PDA

View Full Version : Not a pen!

ciscokid
22nd February 2007, 04:30 AM
So I've had my lathe for a month now and all I've done is turn pens. :~

I decided to dress up a guitar amplifier I recently built by replacing the knobs with some wood ones. Found some cocobolo and maple lying about in the scrap bin and went to work. First try, I didn't have it chucked up tight enough (first time using the chuck) and the piece sailed the whole way across my shop after taking a chunk out of my forehead just above the safety goggles. Live and learn, I guess.

OGYT
22nd February 2007, 01:39 PM
Hey, Ceesco! Wondered where you went.
I like the knobs. Sorry about the forehead, but the knobs are superkool!

Rum Pig
22nd February 2007, 01:53 PM
I try not to say this to people but nice knobs:D I think the end result will make the pain of a bit of wood (could not use the other term) hitting your head go away.:) You have made the amp into a really nice looking piece of equipment.
Well done.

<O:p</O:p
Cheers Justin

ss_11000
22nd February 2007, 04:56 PM
awesome.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd February 2007, 07:06 PM
I like! What did you use for fittings? Simply drilled and pressed over splined shafts, or are they keyed? Sorry... the curiosity just sorta creeps up on me... :rolleyes:

ciscokid
22nd February 2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. I haven't been around lately. Had to get back to jewelry boxes. Local jeweler needs some stock for upcoming Mother's day, graduation day, etc... I'm working on a design I can go 'production' with. One of a kinds are just taking too long. I figure to just keep mixing the woods up to keep them different. Tonight I build a taper jig.

Skew - I drilled them 8 thousandths under and just pressed them on. Although, as hard as that cocobolo is, I'm wondering if I couldn't drill and tap for setscrews.

I'll tell you all one thing. When a piece wants to leave the lathe, it is there one second and gone the next! I'm considering a full face shield in the future to protect my rugged good looks. :U

joe greiner
22nd February 2007, 10:51 PM
Nice work, cisco. Amp looks good too.

Joe

hughie
22nd February 2007, 10:54 PM
I'll tell you all one thing. When a piece wants to leave the lathe, it is there one second and gone the next! I'm considering a full face shield in the future to protect my rugged good looks. :U

Knobs are good :U

Rugged looks, if'n you dont, the looks might get a bit more rugged :C :U :U

rodent
23rd February 2007, 08:36 PM
I think it's time for a full face shield dont you.

ciscokid
23rd February 2007, 11:18 PM
Nice work, cisco. Amp looks good too.

Joe

Thanks Joe. I built the whole thing including the wiring. All tube, 40 watts, V-front cabinet with a pair of 12" Tone Tubbies. Black walnut with half blind dovetail joinery. Very heavy and solid. Sound good too.

paul collins
23rd February 2007, 11:28 PM
great looking setup cisco,well done.if it sounds as good as it looks you are in for some fine times.:2tsup:

Flaco
24th February 2007, 12:07 AM
Well done Cisco :2tsup:

Gino
25th February 2007, 09:35 PM
Great looking knobs, that lighter colored pannel above the knobs what wood is that? I found it stunning.

Gino

ciscokid
26th February 2007, 10:02 AM
That panel above the controls is a piece of bookmatched Movingue veneer. My first effort with veneer. Fine sanding and Danish oil is all it took to really make it pop.

OGYT
26th February 2007, 02:52 PM
Nice job on the sound system. Sax looks good, too.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th February 2007, 05:38 PM
All tube? Now there's class.

I bet it sounds as good as it looks! :2tsup: