PDA

View Full Version : Incra newbie - maybe

old_picker
21st February 2007, 09:23 AM
I am after a precision router setup and wonder if Incra may be it.
Had a look on the site of the paterson lakes outfit that sells all this stuff and i am not up on all the different bits n pieces so I couldnt get an idea of what i need and how much.

Rang the guy and he was a bit busy to talk so I thought I would just ask in here a bit b4 I bother him again.

Is the incra gear worth the dollars?
Looking at what's on the website i cant really relate all those fancy jigs to what I do which is guitar building. I want a basic fence, mitre track and a perfect insert & table on a bench 800x600 would be nice at proll 1100 hieght. The main work is pattern routing, rebates, tenon cutting, dressing 25"x1"x3" [guitars are imperial] hardwood neck blanks I got a nice trton 1400 router to go with it.
I wouldnt be doin all those fancy complicated finger joints or any special trick cuts, its fairly routine stuff but i need perfection

Any suggestions or comments would be great.

Stuart
21st February 2007, 11:06 AM
If you need precision, the Incra LS is definitely an excellent choice (not that there are no other options out there, I just don't know enough about them to speak to them).

The Incra is not a jointing system, it is a precision fence locating system that means you can do very accurate joints.

The next demo that will be occurring (I imagine Grahame (whom you spoke to) will be there again this year) will be at the Ballarat show at Wendouree on the 17th and 18th March. Granted that is a fair hike, so you might find some Incra owners closer to you that you could see a working setup to help your decision.

The system is expensive, no doubt about that, but if it turns out to be absolutely perfect for your needs, you are not going to regret the cost.

simso
23rd February 2007, 07:13 PM
They are awesome. Accuracy beyond belief, if you cut half a mm out you can easily fine adjust and cut again, they are that accurate. Blind dovetails, single dovetails, double dovetails and I think someone has done a triple dovetail are so so easy with this unit, highly recommended.If your worried about the price dont be they are well worth the money, in fact I loved my unit on the router so much I went and bought one for the tablesaw as well
Steve

Dan
23rd February 2007, 10:11 PM
When Rocker made his mortising jig he based it on Pat Warners router fence (http://http://www.patwarner.com/routerfence.html). By scaling up Rockers jig you'll end up with a simplified version of Pats fence.

Stringy
24th February 2007, 06:02 PM
Old_Picker,

I have had the LS positioner, with wonder fence and SE 1000 miter on my saw/spindle moulder for the last 2 years. Today I have been using the miter and positioner building 10 drawers for the kitchen:D .

The fence and general positioning accuracy of the incra tools is excellent especially when changing lengths constantly-unlock, slide, lock and cut a different length, which is spot on:2tsup: .

Incra is expensive, but has been a good investment. $'s vary considerably depending on how long you want to wait between local or os.

I have not used any of the other brands so can't comment on them.