PDA

View Full Version : Hafco Saw

Don Mc.
21st February 2007, 03:49 PM
Can anyone suggest a better quality blade guide for my Hafco Woodmaster Band Saw Model MJ 344C with a 2950 blade length. I looked for something at the Melbourne Working with Wood Show without sucess. The top guide on mine is falling appart, both bars that hold the side guides have snaped in half and the self tapping screws are not the best idea Don Mc.

baxter
22nd February 2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Don

I am not familiar with the MJ 344C bandsaw and, as it does not feature on the Hafco webpage, I assume that it could be an older model. If you could post a photo of the current guide system we will be able to get an idea of your problem and give some positive suggestions.

I must congratulate you on the boxes that you posted on your other thread:2tsup: . But I did notice that your draw cutouts did not have small radius curves and, from that, I assume that you might be using a medium sized blade - possibly larger than 1/4".

You mentioned the length of your current blades. The length is not the critical factor, it is the width. From my experience, if I am using a blade smaller than 1/4" I would probably use Coolblocks or similar. For larger blades, with a bit of meat behind the teeth, I would use a bearing system.

So when you post your photos, you might also mention what range/size blades you want to use in the future so that this can be taken into account in replies.

Don Mc.
23rd February 2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, will attach two photos. I use a 19mm blade when I am breaking down wood to usuable size, all other work is done with a 6mm blade, either 6tpi or 8tpi. To do the reallt tight turns I go to our club workshop and use a 3mm blade. In one of the photos you will see that the clamp holding the side bearing is broken and not holding by much, this makes me nervous when useing the machine, they broke with very little pressure on the bolts. You will also notice that the assembly is off centre, there is no adjustment left to correct this. Could you please explain coolblocks
Don Mc
Sorry I forgot to attach photos, will send them seperate.

Don Mc.
23rd February 2007, 03:04 PM
The bandsaw photos

Big Shed
23rd February 2007, 03:23 PM
You might want to have a look at the Timbecon site, they are having a 2 day sale, today and tomorrow, and I noticed some blade guides were on special. Don't know whether they would fit, but it would be worth a question.

baxter
26th February 2007, 07:54 PM
Don I can't help you with the problem with the guides. Could I suggest that you repost this thread in the Bandsaw section under Tools and Machinery. There you might attract the attention of bandsaw owners generally and not only those interested in Bandsawn Boxes.

Cool blocks are guides which are cube shaped and made from a phenolic laminated material - a plastic with layers of linen cloth compressed into it. Detailed information is contained in the Bandsaw Handbook by Mark Duginske - check you library.

As it understand, to use cool blocks (or similar) you must have square mounts through which the blocks are inserted and secured. In your situation, probably better to rectify the guide assembly before worrying about what type of guides to use.

TTIT
27th February 2007, 12:20 PM
Don - the guide assembly is exactly the same as the Hafco BP-16A - sure it's not that model?(Same blade length also) I had the same sort of problems as you with mine plus a few others I won't go into but on the BP-16A it can be fixed. Check out this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=42390) for the upgrade.
Failing that, I can send you what's left of my old one for parts!:;

Don Mc.
27th February 2007, 02:46 PM
Baxter, many thanks for your imput every little bit helps.
TTIT, Thank you also for your information, it is the answer to my problem. I can't under stand why they would put two model No's on one machine. I have been in touch with Hafco an they have the same kit for me, it is going to cost me $132-00 inc freight.
Once again many thanks to all Don Mc

baxter
3rd March 2007, 12:28 PM
Don once you have received and fitted your new guide kit Google "cool blocks". there is a lot of information and your will be able to see which stock number etc. will fit your bandsaw guide kit.

I brought a couple of sets of cool blocks from Highland Hardware in Atlanta Georga several years ago. At that time I could not find any Australian distributor. I note that Carbatec sell "Blade Saver Guide Blocks" that they refer to as "cool running blocks" but I am not aware if they are the same as Cool Blocks or immitations. Otherwise I am not aware of any Australian distributor of the original Cool Blocks.

Then again, I purchased two sets (top & bottom) of Cool Blocks (including airfreight) for about two thirds of the Carbatec price for the one set.

You will see that Cool Blocks are recommended for 1/16" and 1/8" blades when cutting tight curves. However, from experience, they work very well for slightly larger blades.

Hope this helps

Don Mc.
3rd March 2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks again Baxter, I will follow this up as soon as I get the new guide fitted
Don Mc.