PDA

View Full Version : Stock refinishing project

bat
19th February 2007, 05:22 PM
This is a 1944 Swiss K31 French Walnut stock that I refinished. Nothing too fancy, but it was a fun project.

Lumber Bunker
19th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Sweet.
Very clean, did you go back to the timber or is that just 70 years of grime removed?

bat
20th February 2007, 12:58 PM
Sweet.
Very clean, did you go back to the timber or is that just 70 years of grime removed?

I stripped it, steamed the dents out (there were a LOT) and sanded the heck out of it by hand, then applied 4 coats of Tung Oil.

Bob38S
21st February 2007, 10:06 AM
G'day Bat,

"Sanded the heck out of it" -- How high a grade did you go to?

"Stripped it" - what did you use?

Was there any softening of the timber under the barrel where oil may have come into contact with it and how did you remove any oil from contaminated wood?

Why did you choose Tung oil?

How did you apply it? Spray, rag, brush?

Rubbed it out when finished and then waxed?

Thanks,
Bob

bat
21st February 2007, 03:50 PM
Hi Bob,

"Sanded the heck out of it" -- How high a grade did you go to?

I didn't want to have to deal with sanding out scratches from coarse sandpaper, so I did most of the sanding with 150 grit, and finished it off with 220.

"Stripped it" - what did you use?

I used a Jasco 30 minute stripper, and was not all that pleased with the results, as it left way too much finish on, so I then employed household oven cleaner. I got better results from that.

Was there any softening of the timber under the barrel where oil may have come into contact with it and how did you remove any oil from contaminated wood?

The wood was nice and firm all over and oil contamination didn't appear to be an issue anywhere on the rifle. It was already pretty well sealed inside and out, which probably eliminated any negative oil effects.

Why did you choose Tung oil?

I love tung oil. It penetrates the wood well, dries very hard, and is easy to use. It's my personal preference for most of the projects that I do for myself.

How did you apply it? Spray, rag, brush?

I applied it with a rag, let it sit 10 minutes or so, then wiped off any excess that I could (buffed it). I waited 24 hours, gave it a good run over with a fine steel wool, and gave it another coat until it was 4 coats thick.

Rubbed it out when finished and then waxed?

The dried final coat of tung oil is the finished product. I considered waxing it, but I'm not sure if it would make any difference.

The coolest thing about this gun, is that the person that it was issued to left his contact info behind the buttplate. I am considering trying to contact him, but if he's still alive, he's likely 79 years old.

Bob38S
22nd February 2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info Bat.

I'm looking at [eventually] to doing an old Win 94 lever in .30.30 but I was considering using our forum sponsor's products.

Regards,
Bob

bat
22nd February 2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the info Bat.

I'm looking at [eventually] to doing an old Win 94 lever in .30.30 but I was considering using our forum sponsor's products.

Regards,
Bob

Check out http://www.surplusrifle.com/ . They have a ton of info on refinishing and restoration there.

Bob38S
22nd February 2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks again,
Bob