PDA

View Full Version : March Pen swap

Simomatra
19th February 2007, 08:55 PM
Hi all

I should be home this Friday

If I am to be the one doing the blanks for Mrch I will need to know number and get the list sent to me ASAP as I will be away again on the 1st and not back untill the 10th

If this doesn't fit in and some one else can do March I will do April or another month

Not been able to correspond as we have not had internat fro a couple of weeks now

dai sensei
19th February 2007, 09:17 PM
I volunteered for March Sam, all cut up ready to go apart from adresses, how about April.

Cheers

Simomatra
19th February 2007, 09:35 PM
I volunteered for March Sam, all cut up ready to go apart from adresses, how about April.

Cheers

Thanks Neil

I would have to set april up as I go back to work 0n the 21st March for 4 weeks. Short time at home this time as I am off to Canberra to see my son

Will send a PM with my address for the March swap. Still haven't seen the February lot yet

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2007, 09:52 PM
This sounds like my cue. :D

Unfortunately, I got a tad overenthusiastic in clearing out my PMs the other week and lost a few details. :- I'll reconstruct what I can of the Feb mailing list from what info I have left and PM it to you... but there's a few addy's you'll have to chase up. Assuming that they're also participating in the March swap, of course!

Sorry. :(

Now, the only question I have left is: who do I PM the list to? :innocent:

DJ’s Timber
19th February 2007, 09:56 PM
Sam, I could cover April if you like and you can do May with Neil doing March????

dai sensei
19th February 2007, 10:19 PM
Ok I've got 3 blanks and 3 slithers, but won't be sending them out till the start of March, so you'll just have to wait :p . It also gives me time to think of a theme

In the mean time, if you're interested in participating in the March Pen Swap, post your name to this thread. I already have quite a few names and addresses of the regulars (thanks Skew), so I'll wait until March then PM those whom I don't have adresses.

Cheers

Fireman sam
19th February 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi neil
Iam in for march :U :B
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
19th February 2007, 10:35 PM
Put me down too Neil

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th February 2007, 10:40 PM
Et moi, naturellement!

BernieP
19th February 2007, 10:48 PM
G'Day Neil

I'm in for March thankyou. Will Pm My address

Cheers
Bernie

Touchwood
20th February 2007, 12:44 AM
I'm in for March too please

JD

Terry B
20th February 2007, 01:43 PM
I'm in also.

lubbing5cherubs
20th February 2007, 02:33 PM
:2tsup: definitely in.. I have my new nova so that will give me an excuse to use it.:D
Toni

Stuart
20th February 2007, 05:28 PM
It can't be the end of the month already :o

rodent
20th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Put me im i still trying to do skews organic but ill get it if it kills him .

Simomatra
20th February 2007, 09:48 PM
Sam, I could cover April if you like and you can do May with Neil doing March????

Thanks DJ at the moment I will go with that and do the May one will post if anything crops up.

I can have them all cut and get the wife to send them if I have to go away. count me in for the April one as well

Humber
24th February 2007, 11:34 AM
Ok I've got 3 blanks and 3 slithers, but won't be sending them out till the start of March, so you'll just have to wait :p . It also gives me time to think of a theme

In the mean time, if you're interested in participating in the March Pen Swap, post your name to this thread. I already have quite a few names and addresses of the regulars (thanks Skew), so I'll wait until March then PM those whom I don't have adresses.

Cheers
Hi Neil,
Would you please count me in too thanks.
Kerry

P.S. When I've finished the February ones and taken photos, where am I supposed to show the photos???

Hey Skew,
That dark reddish piece of wood really comes up nice.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th February 2007, 05:10 PM
P.S. When I've finished the February ones and taken photos, where am I supposed to show the photos???

Hey Skew,
That dark reddish piece of wood really comes up nice.

At the end of Feb we post the pix... either in the tail end of the February Pen Swap thread or, if the first person to post pix can't find it :rolleyes: in a new thread. It's one of those "we do it this way... or this way... or this way" type things. :D

Dark Reddish wood? That'd be the Tas. Myrtle. It's lovely stuff, especially when figured. I wish I had some larger pieces suitable for bowls or goblets.

Humber
25th February 2007, 11:26 AM
At the end of Feb we post the pix... either in the tail end of the February Pen Swap thread or, if the first person to post pix can't find it :rolleyes: in a new thread. It's one of those "we do it this way... or this way... or this way" type things. :D

Thanks Skew,
I'll keep an eye out and follow the lead.

Dark Reddish wood? That'd be the Tas. Myrtle. It's lovely stuff, especially when figured. I wish I had some larger pieces suitable for bowls or goblets.

Yes it really would make beautiful rich coloured bowls.
M8 - I thought I saw some writing, in ink, on the paler coloured blank (not the thin sliver of oak). My eyes are not too good - but I thought I could see TAS and then something else I couldn't make out??? Was this the 'mystery' wood you mentioned?

Oh, by the way, at this stage in my 'pen making career' I am struggling to get something that looks like a pen - so your organic theme has overwhelmed me. I'll try to capture the theme in the photos this time, I think. I didn't want to ruin the wood you sent me - so I didn't try any experiments with the main blanks. I did glue the sliver of oak to a similar sized sliver of redgum, made a blank from that and ended up with a harlequin pen, which I like. The challenge of gluing bits of wood together and working them is interesting, and I think I'll try some mixing and matching of various bits and pieces and see where it takes me. (No doubt old hat to you longer term pen turners - but all new to me). Anyway thanks again.
Humber :U :U :U :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th February 2007, 01:48 PM
M8 - I thought I saw some writing, in ink, on the paler coloured blank (not the thin sliver of oak). My eyes are not too good - but I thought I could see TAS and then something else I couldn't make out??? Was this the 'mystery' wood you mentioned?

No, that'd be the Tas. Blackwood. The mystery wood is the "oak." It looks like a member of the oak family to me, but I was told Wisteria when it was given to me. However, the bark isn't like any oak I know of... and no foliage came included so I could make a more realistic ID.

dai sensei
27th February 2007, 10:25 PM
Ok it's getting close to the start of March, so here is the list so far. I have PM'd those I didn't have addresses.

Simomatra
Skew ChiDAMN!!
Touchwood
Lubbing5Cherubs
djstimber
stuart
Fireman Sam
BernieP
Humber
Dai Sensei
Terry B
Rodent

Any other takers? If so, post here and PM me your address, I'll update the list.

I've decided not to resaw my blanks, too much work, especially given the green ones have warped a bit :~ Be careful when drilling these ones guys and gals. One of the blanks also has a pilot hole, to assist drying, that wasn't always central :B

rodent
28th February 2007, 02:20 PM
Ive sent you my address Niel .:D Oh skew ive asked Niel to send my blanks with yours SO dont use mine:~

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2007, 06:33 PM
My mailbox, MY wood! :p

dai sensei
2nd March 2007, 11:01 PM
Well I’ve started putting together the packages. You will all get (from the left in the photo) Red Cedar (Toona ciliata), Black She-oak (Allocasuarina Littoralis) and Swamp Mahogany (Eucalyptus robusta).

The black she-oak is in 2 parts because they are from some thick slices I intended to use for some clock faces, but even with metho/detergent treatment and starting to dry in sawdust, they just cracked up. So they are not end to end matched, but more side by side. I have also drilled them with a 5mm pilot hole (sorry it’s not exactly in the center) to assist with drying because it was only a few months ago this stuff was growing leaves.

Theme hmm, well I thought since I have had quite a few PM’s asking how to make the butterfly pattern, I’d give everyone a chance to make one. So I have also added some contrasting shims of Bonewood (Acradenia euodiiformis) and Ebony (Diospyros ferrea), and provided you use a sharp knife, you should be able to get 4 triangles out of each shim – enough for a 3 colour butterfly.

I have also added below instructions on how to cut & glue it up. Mind you, if you have a bandsaw or scroll saw, cutting is a lot easier. Or if you have a proper router set up like Purpleheart, it’s even easier. I’d suggest using the Mahogany blank, it usually is very nice but has little grain feature, and so it’s perfect for a butterfly. I’d also suggest double drilling the final blank - ie drill, add CA or epoxy, then drill again - this will fill any internal defects/gaps.

The butterfly is a lot of work though, so if you want to make something else, that’s Ok to.

Packs will hit the post on Monday.

Good luck

lubbing5cherubs
3rd March 2007, 12:54 AM
wow Neil it going to be awesome to learn how to do this. Can you give us url or a picture of a finished pen with a butterfly so I can see what it looks like please?
Toni

Stuart
3rd March 2007, 03:09 AM
Very cool - Appreciated Neil!

DJ’s Timber
3rd March 2007, 11:00 AM
wow Neil it going to be awesome to learn how to do this. Can you give us url or a picture of a finished pen with a butterfly so I can see what it looks like please?
Toni

Will this one (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33467) do Toni? It's one of Neil's pens

Humber
3rd March 2007, 12:37 PM
Just when I thought I'd got the idea - things are getting complicated. This will be a challenge. Thanks Neil. Will give it a go. (But I have a couple of ordinary old pens as standbys - in case I stuff it up.
Regards
Kerry

Touchwood
6th March 2007, 11:17 AM
WOW!! the instructions are very professional!! :2tsup:

Well done dai sensei - looking forward to giving this a go (will definitiely be doing a trial run first though!!:U )

JD

lubbing5cherubs
6th March 2007, 11:39 AM
way cool pen. Thanks DJ
Toni

Simomatra
6th March 2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks Neil I am still in Canberra and still not attempted my Feb ones yet. This looks as if it will be a challenge Look forward to getting home and some shed time

Fireman sam
7th March 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Neil
My blanks turn up today i think i will do a trial one first :rolleyes: :2tsup: :?
Andrew

BernieP
7th March 2007, 08:06 PM
G'Day Neil

Blanks arrived today thanks very much, willing to try anything once, just hope March is long enough!

Cheers
Bernie

dai sensei
8th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Forgot to mention, the bonewood hates chisels, so I recommend using the 150 grit chisel for the last mm. Also keep the dust from the ebony away, apart from any allergic reactions you might have, it will contaminate the bonewood. I use my compressed air blowing on the piece whilst sanding.

Good luck & enjoy.

Terry B
8th March 2007, 02:25 PM
Mine have arrived

DJ’s Timber
8th March 2007, 08:23 PM
Mine turned up today too

Touchwood
8th March 2007, 08:50 PM
Forgot to mention, the bonewood hates chisels, so I recommend using the 150 grit chisel for the last mm. Also keep the dust from the ebony away, apart from any allergic reactions you might have, it will contaminate the bonewood. I use my compressed air blowing on the piece whilst sanding.

Good luck & enjoy.

mmmmm ... now he tells us, after we've said yes - sounding like a challenge in front of us all. :U :D :U

Might be a good reason to get that air compressor though!!:2tsup: Need another toy in the shed.

JD

dai sensei
8th March 2007, 10:23 PM
Or you could use a straw and blow hard, it actually works for small things like pens. But a compressor is easier.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2007, 10:36 PM
If doing a CA finish, would a heavy coat of CA before the finishing cuts help any? (I don't particularly wish to find out by experimenting with limited samples... :wink:)

dai sensei
8th March 2007, 10:45 PM
I find the bonewood tears easily. CA wouldn't hurt, but not sure it would impregnate enough, sanding the last 1mm does work. I use similar technique for black palm.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2007, 11:32 PM
Hmmm...

It's been an interesting week now that I'm finding lathe time again. This'll be about the 3rd or 4th "new" wood (or combo thereof) to present a challenge. Now, if only I could give the silly bugger who picked "organic" as the Feb theme a clip around the ear, my week'd be complete. :D

rodent
9th March 2007, 02:04 AM
I could give you that ear smacking if you want skew ,but not until you've had your morning(early afternoon ) cuppa and cigge . Oh though's with out a compresser try using a push bike pump it works and you dont go blue in the face doing it .

rodent
9th March 2007, 01:26 PM
Mines here ,now to see if the bandsaws cutting straight ? And the bench is cleared ( ye right ) the wall to bang my head against is cleaned from last time . Mnn what else oh read instructions 5-6 times and get it wrong twice . Back down to the shed .

Touchwood
9th March 2007, 04:19 PM
you guys are no fun at all ..."use a drinking straw", "use a bike pump" ... all I need is a little excuse to go 'shopping'!!! After all, I do work full time. so I'm allowed to spenda the money!! :U

(and having had a flat battery in the car today, noticed how many very dry grasshoppers need blowing out of the engine bay!!)

JD

Terry B
9th March 2007, 05:16 PM
I had a go at this last night with another piece of wood.
Cutting the first 2 cuts is easy but the last 2 are difficult. I don't have a bandsaw but just a mitre box. Also gluing a little piece of wood onto a tapered edge is very difficult to clamp.
I will have to think about it more.

dai sensei
9th March 2007, 08:29 PM
I don't use clamps - just use hand pressure with either CA or good PVA, but one at a time until set.

Humber
9th March 2007, 09:24 PM
My blanks have also arrived, thanks Neil - will start to experiment this weekend.
Cheers
Humber

Simomatra
10th March 2007, 03:53 PM
Cheers Neil have arrived home from Canberra, my blanks have arrived yet to catch up with February project and then the segmenting is next looks very inyeresting

Whilst there caught up with Peter (Penpal) Thanks Peter to you and Wilma for a great day. First malee burl completed today.

Touchwood
14th March 2007, 11:04 PM
My wood arrived today - to the shed I head!

...... well this weekend anyway!

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th March 2007, 06:03 PM
Just giving advance notice that my pens mayl be late for this month... again. :-

About an hour ago I committed one of the turner's cardinal sins: didn't use suitable backing while sanding the wings of a 16" winged bowl. Of course, the paper grabbed and dragged the first two fingers of my left hand into the path of the oncoming whirly bits. Dislocated one and I leaked all over the place, although I don't think anything's broken [fingers Xed]... won't know for sure until tomorrow. If they're still wonky when I open my eyes in the morning, I'll go to the quack.

Silly bastard or what? :doh:

(No idea whether the bowl survived, have absolutely no temptation whatsoever to go and have a look at the bloody thing. :rolleyes:)

Terry B
29th March 2007, 06:12 PM
Just giving advance notice that my pens mayl be late for this month... again. :-

About an hour ago I committed one of the turner's cardinal sins: didn't use suitable backing while sanding the wings of a 16" winged bowl. Of course, the paper grabbed and dragged the first two fingers of my left hand into the path of the oncoming whirly bits. Dislocated one and I leaked all over the place, although I don't think anything's broken [fingers Xed]... won't know for sure until tomorrow. If they're still wonky when I open my eyes in the morning, I'll go to the quack.

(No idea whether the bowl survived, have absolutely no temptation whatsoever to go and have a look at the bloody thing. :rolleyes:)
Clean them up Skew and get them checked out if they are bent. You don't want infected dodgy fingers.

dai sensei
29th March 2007, 06:43 PM
:oops: :omg: You've got to be really careful around those whirly bits. Hope it heals up Ok Skew.

Gra
29th March 2007, 06:50 PM

One lathe for sale at the buy sell and swap ??:q :q :D or maybe a bowl partially finished with an interesting stain:doh: :doh:

Look after yourself Drew, just sit down with a good single malt, it will fell better after a bottle or two:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

BernieP
29th March 2007, 06:56 PM
Bad'Day Skew

Sorry to hear of your accident mate, hope it all works out ok

Cheers
Bernie

DJ’s Timber
29th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Gees man, sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope nothings broken

lubbing5cherubs
29th March 2007, 07:34 PM
Skew sorry bit slow seeing it. Hope it ok now? How are they going?
bye Toni

ScrollZilla
29th March 2007, 10:32 PM
Skew,
I am sorry to hear of your mishap. My wife once committed a turning sin by wearing a soft glove on her left hand because she was turning some hard plastic and the chips were stinging her hand. Well, to make a long story short, the glove got caught in the chuck and pulled her hand in between the tool rest and under and around the chuck. Her pinky finger was pretty gnarled up. While we did immediately go to the doctor, and two months of physical therapy, her pinky finger permanently deformed. The doc said had we waited a few days before going, she could have lost the finger, so please go and visit them.

Rick

tashammer
29th March 2007, 11:19 PM
please don't be silly tough, try being sane tough instead and go to the quack, hey?

It's better to go immediately after and find out it is relatively minor, than going later and have them do evil things to you (like put 64 staples in one's side cos one lifted some logs too soon after surgery - one is a richardhead at times).

You have to look after yourself more cos you is a national treasure!

said

Tom

Touchwood
30th March 2007, 01:07 AM
Hey Skew,
the forum wouldn't be the same without your words of wisdom ... best get the pinkies checked out pronto .. then, as the old saying goes - "get back on that horse!!!"

Hope you're feeling better real soon and there is no permanent damage. :o

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th March 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the sympathy folks. All I got from she-in-charge-of-bandaids was: "What'd you do this time? No, no... don't tell me. I don't want to know." :-

Tas, I was lucky and it wasn't that serious... minor lacerations, a dislocated finger and major bruises to the ego. It could've been a lot worse. My main concern was a possible fracture and there's nothing any quack could do besides splint it up. The finger popped back in easily enough and an ice-pack (well... mixed veges. We're out of frozen peas :p) stopped the worst of the bruising, even the cuts are tiny wee things. Best of all, this morning dawned and nothing had turned black and dropped off overnight. The pinkies are a bit stiff'n'arthritic but at least they're bending in the right spots and in the right direction... no trip to the quack needed. :woot:

If I hadn't been there when it happened (trust me, I wish I wasn't! :rolleyes: ) I'd have little sympathy for myself on the basis of the evidence presented today. (But I was, dammit, and there was still plenty of evidence splattered 'round the shed. Who'da thunk such little nicks could let out so much of the important stuff? :oo:)

Ah well, looks like it's not gonna be a good excuse to get out of doing these pens after all! :rolleyes::p:D

Terry B
30th March 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm pleased it wasn't too bad Skew. Now back to those pens.:U

rodent
3rd April 2007, 12:46 AM
You didnt tell them it was a 16inch square bowl did you skew :2tsup:. well my computers up and running again .The hard drive died big time even skew couldent fix it even with band aids .And silly me dident back up a lot of the files .I managed to save a lot of my wood turning stuff though (ill send them to you and scooter soon toni) after i add some new stuff .And i even got a new linisher 4inch wide with a 6in disk as well for $89.00 from Audi's so ill be doin feb and march'es pens soon .:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd April 2007, 01:24 AM
...and your April blanks are sitting here waiting for you too. Better pull yer finger out! :p

Stuart
3rd April 2007, 01:37 AM
Dofus :D