PDA

View Full Version : first segmented vase wip

AJcairns
19th February 2007, 03:07 PM
Hi
thought would share this one to see what people think about it jury is out on this side.
piece is 205h and 108w at widest point it has 11 layers 12 segments to each layer,each piece has a veneer between and each layer has a piece of veneer between it and the next making 274 pieces if you count the veneers.
timber is tassie oak and veneers are black bean, i used micro mesh pads to sand starting at coarse-med-fine and two ultra fine in different grades. finish is 1 coat eee and three coats of shellawax cream.
i have attached pictures and plan i used

I will await your comments
See you AJ

lubbing5cherubs
19th February 2007, 03:13 PM
I like it.:2tsup: lot of work there. You did a good job. better than my first attempt. Mine had daylight:no: :-
Toni

zenwood
19th February 2007, 05:04 PM
Impressive construction, but I think I would have preferred it without the contrasting veneers. Making wood like like bricks? I dunno...

Perhaps a couple of decorative veneers just going around the piece would work - ? Maybe two near the base, and another near the top.

Gil Jones
19th February 2007, 05:10 PM
Real purrdy segmented work, AJ.
You have a whole lot more patients than I.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2007, 05:37 PM
I like the idea, but I think the brick-work effect would've been better pulled off with something besides the KDHW... something with less grain feature and more of an even, solid colour. To my eye the business of the grain combined with the business of the seg work is just too much.

Maybe Huon Pine instead? Hmmm... even a more reddish/orange wood would look good, Osage Orange or Padauk, perhaps?

No criticism intended, mind, you've put a lot of work into it and you've done it better than any of my attempts to date! :2tsup: Like Toni, I have problems with gaps. :- Maybe I should laminate between like you have, then pour black epoxy between as a filler? :p

joe greiner
19th February 2007, 10:26 PM
Quite handsome, and nicely executed. The brickwork effect is interesting. I somewhat agree with Skew; something with a little less dominant grain would look better, But still enough grain showing so you know it's made of wood.:wink:

Joe

WillyInBris
20th February 2007, 01:44 AM
That must have been a lot of work, I keep looking at it waiting for it to automatically brake open and do something strange like one of those artifacts on that TV show Alias:doh: .

Good work, its got me thinking.

Willy

Gil Jones
20th February 2007, 06:26 AM
Skew, whatsa KDHW?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th February 2007, 07:07 AM
Sorry. KDHW = Kiln Dried Hardwood. Most builder's suppliers around here sell both Radiata Pine & KDHW for construction, one being "the" softwood and t'other "the" hardwood, so offcuts of these are probably the most abundant dried timbers available here in Oz. KDHW can be difficult to turn but can also be worth the effort. (As witnessed by AJ's vase. :wink: ) As for Radiata... [shudder] let's not go there. Cheapness & availability are it's only redeeming features.

KDHW isn't necessarily the same thing as Tasmanian Oak, but it usually is... "Tassie Oak" isn't actually any specific timber but is rather a generic builder's term for a bunch of similar timbers, such as Vic. Ash and Stringy Gum that can be grown in sustainable forests, mainly for construction. (None of which are Oaks and often having never been anywhere near Tassie. I guess the poor ol' Pommies were desperately searching for some signs of familiarity while they slaughtered the indigenous populations. :rolleyes:)

I tend to use the terms interchangably. :- I shouldn't but if I'm going to call a timber a generic name I'd rather use one that's obviously generic and not one that promotes a misconception, if you follow what I mean?

Shall I shut up now? :tapedshut:

tashammer
20th February 2007, 12:02 PM
AJ
what a striking piece! Well, i won't say that it is beautiful, but is striking and i like it. Maybe with some ivy hanging down and then a powerfully bright bloom(s) and leaves in the top. Makes me think of, castles and the large urns sometimes found at the main entrance, funerary urns, Egypt - something that one might find in the Great Pyramid, don't ya think?

joe greiner
20th February 2007, 03:10 PM
generic builder's term for a bunch of similar timbers, ... , mainly for construction:

Similar situation here. In SE USA, one "species" is "whitewood." Don't know or care exactly what it is for general purpose structural work. In NW USA, we specified "Hem-Fir." Might be hemlock, might be fir. Again, doesn't matter which.

Joe

AJcairns
20th February 2007, 09:04 PM
thanks for the comments , have taken them on board and will try with different timbers so you can compare. if i have time will do some step by step pictures like powderpost did.

talk to you soon

AJ

BernieP
20th February 2007, 09:48 PM
G'day AJ

Great looking urn you must have alot of patience and steady hands.

Cheers
Bernie