PDA

View Full Version : Spiral upcut - How Deep?

TommyC
22nd February 2007, 08:54 AM
I'm in the process of working out how to achieve my preferred method of installing a Record front vice into my "in-progress" benchtop. I want to recess the rear jaw of the vice into a pocket behind the front edge of the bench, about 20mm in from the edge. The pocket would need to be about 90mm long, 70mm deep and 18mm wide.

Can any one tell me if they have been ablwe to cut a mortice this deep with a spiral upcut bit?

It would have been easier to prepare the pocket before i glued on the front edge of the bench, but wheres the challenge in that?!?

TommyC
22nd February 2007, 09:27 AM
So.......am I going to have to sharpen up a mortice chisel?? Surely there must be a way of doing this the "EASY" way??

Cabbie
22nd February 2007, 10:00 AM
You can get a long series spiral up cut which might be able to do it. The standard one just isn't long enough. I'm not sure how deep they can cut but I use the long series on our CNC when I have to Cut greater than 50mm Deep but that isn't very often and I have never done 70mm before.

TommyC
22nd February 2007, 10:12 AM
Ta cabbie,

I just had a look at the prices of these longer bits ($350)....chisel it is.

journeyman Mick
22nd February 2007, 12:39 PM
Use a spade bit or auger to remove the bulk of the waste before using the chisel and it shouldn't take too long.

Mick

Cabbie
23rd February 2007, 01:36 AM
Ta cabbie,

I just had a look at the prices of these longer bits ($350)....chisel it is.

Yeh sorry forgot to mention they r pricey hehe ahh well just lettin ya know it is possible but proly just as good by chisel easier with a bit but yeh too expensive though.

TommyC
23rd February 2007, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the tips....did it with spade bit and chisels. End result was good!