PDA

View Full Version : Cypess for turning

DanP
20th June 2003, 10:24 PM
Sitting on the edge of the largest redgum forest in the world and not one supplier within 70 km.

This has forced me to look at alternatives for turning salt and pepper mills and various other bits that I might make. The nicest looking timber at the local yards is cypress (pickets, fence posts etc.) Don't know enough about the stuff to know if it is any good for turning and for food applications like s & p mills. Any help much appreciated.

rsser
21st June 2003, 01:03 PM
Hi Dan,

It's a good turning timber and can show some interesting figure that would be attractive in S&P grinders.

From memory though the dust can be an irritant (check the bad wood sites), and if the rotating of the grinder top produces it then you may have a problem.

Also beware of fence posts in timber supplies places since like redgum this variety is often poorly seasoned and will show or develop checking.

Cheers,

Ern

DanP
21st June 2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks Ern, I think it is a beautiful timber and I can't understand why it is not more widely used for craft. I know splitting can be a problem, but I was concerned about using it for food apps. Didn't know about toxicity etc. I'll give the bad wood link a look in. Thanks again,

Dan

journeyman Mick
21st June 2003, 10:15 PM
I think you'll find that it is toxic, if termites don't eat it Because of the chemical compounds it contains then I wouldn't be placing it contact with foodstuffs. I know that when I have picked up splinters (from clean new timber) they have gotten infected and irritated rather quickly.

Mick

DanP
22nd June 2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks Mick,

Guess I'll keep it for the non food stuff. Back to the drawing board for timber supplies then. :(

Dan

journeyman Mick
22nd June 2003, 11:51 PM
You can't nick into this redgum forest and find some suitable windfalls for turning? I'm not a turner so I might be miles off the mark, but I assume that you'd be turning between centres for S&P shakers. So the timber wouldn't need to be large diameter or great long lengths, a few dead limbs that had dropped would keep you in materials for a while. Forestry dept in Qld will give you a firewood permit for a nominal fee and you can collect dead limbs to your heart's content. Mind you I enquired about 8 years ago so who knows, what with public liability and bureaucracy it might be all too hard now. Good luck in your search for timber, just watch out it becomes addictive, I've got about 12m3 of timber stashed around the house and I just scored a couple of logs that should yield about 1.5M3. All I've got to do now is to finish building my workshop and to find the time to make some furniture.

Mick

DanP
23rd June 2003, 09:04 PM
Mick,

The plan is to get a permit for the collection of fallen timber. Problem is, there is no dry fallen timber around after easter and long weekends. I'll have to collect green and season myself. I guess next time I'm in town I'll have to stock up. Any pointers for timber supplies on line??

Dan

rsser
24th June 2003, 10:17 PM
Dan,

By all means play around with some cypress to hone your techniques (if they need it), and then why not mailorder a couple of blanks of whatever takes your fancy from a place like the Woodsmith? Won't cost you much, and you'll have some pieces to admire for years to come.

Or see if the local timber merchant has some short pieces of Jarrah.

See www.thewoodsmith.com.au

Cheers,

Ern

DanP
25th June 2003, 06:28 PM
Ern,

I think the techniques need a vicious grind prior to honing. I'm going to try the online thing. Thanks for your help,

Dan