PDA

View Full Version : band saw sharpener /setter

bobsreturn2003
19th February 2007, 02:45 PM
have recently purchased a band saw sawmill .and would like some information on a sharpener and or setter , how to make one ,or a second hand one ,if some one has one in the shed they dont use . any help would be most welcome . thank you :roll:

journeyman Mick
19th February 2007, 03:02 PM
Bob,
I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that Jim (Powderpost) has one (sharpener) that he's fixing up. Only 20mins or so down the road from you.

Mick

Old Croc
21st February 2007, 12:00 AM
Bob, if the old bugger cant help you, send me a PM with a contact Phone No and i will describe the one I made to you. Dont have time to work out how to put photo's in here yet.
Regards
Richard.

bobsreturn2003
13th March 2007, 08:25 AM
still waiting for some information . doesnt anyone use one ?:C

echnidna
13th March 2007, 08:41 AM
I feel that one of the chainsaw grinders could be adapted to the job fairly easily. You can find these on ebay for around $70.

If I had kept my b/s mill I would have mounted the grinder on the mill so instead of changing bands you just sharpen on the saw.

All I would do to set the bands is cut a slot in a piece of 5mm ms bar and use it to set the teeth. A stop on the bar so that it can only move a predetermined distance would ensure uniform set.

KevM
13th March 2007, 01:07 PM
still waiting for some information . doesnt anyone use one ?:C

yep

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=13816&d=1128424471

This is the only picture I have at the moment don't need to set the teeth as we use stellite tipped blades which provides the clearance for the band.

bobsreturn2003
14th March 2007, 11:53 AM
wow that looks like a great sharpener . do you sharpen the front of the blade? or the gullet as well . told i must cut from tip through gullet totip , thats my problem , wobbly hands ??? and trying to keep every thing even . can get a sharpener . but big $$. and i am playing at present , how do you guys find the bandsaw ? had a lucas mill and worked really well . but ran out of logs , sold it and decided to try a bandsaw . and here we are . any information or opinions welcome . thanks bob

KevM
14th March 2007, 12:58 PM
wow that looks like a great sharpener . do you sharpen the front of the blade? or the gullet as well . told i must cut from tip through gullet totip , thats my problem , wobbly hands ??? and trying to keep every thing even . can get a sharpener . but big $$. and i am playing at present , how do you guys find the bandsaw ? had a lucas mill and worked really well . but ran out of logs , sold it and decided to try a bandsaw . and here we are . any information or opinions welcome . thanks bob

The wheel is shaped to fit the gullet profile and the blade is automatically fed so that the wheel just follows up out of the gullet just touching the back of each tooth. The sharpener came from a saw sharpening service, we had to fit a new wheel to it and build the frame that the machine and blade sits on.

Also need to take the burr off the blade manually afterwards.

Think it came out of the Ark as it is 'heavy as" runs an oil filled gearbox and is 3 phase. Built to last.

d950
23rd March 2007, 07:46 PM
bob i have a bandsaw sharpener/setter. it is made by vollmer werke, type bne v, made in 1976,supplied by austral engineering,would stand 5 foot tall,i know nothing about the machine i removed it from a building i was demolishing and it looked to good to squash

DJ’s Timber
23rd March 2007, 08:42 PM
If you like I could take some pictures of the sharpener at the yard which is made by Woodmizer and the setter.

The wheel is a steel hub which has been profiled to suit the band and is diamond?? or carbide?? coated so the shape is consistent and when the grit wears off I would imagine it would be re-coated, not too sure on that one as I don't have anything to do with that part of the yard

bobsreturn2003
25th March 2007, 07:37 AM
would be most interested can you call me on 0740937388 evenings or send your number and i will call you , thanks bob

bobsreturn2003
25th March 2007, 07:40 AM
thanks , i have the woodmizer catalogue . and need to get close to one. these things are tricky. thanks for the offer . may follow up another lead . thanks for the offer . cheers bob

bobsreturn2003
29th April 2007, 09:00 AM
i ended up sharpening the blade gullet freehand with a chainsaw bit in my dremel tool worked well , though its tricky to get it right . tips with a file , amazing how well it slabs logs . any help most welcome . have seen a few sharpeners ,most too expensive , any sugestions ?