PDA

View Full Version : Bodger's Goblet

joe greiner
22nd February 2007, 10:54 PM
Quite surprised myself Wednesday. My next-door neighbour had some trees
removed. The tree folks felled a large podocarpus macrophylla at about 10am. I grabbed a small piece (and later some trunk portions up to
about 250mm diameter). I completed this goblet about 1pm, without any
(ahem) meaningful redesign. Surely not a world record, but record
results for me. 90mm high, 67mm diameter, bowl 52mm deep, wall min 2mm
thick; stem 9mm. First (token) pass with sandpaper clogged immediately
of course. I'll apply some magic potion after a week or two of drying.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
22nd February 2007, 11:00 PM
:2tsup:

tashammer
23rd February 2007, 07:32 AM
Definitely good quaffers!

TTIT
23rd February 2007, 08:51 AM
Good one Joe! Should only take about 5 minutes to dry at that thickness! Hope it holds together for you:U

Rum Pig
23rd February 2007, 11:57 AM
Looks really good except the base is a touch small for me but that is the thing about wood turning it is all about what you like.:) <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Well done.:2tsup: :2tsup: <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

Cheers Justin.

BernieP
23rd February 2007, 12:43 PM
G'Day Joe

Great looking goblet, never used yew, sure looks good:brava:brava

Wayne Blanch
23rd February 2007, 12:45 PM
Lovely work :2tsup:

ss_11000
23rd February 2007, 03:53 PM
:clap:

Gil Jones
23rd February 2007, 04:25 PM
Nice work, Joe!! Always good to see light thru the wood.
You gonna save me a small chunk of this Japanese yew?:)

rodent
23rd February 2007, 07:37 PM
mmm i see the light nice and thin .

joe greiner
23rd February 2007, 11:55 PM
Thanks all. First Google didn't give me the full story on species.

Sure thing, Gil. I'll bring a few chunks to the meeting 6 March. About 150mm x 1m, if that's small enough.

Joe

joe greiner
1st March 2007, 03:16 PM
This Wednesday arvo (28 Feb) I gave the goblet 4 coats of clear semi-gloss polyurethane spray. To justify the name "Bodger's Goblet," I had done all the turning in one go. So I no longer had any way of mounting it on the lathe for paste wax buffing. Just as well, because the polyurethane soaked into the wood enough to capture the grain variation. I jury-rigged an apparatus to slowly rotate it on my auxiliary rotisserie drive. The drive axle is a 1/2-in dowel with a square shank at one end to engage the rotisserie motor, and a flat blade at the other end to engage a chunk of foam cut from a swimming pool toy. (I think they're called "noodles.") I carved a cove in the foam to keep it from being glued to the goblet's rim.

Joe

TTIT
1st March 2007, 05:14 PM
............. I jury-rigged an apparatus to slowly rotate it on my auxiliary rotisserie drive. The drive axle is a 1/2-in dowel with a square shank at one end to engage the rotisserie motor, and a flat blade at the other end to engage a chunk of foam cut from a swimming pool toy.........Love the idea Joe:2tsup: - just gotta sus out the neighbours barbies now to see whose got a rotisserie they won't miss ........... hmmmmmm!!!