PDA

View Full Version : Chairman's Gavel.

docusk
22nd February 2007, 10:56 PM
Hi folks, back on line if not on form!
I want to make a gavel and hammer for the chairman of an organization to which I belong.
I have the shape in mind but I need advice as to which wood I should use for each item.
Any takers?
docusk

tashammer
23rd February 2007, 07:57 AM
elm might be ok, nice curly interlocked grain. you could give the rostrum a nice belt with that. Do you recall that elm was used for wheel hubs as it was able to handle many a shock without splitting. Are there any elms left after all the Dutch elm disease?

rsser
23rd February 2007, 09:20 AM
Something with a bit of spring in it for the handle so the chair could play a roll ;-} .. maybe hickory?

rod1949
23rd February 2007, 10:47 AM
With a club that I was in, the Treasurer presented the end of year audit and I seen that we brought some gravel... I'm scratching my head trying to fathom out what we brought the gravel for. When it came time I asked the question what was the gravel for. I quickly got told its "Gavel" as the Chair waved it in the air, everbody had a good chuckle whilst I sunk back in my chair.

docusk
24th February 2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks chaps. I found I already had a blank of Elm in my store so that's ok.
What about the hammer head (no shark jokes today, I'm still a bit fragile from last weekend).

I expect I can get a square of hickory from somewhere. Would a piece as from a branch be better for a springy handle. I will probably put a brass dowel through as well as a wedge to ensure it doesn't "Fly off the handle" at the wrong time.

I wish I had some of your woods easily available over here. We only have a handful of outlets catering for woodturners but I did see that someone is going to be getting some stuff from Oz later this year. Roll on.

Docusk

rsser
24th February 2007, 12:48 PM
Actually I was just joking about the hickory. I've never turned any but it might be OK.

FWIW I have turned whatever the elm is that fills our streets and parks and it would be too light for the job I reckon. And it ends up a puke beige.

You'd want a higher density fine-grained timber. Do a search of the forum for 'timber qualities' - I posted a table not too long ago.

docusk
24th February 2007, 08:58 PM
OK Ern, many a true word spoken in jest. Maybe a willow branch, that's pretty straight grained but will it turn?

docusk

rsser
24th February 2007, 10:58 PM
Good point. Pretty fibrous stuff ... which brings us to your Ash. Hard, springy.

You'd have to stain it if you wanted the trad look, and it's hard to get it dark unfortunately.

Hickory
25th February 2007, 11:21 AM
Back in the 70s my sister Typed for a Lawyer and he needed some gavels for the KY Bar Assn. She thunk of me and soon I produce a box full of them. Walnut was the choice, at that time. Not so much for pounding nails and the like but rapping on a block to gain attention.

Was looking all over for the pattern (I am a stickler to following the pattern) but to no avail... Have been looking sense you posted.... Will keep trying to find the pattern or at least a picture. These is yet some dust I haven't moved in a decade or so....

Okay, I took a picture of one of the ones I had left, After over 30 years of kids and a gauntlet of grandkids poundiing eachother on the head or whatever, it still looks pretty good, considering.... I did a few quick measurements...

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/Gavel.jpg

docusk
25th February 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks Hickory from an even older retired nurse! I hope you find the pattern but don't knock yourself out, us elders need our shuteye!
Mine mostly in the afternoon?

docusk

rsser
25th February 2007, 06:27 PM
Docusk,

Had this site bookmarked re species: http://rfs.org.uk/thirdlevel.asp?ThirdLevel=164&SecondLevel=33

Other woods are found via the crappy nav bar on the left.

docusk
25th February 2007, 08:39 PM
Ern,
I certainly hadn't come across this site! I've had a good look through and find it very informative. I shall mention it at the nest meeting of the Woodturner's Ass.

Docusk

Salty
25th February 2007, 09:39 PM
Hickory! The KY Bar Assn?? where were they putting those gavels??:o
Oh Now I get it KentuckY!
Cheers
Salty

Frank&Earnest
25th February 2007, 09:39 PM
Totally agree with Ern, ash would be the time honoured choice of timber for a gavel in old N Europe.

Here down under I made one for a local Italo/Australian association using oz jarra for the head and iti olive for the handle. It has been banged frequently (no surprise there:D ) for ten years and is still going strong.

docusk
25th February 2007, 10:59 PM
Oooh salty you old dog (see what I did there?)
The kind of KY WE were talking about is not the one that comes in tubes.
I just had a poke round in my wood store and lo and behold there is a blank of Ash, right size and all. Who just said Golden.... ?
docusk.

Hickory
26th February 2007, 02:01 AM
Hickory! The KY Bar Assn?? where were they putting those gavels??:o
Oh Now I get it KentuckY!
Cheers
Salty

Right you are Kentucky Bar Association....:2tsup:

That would be a Lawyer (Barriaster) Association ... Not to be confused with Bars & Pubs which often co-exist quite well together....:;

In addition Docusk, The Cylindrical area in the center of the head was made to fit an engraved brass plaque as the gavels were awarded when some hotshot became a judge or something.