PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws at Sydney Show

Sir Stinkalot
21st June 2003, 11:25 AM
Hi,

If anybody is lucky enough to be heading to the Sydney show this weekend would you be kind enough to take note of some of the prices on bandsaws.

Models would be Carba-tec
SW-1401
BS-1400
BAS-350
and SBW-3501
and their equivelent in the other makes.

If you picked up a new bandsaw let us know of what sort of deal you managed. I am sure many other users on the board will be interested in this information.

I really should have posted this earlier as most of you would be there by now :)

Thanks

Stinky.

arose62
22nd June 2003, 11:30 AM
I was there yesterday - all day!

Sheesh - we BB-ers need to be more organised for the next one, perhaps one or more attendees acting as agent for others (via mobile phone ???), or a scout to go on day one, and give feedback, so others can go on subsequent days. Or accumulating orders, and negotiating a good deal...

Things I noted - cheapest price for an "OK" set of turning chisels - $79 at Carbatec - up to $149 elsewhere.

Trend Timbers were a couple of dollars cheaper on the Nova chucks, but a couple of $$ dearer on the inserts, while the NZ lady at the Teknatool stand (under GasWeld) was the other way round.

Banksia nuts were from $3 each, up to $8 each.

Cheapest dust collector was $129 at Carbatec, but didn't have the Aust approval "Tick", nor a safety guard inside the blower output, and only cloth ties on the bags, and a 3 week wait. Next best was Total Tools at $209 (once I pointed out that $299 seemed a bit steep - Oops! Wrong price tag), which had approval, guard, and metal straps.

And, of course, sitting at my keyboard, I realise that I didn't go back to "the stand" for a 5th time, hoping for a chance to intro myself, and pick up an bargain.

Cheers,
Andrew

arose62
22nd June 2003, 11:33 AM
Another thing - a couple of stands had "special offers" for the display gear - you had to collect between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM last day of the show. I didn't ask pricing, as I couldn't get there on Sunday, but this may well be worth acting on in future.

An early attendee could establish the pricing, and/or place a deposit, and a subsequent attendee could arrange the collection. It may even be worth collectively hiring a truck ??

Cheers,
Andrew

P.S. Why aren't there representatives of financial institutions there, flogging on-the-spot personal loans ???

q9
22nd June 2003, 01:29 PM
P.S. Why aren't there representatives of financial institutions there, flogging on-the-spot personal loans ???

A:

Personal loan interest rate 11%

Credit card interest rate 16.8%

craigb
23rd June 2003, 10:27 AM
G'day Stinkie,

I can't comment on the other models, but I was basically interested in the SBW3501 and the comparison with the JET JWBS 14CS. The show price for the SBW was $699, it is a .75 hp machine and includes a fence - although to be honest I don't know how useful it would be as it's pretty cheap looking.
The show price for the Jet was $775 but this is a 1 hp machine, although it doesn't include a fence. In the end, I chose to pay 10% more for 25% more power and bought the Jet.

Ther were heaps more options available with HAFCO, Timbecon and Total tools all having bandsaw's for sale. It's just that I'd researched the above machines that made me concentrate on those two. Also, I'm not very good at crowds, and on Friday the WWW show was REALLY packed.

Hope this is some help
Craig

Sir Stinkalot
23rd June 2003, 03:29 PM
Sounds like there were a few bargins to be had ... I cant wait for the Melbourne Show now. What size were the DC mentioned above? they sound like 1Hp which will be look down upon by the cyclone building community :).
A buying collective sounds like a great idea ... imagine the deal you could get rocking up to the Carba-tec stand and wanting to buy 5 bandsaws in one go, they will be bending over backwards to help out, they may even put a cuppa on :).
Keep the tales of bargins had comming.