall, I use this. Its the best way of curved templating i have come across. The ribbed plastic bends into any shape and you just nail or staple it to your template material and the template guide for the router (shown pic 2) just runs on and around it for the perfect shape of your choice.:wink: :)

NewLou
19th February 2007, 12:05 AM
Gidday tripper:)

In my first few attempts at using template guides I made crap rough n ready templates which obviously gave how ya goin results.

The method I use after lots a trial n error is to rough out on a template first cutting about 2mil from the markout lines on the Bandsaw. Smoothing the template close to its final shape using a drum sander Set up on the drill press.

The thing I spend a heap more attention to now is fairing the guide as accurately and smoothly as possible.

I use a combination of different files finishing of with sand paper double sticked to a flexable piece of stock so that it can easily follow the contours of the template.

I regularly check the results by feel which helps pick up on any small hard to see inaccuracies....................this method has worked well for me!

REgards Lou:D :D :D

journeyman Mick
19th February 2007, 12:37 AM
Jake,
for arcs I just use a protractor type extension on the router, I've done them to 7M radius from memory. For other curves, if I can I'll spring a batten and tack iot to the bit of MDF and router straight off it to produce a fair template. Otherwise it's the old draw, redraw, cut with jigsaw and clean up with spokeshave/planer/plane/sander.

Lignum,
looks great, what's it called and where can I get it?

Mick

joe greiner
19th February 2007, 01:13 AM
For really weird shapes, I draw in CAD with proper offset for baseplate, roller, or bushing, as appropriate. Print full size. If larger than paper size, I add registration marks to join prints. Attach to thin plywood, masonite, etc. with spray adhesive. Cut out on scroll saw. Sand edges, checking smoothness with finger as Lou suggests. Leave some waste cutoff on the workpiece, and attach the template there with screws. If possible, attach on the workpiece side so oops goes into the waste. With CAD drawings, I've done stuff I wouldn't even attempt otherwise; sometimes the centre of an arc could be in neighbour's kitchen, and hard to swing with a router compass.

Joe

journeyman Mick
19th February 2007, 01:32 AM
..............sometimes the centre of an arc could be in neighbour's kitchen, and hard to swing with a router compass...............

I have very understanding neighbours:D
It's the ones on the other side of them that got upset when I had to tack the pivot point into the shag pile in their lounge...:o

Mick

Cabbie
19th February 2007, 07:52 AM
I will either draw it in CAD and print it off 1-1 scale then place it on the timber cutting with either a band saw or a scroll saw or I will do a set out on the ground and go through a trial and error basis.

David L
19th February 2007, 03:27 PM
Come on Lignum fess up, what is the strip and where do we get it ?
Looks like a good idea.

ozwinner
19th February 2007, 03:47 PM
Ive used the plastic yellow tongue from chipboard flooring before.

Al :q (all I could find was a red one)

JDarvall
19th February 2007, 05:09 PM
Ta.

Interested in Lignums plastic thingo too. You didn't make it yourself did you?.....kinda looks like you could have done it on the table saw from a bit plastic blank....no. probably not..

simso
20th February 2007, 04:28 PM
With cnc router

chrisp
20th February 2007, 05:09 PM
In the past I've just used drawn the shape on freehand onto the ply,,,,,jigsawed close to the line, then cleaned it up by hand with spokeshaves etc. Then just use double sided tape to adhere the template to the work, jigsawed close to the template then routed the match with a flush bit...etc. ......or skip the tape and screw in if the screw holes will sit in waste.

Got any other ideas ? something to improve on that. transfer tips ?

I do as you do BUT, I use the first template to make another (working) template. This way it doesn't matter if the first template (meta-template?) has truly square edges, as long as it is smooth. The working template will have square edges and therefore it won't be as susceptible to changing the height of the router bit.

Just George
20th February 2007, 06:17 PM
Become an apprentice, I'm learning about elipses at TAFE this very week, we're making an half eliptical hall table. That is something you learn all about during your TAFE block training...

watson
20th February 2007, 08:10 PM
G'day,
I think this is the same as my"d***" is bigger than your "d***"
CNC.... Can you afford one???
Become an apprentice......at 64???
How, as a woodworker, with not much disposable income, do you make a template???

Its about time we got a real answer.
Thank you ozwinner.....Lignum...where are you????

Sorry, I can't claim PMT ....but I can claim a hell of a lot of PTSD.

Get real and give us a "real" answer.

Regards,
Noel.......With a very small D**k

simso
20th February 2007, 08:16 PM
Well you said how does everyone do it, okay prior to cnc days Really really simple, attach a piece of wood and nail it on one end then attach the other end to your router nails screw whatever it takes then put a 6mm cutter on and cut out a perfect circle its that simple and then you can use that circle as a template from now on
Steve

watson
20th February 2007, 09:44 PM
G'day Steve,
The original poster asked about curved templates, not circles. We, even us old farts, have jigs to cut circles, which we probably learnt before CNC days.
The whole point of my post was we are not answering the original question.....we are just answering with one- upmanship.
Sorry for being so uppity......must be a bad hair day.......but the original post was for different methods..not a lesson on how to suck eggs with expensive egg suckers.

Regards,
Noel

Cabbie
20th February 2007, 09:56 PM
G'day Steve,
The original poster asked about curved templates, not circles. We, even us old farts, have jigs to cut circles, which we probably learnt before CNC days.
The whole point of my post was we are not answering the original question.....we are just answering with one- upmanship.
Sorry for being so uppity......must be a bad hair day.......but the original post was for different methods..not a lesson on how to suck eggs with expensive egg suckers.

Regards,
Noel

I see where u are coming from hehe. That is why I suggested my suggestions. I also have access to a CNC which I use quite often and it makes jobs a lot easier. I program and run it at work but I still believe in knowing how to do the job without the fancy machinery before using it. I feel sorry for a lot of apprentices now days as they arent learning half the skills I have been taught due to the increase of CNC's now.

simso
20th February 2007, 10:06 PM
Ahh I missed that, I read the thread an interpretted as circles Ooops. Okay prior to computer days, I used nails and blocks of wood and then bent a thin piece of wet ply around my jig to form the shape I needed and then cut the template out. Cheap and nasty but works a treat
Steve

watson
20th February 2007, 10:07 PM
El Correcto Cabbie,
I bet that apprentices nowadays miss out on a lot of real stuff...like chisels and planes and hand saws.
Now I sound like a really grumpy old fart.
Not that I was taught them then either.
Regards,
Noel

watson
20th February 2007, 10:16 PM
Good one Steve,
I think that's the sort of thing that Jake may have been after.
Sorry for being such a grump.
Regards,
noel

Whoops past my 9pm (self imposed) posting curfew.
Nite Nite
Noel

Cabbie
20th February 2007, 11:19 PM
Yeh there is just too much emphasis on getting jobs out too quick now. I pride myself on my quality and care I take with my work and I am so pedantic over it. I dun mind using the CNC but I so much prefer doing everthing by hand. I am quitting my jb soon as the workers we have there are sub standard and ar so lazy always relying on the CNC. When the CNC goes out of action it turns into chaos. That is what the world is turning to though and I am not liking it one bit. I don't like the way the work is being done and it is far oo sub standard for my liking so I am quitting and working elsewhere. Who knows maybe Ill lean some more skills on top of what I already know ;). I always try to ensure an apprentice under my supervision knows how to do a job by their own hand as it gives them those extra little skills they wont learn otherwise.

Chumley
4th April 2007, 05:19 PM
Hi all,
Excuse the obvious, but what is a CNC?
Chumley

journeyman Mick
4th April 2007, 05:46 PM
CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. Simply put it's a machine that's driven by a computer. All sorts of machines can be computer controlled. In woodworking (or more correctly processing) it's generally saws and routers. Think large frames with saws or routers running on rails or arms and able to take full 2400 x 1200 or even 3600 x 1800 sheets. Able to accurately and repeatedly cut parts. In the case of the router it can cut all sorts of shapes, curves, angles etc plus rout designs into faces, etc etc etc.

Mick

simso
4th April 2007, 06:22 PM
Cnc created, 23 individual pieces put together