PDA

View Full Version : Attaching handle to stein

scooter
19th February 2007, 11:15 PM
Gday

Making my brother a pine stein ( :D ) for his 40th this weekend. It's about 130mm high & 80mm across the base.

Not necessarily to be used, possibly just a "dust collector".

Looking for advice on attaching a handle to it. Planning to cut out a handle with the scrollsaw, unsure how to attach it to the body.

The inside is hollowed to about an inch from the bottom, so will probably glue & dowel the bottom of the handle.

Where the top will attach is only about 2-3 mm thick, best method of mounting that end of the handle?

Glue - was thinking either polyurethane or epoxy, or just yellow glue?

Appreciate any advice..............cheers..................Sean

bsrlee
19th February 2007, 11:32 PM
For glue use Epoxy, 24 hour for long term strength, 5 minute has a bit more flex for rough usage. Polyurethane is strong enough, but cleanup could be a PITA. The PVA family glues may not be dishwasher safe, just in case someone gets over enthusiastic witht he cleaning.

I'd use blind dowel holes into the base & handle - 2 if there's room - you seem to have turned the upper a bit thin to use dowels there, some designs leave a 'band' around the body to give a bit more meat for the upper end of the handle to attach.

martrix
19th February 2007, 11:34 PM
Gday

Making my brother a pine stein ( :D ) for his 40th this weekend. It's about 130mm high & 80mm across the base.

Not necessarily to be used, possibly just a "dust collector".

Looking for advice on attaching a handle to it. Planning to cut out a handle with the scrollsaw, unsure how to attach it to the body.

The inside is hollowed to about an inch from the bottom, so will probably glue & dowel the bottom of the handle.

Where the top will attach is only about 2-3 mm thick, best method of mounting that end of the handle?

Glue - was thinking either polyurethane or epoxy, or just yellow glue?

Appreciate any advice..............cheers..................Sean

Hi Scooter, if the Schtein:D aint gonna see any frothy action(any moisture:rolleyes: ), then I would just go with the dowel on the bottom and good old yellow glue by itself on the top as long as the meeting surfaces are good..other wise, Epoxy.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th February 2007, 05:16 AM
Most Steins that I've seen have recesses turned into the top and bottom for strapping; either plaited leather or wire through holes in the handle or metal bands that bolt to the handle ala old-style radiator hose clips.

This also has the advantage of reinforcing the Stein against overenthusiastic toasts. (I'll refrain from digressing into the quaffing side of things this time. Be thankful for small mercies. :wink: )

DJ’s Timber
20th February 2007, 08:54 AM
What about a hook arrangement. The handle hooks over the lip then swings down onto the dowel on the bottom.

tashammer
20th February 2007, 12:08 PM
Yer Skew, i would imagine that you could have been a right wassailer once when you were young and the Earth was still deciding what it wanted to be.

As well as the groove and band, i thought maybe two lugs top and bottom with slots in 'em when the handle ends went in and were held by pins, but it's too late.

Just out of curiosity why didn't you work that out before you made it?

rodent
20th February 2007, 05:26 PM
try this sightCUP.htm hope it works
(http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=40560&stc=1&d=1171952685) (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=40560&stc=1&d=1171952685)

scooter
20th February 2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone, ended up using 24hr araldite & a 6mm dowel in the bottom join. Just the araldite in the top one.

Just out of curiosity why didn't you work that out before you made it?

You have much to learn about my woodworking, tas :p

Cheers..................Sean

tashammer
21st February 2007, 11:46 AM
Sean,
i know why i would have done it as i get caught up in the rush and bolt. Planning and drawing rarely comes to mind as it's more 1.Ping! idea. 2. Wadooihave? 3. Oh well, i'll just use what i have and make changes as i go. 4. 1 year later. oh i need to make that to make that to make that etc. 5. There, finished. What is it? Ermm, coff.

BernieP
21st February 2007, 04:04 PM
G'Day Sean

Look forward to seeing finisheed item, don't forget to post it.

Cheers
Bernie

scooter
21st February 2007, 10:22 PM
Sean,
i know why i would have done it as i get caught up in the rush and bolt. Planning and drawing rarely comes to mind as it's more 1.Ping! idea. 2. Wadooihave? 3. Oh well, i'll just use what i have and make changes as i go. 4. 1 year later. oh i need to make that to make that to make that etc. 5. There, finished. What is it? Ermm, coff.

:D:D

G'Day Sean

Look forward to seeing finisheed item, don't forget to post it.

Cheers
Bernie

No worries, Bernie, busy putting thin coats of white shellac on it now, will post a pic tomorrow night.

Cheers.................Sean

scooter
27th February 2007, 11:59 PM
Pic of finished stein.

DJ’s Timber
28th February 2007, 12:08 AM
Nice job Sean

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th February 2007, 05:53 PM
It's empty! :(

scooter
28th February 2007, 10:25 PM
Nice job Sean

Thanks DJ :)

It's empty! :(

Yeah, I hear you Andy. My brother (the 40yo. giftee) liked it, but didn't actually drink out of it. Some people have to have it spelt out... :D

Cheers......................Sean

BernieP
28th February 2007, 11:14 PM
G'Day Sean

As expected a beauty, will file that design away, if you don't mind, for future reference.

Cheers
Bernie

scooter
28th February 2007, 11:46 PM
Be honoured, Bernie :)

Cheers.................Sean

rodent
1st March 2007, 10:08 AM
what no quaffing skew.