PDA

View Full Version : for sale on ebay (no not mine) -eek!

sbranden
20th February 2007, 12:37 AM
Um, I wonder if the new owner will end up posting here?

mobile saw/ horror movie prop- make up your mind
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mobil-saw-and-bench_W0QQitemZ230093945626QQihZ013QQcategoryZ113535QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

shaun:oo:

makka619
20th February 2007, 12:53 AM
What the heck is that.:o Looks like something from Saw. I would have nightmares if that was kept at my house.
Did the seller build it himself? Is it meant to look like a little robot dude?

Wood Butcher
20th February 2007, 07:38 AM
I can't remember the true name but they were a commercially built saw used for cutting up logs. The old boy had one for years out the back of his place but never used it. We ended up scrapping it for parts.

echnidna
20th February 2007, 07:46 AM
Its a swing saw.
The blade can also be rotated so it cuts horizontally for felling trees instead of using a chainsaw.

rond
20th February 2007, 08:05 AM
I remember reading an article in the 'Readers Digest' many years ago of an American logger who was trimming logs with a portable 'Swing Saw' when the beast bounced back over his head hitting his mate who was standing behind.
The saw opened him up from the collarbone and shoulderblade through the ribs. [ He survived to tell the story that's why it was in the Digest]
I don't know whether they have been banned but technology has greatly improved since then
I definitlely wouln't buy it:no:

Grunt
20th February 2007, 09:28 AM
I think it'd be a great replacement for those with a Triton who are looking for a tad more accuracy.

Jim Grant
20th February 2007, 12:28 PM
I remember seeing one being used to cut red gum sleepers in the Hunter Valley in 1992 so they were still in use then. It was one of the scariest things I have seen and not something I wanted to close to for a good look.

simso
20th February 2007, 03:24 PM
We had one on the farm for cutting felled trees into posts. The sawmill next door used the same setup but they had a car engine hooked up through a transmission for rough cutting planks out of trees
Steve

Doughboy
20th February 2007, 03:29 PM
So where am I going to fit the incra?

As god is my witness when that beast is sharp it would EAT through wood at a rate that would scare the beejeezers outa me!

Pete

DanP
21st February 2007, 01:32 PM
Barmah Sawmill still uses a swing saw to give them a square side on the logs.

Dan

Gra
21st February 2007, 01:36 PM
So where am I going to fit the incra?

As god is my witness when that beast is sharp it would EAT through wood at a rate that would scare the beejeezers outa me!

Pete

Not just wood, it would eat ANYTHING:oo::oo:

Barmah Sawmill still uses a swing saw to give them a square side on the logs.

Dan
Barmah.... is that spelt correctly:D

soundman
22nd February 2007, 11:01 PM
Affectionately known as a "suicide saw".:oo: :o :oo:

With the blade swung horisontal they were known to rip themelves out of the hands of the operator, swing arround and cut the poor bloke in half where he stood:oo:

Stan keglinski ( i think has one) he trots off to the wood show to frighten children with:o . No he wont start it.:no:

Thats a little one. A mate of mine tells me he worked on a crew that used one back a quite few years. That one had a 186 holden motor for power, direct coupled.

He reconed the look of the thing is nothing compared to the noise and vibration... a truly frightening item.... and that was from 10m away..... and that was about as close as he would get to it...... he found other work real fast.

I recon that if WHS found you using one of those they would have more than a few words to say about it.:~ :~

remember... it has sharp teeth and eats meat:oo:

cheers

joe greiner
23rd February 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm gonna pass up this one. I'm quite satisfied with my scroll saw.:D

Joe

Chris Parks
24th February 2007, 02:44 PM
Now that brings back memories (bad ones). I was up at Wingham, NSW in the early 70's and helped a bloke haul sleepers out of the bush. They had a similar saw but it was a bit more dangerous in the fact that the drive was done by 3 long belts. If the blade didn't get you the belts would have, as they were probably at least a metre long. From memory they called it a Hargon? saw. The bloody thing frightened buggery out of me and I resisted all attempts to get me to operate it. Getting the sleepers off the mountain was another problem as they used to load the truck (an old Leyland or Austin I think) until the springs were bent downwards and then toss a coin as to who was going to drive it down a steep dirt track with BIG drops off it. No OH&S in those days. I didn't last long in that job.

Rossluck
24th February 2007, 03:05 PM
One of these was featured on a television show recently. It was a documentary on the re-furbishing of a paddle wheeler or something like that (on the Murray I suppose). And they needed some planks.

The fella who used the swing saw on the show is notoriously an expert with them, and can cut with amazing accuracy by eye. They showed him cutting some 5 or 6 metre planks from whacking great log with a swing saw that looked twice as long as the one in the Ebay ad.

I was completely impressed, especially when they showed a stack of the planks and they looked like they were straight from a saw mill.

I told SWMBO that I want one and she said "NO". :(

MICKYG
24th February 2007, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

The saw in the add on ebay looks like a saw marketed as Mobilco which was a copy of a saw called a Hargans saw. I recall when I was a nipper ( a while ago) I observed a fellow cutting telephone poles and was using a Hargan Saw.

Just to see one working was scary enough. Timmbergetters in the fifties would part with almost anything to own one of those little pearls. It is nice to see that people have become educated in the ways of doing things, hence liveing a bit longer.

Regards Mike:wink: :wink: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

DavidG
24th February 2007, 05:17 PM
Ex FIL shattered his leg with one of them. :o

Cut a block off a limb then proceeded to cut the next without clearing the first out the way.
First block got caught by the blade and came back towards his leg.

He finished up with one leg 2" shorter than the original.

Dangerous but very handy and useful.

fred.n
25th February 2007, 09:42 AM
Would there be a video out there somewhere of one going??