PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi

cadnams
23rd June 2003, 11:41 AM
Hey all,

Re: Hitachi routers.... TR12 or M12V??? Any opinions...?

Cheers,
Cadnams

Wayne Davy
23rd June 2003, 02:44 PM
I used to have a TR12 and only sold it because it was not variable speed. Great Router but I needed variable speed to run some big moulding bits.

cadnams
23rd June 2003, 03:23 PM
Experience needed... I am making my first router purchase and I want to get it right. From what I have seen and heard I want an Hitachi router, but which one?

I would love to buy the TR12. I had the opportunity to use one recently, along with a number of other routers, and this was the one that stood out for me but the M12V was not available so I could not try it out. My problem lies in the fact that I want the extra features of the M12V but I have heard a couple of less favourable opinions about this one (less favourable in comaprison to the TR12 anyway).

It is going to be my only router and I will be using it both free hand and in a table.

Is the M12V as good as the TR12 ???

Thanks,

Cadnams

Wood Borer
23rd June 2003, 03:48 PM
Cadnams,

My TR12 is one I purchased new approximately 17 years ago.

I cannot fault it, the only thing I have replaced is the chuck and that was 18 months ago. I am an amateur so the life my router gets is holiday mode compared to professionals. Many professionals have Hitachi routers and they seem to keep going forever.

Next time around I would go for a variable speed router for reasons mentioned above.

- Wood Borer

John Saxton
23rd June 2003, 09:50 PM
Hi There have been a lot of posts regarding the good,the bad & the ugly in reviews on Hitachi routers...you, if haven't done so already could glean a lot from what has been said down the track by searching with the STRING Hitachi in the router forum.

I personally have heard a lot of good things about the TR12 mainly that they are here to stay longevity wise as a working power tool.
Myself I have the MV12 which was a toss up at the time with the TR12,I bought it as it offered up those extra features but predominately the variable speed function that I wanted in a router.Plenty of grunt has not let me down and carries out the work that is required of it if intended as a mounted router...capable of handling those larger bits without any hassle.
Heavy to use in a hand-held situation ...moreover if doing a long run with it.Best suited to the mounted situation.
I have quite a few Hitachi tools bought solely on the reputation that they have ...and the fact that I know the Rep!

Just a coupla cents worth~
Cheers:)

Biggles
23rd June 2003, 09:53 PM
I've got the TR12 and have had it for the last 12 years or so and still going strong- had a fair bit of use being a cabinetmaker by trade. Fantastic router with plenty of grunt. Just a few little niggles for me which should be brought into the open.....

1. Twin spanners for changing bits!!! have suffered many a pinched hand when the bits needed changing when they finally came loose!. I've overcome this by using the spanners with 2 lengths of water pipe 'bout a foot long and pinched at the end over the spanners.Works great but dont overtighten the bits which is easy to do!

2. My one didnt have the raising handle for use in a table which you really need. I bought one but I think?? the new one have one as standard??If not easy to make one up with a pipe spanner??

3. Variable speed would be nice but not imperative unless you are going to use BIG router cutters. My Hitachi does give a bit of a kick when you first fire it up tho being a big router going from 0-22000rpm but not overly so( just hold on and let him rev!! )...this is acceptable and hasn't affected its performance over the years. A soft start would be nice though!

Overall for a strong, very reliable router at a good price you cant go wrong with this baby.Ive been very happy even with its little quirks which arent really a problem anyway?
BTW I have a fair few Hitachi tools (as well as other brand names) compound mitre saw, angle grinder, belt sander etc and all seem as strong/ reliable with plenty of use.Iif they perform as reliably as this pays to stick with what you know?? my 2 cents worth anyway I'm happy with them!

kenmil
23rd June 2003, 10:24 PM
Biggles,

As someone who uses power tools for a living, what is your opinion of DeWalt ?

soundman
23rd June 2003, 10:40 PM
I have a tr12.
no real complaints. earns its keep.

My mate has several m12 series machines.
he did buy a second, third & fourth

dust extraction on the hitachi machines is available but not good.

If you want variable speed the m12v is the choice if you want hitachi.

If you aren't realy working the machine hard the tr12 will probably ok.

the tr12 will push a half inch bit thru an18mm pine plywood board without dificulty.

I now have two variable speed machines.
variable speed is worth it just for the smooth starts and the absence of scream. The motor is better controlled.

there are so many good choices in the 2 to 3 hp bracket.

no direct experience with dewalt but have heard good noises!

Biggles
23rd June 2003, 10:49 PM
Hi Ken
Just recently I purchased the Dewalt biscuit joiner over the Makita one. I put out some feelers about these 2 brands on this forum somewhere!! Bought it mainly on price as I got a great deal.... over $70 off at (I know im gonna cop it!) Bunnies as they were getting rid of their stock of these?? I didnt know anyone who had one either so was taking a bit of a chance but the replys seemed favorable?? It seems fine and accurate but it hasn't copped any real long use like the Hitachi router has(if they made a biscuit joiner I know it would be a solid unit!!!)
As for other Dewalt tools (routers and others) i'm sorry to say I havent used any others in my travels apart from a little palm sander. I dont know if this is a reflection of the known percieved quality of "trade brand" tools being mainly Hitachi, Makita,Metabo etc or just being thought of as just a "yellow and black" Black and Decker brand but they are what i've used primarily.
Sorry I cant help u more:rolleyes:

Geoff Sims
23rd June 2003, 11:05 PM
I've been using a TR12 for longer than I can remember.

Great machine, but recently, because I needed the variable speed to be able to safely run larger bits, I've had to lash out and buy another router.

I wasn't able to get past the Triton. It's got every desirable feature you could want. Terrific machine!!

All that said, if I hadn't needed the variable speed option, I would have happily stuck to the TR12.

Cheers
Geoff

Biggles
23rd June 2003, 11:17 PM
I've heard some good reports on the Triton router too (with a little exception on the switch and fine MDF dust?which was covered under warranty which they know about).I dare say if you looked in the search area in this forum there should be some favorable opinions. Pretty sure they are Aussie made too! Woo Hoo!! Good to see we can match it with the best!Sorry cant give you any personal account of the machine tho!:rolleyes:

journeyman Mick
23rd June 2003, 11:23 PM
I've got a TR12 and it's seen 12 years of trade use, some of it quite hard, like cutting large deep mortices in hardwood poles to fit balustrading in. It's been an excellent machine with, as Biggles reports, only a few minor quirks. One other one I might point out is that when it's working hard it does vibrate a bit and things do tend to work themselves loose. I've had the adjustable stops unscrew themselves and fall out as well as the wingnuts that hold the fence and depth scale in place. It is noisy and its kick on start up might be intimidating for a novice. The only reason I bought another router (I still have the TR12) is that I needed to use some large diameter bits. I've never used the M12V so I can't help you there.

Mick

Biggles
23rd June 2003, 11:28 PM
Ooops forgot about that one, thats happened when in table mode to me too!!! thanks Mick!:D

cadnams
25th June 2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. Now the final question, the Hitachi M12V or the Triton?

The issues that I am concerned about are these. If anyone can shed any light on any of these points I would really apprecaite it.

- Ergonomics/balance in plunge mode (handle position etc)

- Manufacturing quality

- Straight Fence (the Triton fence looks concerning for mine)

- Micro depth adjustement (is the M12V optional extra for this any good?)

- Ability to make a large circle cutting attachment on the Triton (I have seen a great one made for the M12V)

- Possibility of the depth guides moving during use

I am looking at heading out this weekend to make my purchase because I am keen to start routing and stop researching.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Cadnams

journeyman Mick
25th June 2003, 12:30 PM
It should be possible to make a circle cutting attachment for pretty much any router. I use a strip of ply or MDF the same width as the base diameter, cut a circular opening at one end with a hole saw to coincide with the opening in the base. Remove the plastic/phenolic slip on the base and use it as a template to drill mounting holes in the jig, attach to router base and your'e done. Never having used either router I can't help you with your other quetions. Good luck, and have fun this weekend with whichever new toy you decide on.

Mick

Sir Stinkalot
25th June 2003, 10:55 PM
Hi,
I have just noticed a Hitachi M12V for sale on Ebay for $200 .... just thought it may be of interest to somebody.
Ebay Hitachi M12V (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2330472775&category=632)

Arthur Alchin
1st July 2003, 09:39 AM
I love my TR12, what else can i say (to the jealousy of my Skil)

Wish I had of aslo bought the little Hitachi M8 instead of the skill.

Arthur

Neil
1st July 2003, 09:03 PM
My TR12 was purchased in 1978. It has literally done thousonds of hours work on furniture and mouldings initially then on signs and later it copped a hiding from students at our school of woodcrafts. It has recently found its way back home to me after almost 5 years of solid work and abuse from one of my sons.

It would have to be the noisiest router I have ever heard and it was that way from day one. It has had 2 new chucks, a set of springs for the plunger and about 5 sets of brushes.

It is without a doubt the most reliable power tool I have ever owned and has out lasted 4 other routers in its lifetime. It is still going strong and I am sure will be going for many more years to come. I love it.

If it's a toss up between the Triton and M12V I reckon I'd be going for the one with the proven track record. The triton looks nice however it has already had one problem (albeit a minor one) so maybe........ If it was made in Australia, by the original Triton people, I would probably give it a go just to support the Aussie side of things.

PaoloBrisbane
2nd July 2003, 10:06 PM
Hi,

My first post on this forum! Have heard a lot about Hitachi on various threads in this forum, and bought a MV12V(S) today after all the generally good feedback. Scary machine after working with an underpowered 1hp 750w Ryobi for so long...

Anyways, was posting because I asked at Bunnings @ Wembly Rd Underwood (Brisbane) whether they had Hitachi, and they had 2 MV12V's hidden in boxes under the main display in 'the lock up cage'. Apparently they aren't selling them anymore as they don't sell enough (too many Ozitos, GMC's and....Ryobis *blush*), But it had written on it "20% off $347.20" which I bought it for, saving I believe quite a few $$'s.

So if u are in Brisbane and looking for this router, there is one left sitting under the router display at a pretty good price.

Cheers

Paolo

kenmil
2nd July 2003, 10:28 PM
Interesting point that. I was in Bunnings in Nunawading yesterday and looked at cordless drills (Like I need a fifth one ??). Anyway, I noticed that apart from a couple of Bosch Green models, and one Metabo, the entire display was made up of B&D, Ozito, GMC, Ryobi. It seems like the Bunnings buyer has decided to take his range downmarket, probably because that is where the volume is.

I am in the retail business, so I might give him a call and ask why they don't have DeWalt, Hitachi, Porter Cable, Festo (yeah, right)etc

John Saxton
3rd July 2003, 08:27 PM
Crikey Paolo,half your luck I bought mine 8/9 years ago and nowhere that price.
GOODONYA
Cheers:)

Iain
6th July 2003, 12:28 PM
I only paid $90.00 for my Hitachi, admittedly it was in 1985 at a woodworking show on the last day but it has never missed a beat.
On the negative side, I bought a height adjuster for it two years ago and that cost $75.00 :( but good for fine tuning on the dovetail jig.

xron
24th July 2003, 09:46 PM
G'Day Cadnams - sighted your Q on routers - hence a reply. I was taken by your comment that this will be your only router purchase. I've news for you - once you've trully appreciated what a router can do you'll need more than one. I currently have five - two Makita 3600's, two TR12's and a GMC 1/4" - love them all.
However if I were to advise a newcomer to routing I'd be amiss to suggest anything other tan the Hitachi TR12. Both of mine are 2nd hand but have worked flawlessly for the last 10 to 15 years.
If you are new to routers just forget the HUGE bits for panel raisers etc. - I'd suggest that you really need a good solid workhorse so as to hone you skills. Thereafter the Triton etc may start to appeal. But walk before you run.
As evidence consider that the TR12 has been around for about 25 years - sure it's changed over time but the name is what sells it. Check the brushes - my two have different sizes. They neeed to be stripped regularly to get the crap out of the plunge system - I use mine mostly upside down. Some other brands have concertina rubbers that should be considered as an add-on to the TR12.
Thus no matter what you eventually graduate to the TR12 will always be a lifetime tool.
Regards - Ron

cadnams
25th July 2003, 10:59 AM
Well, I have finally made the big purchase (some weeks after I had expected to). Thanks to everyone for the advice. Experience counts and you guys all have more than me.

THE RESULT...

I decided that I didn't need variable speed, at least not yet, so I did not NEED the M12V. However, I preferred the ergonomics of the M12V over the TR12 so I was still very definitely undecided. Then I stumbled across the M12SA. It has the ergonomics I wanted but is not variable speed, so my problem was solved. As a couple of added bonuses it is more powerful than the TR12 and it came with the new fine adjustment handle (saved me buying one seperately since I am mid way through building my router table).

I gave it a solid workout (for a beginner anyway) the first three days I had it, and it is terrific! I have now completed the entire frame to my new workbench (complete with big chunky M&T joints) and combining this with my recent acquisition of a few good quality power tools and a quick release vice I am well on the way to having a good woodworking set up.

Anyway, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Cadnams

Arthur Alchin
26th July 2003, 07:36 AM
would,nt it be nice if the hitachi people could see the amount of support they get from australians and maybe sponsor some router workshops around the country.

At the same time they could introduce people to the newest products without that being the main focus of the day/s.

I'd be prepared to pay $50 per day for an expert to go through safety and use of the machine to get the most of it.

Arthur A