PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate

DPerry
24th February 2007, 01:19 AM
Well it's almost finished (hope I'm not boring everone with this thread). The piece was originaly drawn with 1,575 parts I reduced it to 1,380 was having problems with assembly. Over the span of the bridge the parts to show the cables was over 200 parts, with the kerf thickness variance lets say .0005" with over 200 of them thats almost 1/8". Well all that's left is the finish, I think I'll let my son do the finishing. He has a mixture of tung oil and poly (I think) that I hear looks great, mirror finish. He did a finish on a project For Foster Farms he said that came out great, it went out before I saw it http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/frown.gif

After assembly flipped over back removed ready for glue up.

Piece glued up flipped backover and into the vacuum press.

After being in the press about 16 hours removed from the template. The fun part next removing all the tape http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

After running through the drum sander and ready for the finish, I'll have to get jr. on this.

Applied lacquer based sanding sealer and sanded, ready for finish.

I'll update with the finished piece.

Dennis

mongrell
24th February 2007, 07:42 AM
hey dennis that looks stunning great job mate. how did you make the really fine wires on the bridge ?

DPerry
24th February 2007, 08:45 AM
Thanks mong, the cable lines are the butt joints.

thaks agian Dennis

paul collins
27th February 2007, 12:23 PM
once again fine work dennis:2tsup:

DPerry
27th February 2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks Paul It's good to get some feed back, heres the next piece maybe complete in about 2 months??:rolleyes: This is the drawing I'm working from.

Thanks Dennis

paul collins
27th February 2007, 01:29 PM
why not try something intricate next time dennis:D :D

paul collins
6th March 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks Paul It's good to get some feed back, heres the next piece maybe complete in about 2 months??:rolleyes: This is the drawing I'm working from.

Thanks Dennis

dennis i notice in another thread that i cant quite find,that you have a jet 18" bs.is it a 2 hp or a 3 hp version.i am going top buy one but the 3hp one is $600 more here in australia.i am wondering if the 2hp version is not good enough for resaing.any help will be appreciated.

DPerryJr
9th March 2007, 06:00 PM
Paul,

To the best of my knowledge he has a 3HP. But I could be wrong. Dad will be back from vacation early next week and can better answer your question.

DPerry
15th March 2007, 09:50 AM
Hey Paul, My saw is a 3hp, I think they are two different saws, Blade lenght, blade guides and some other stuff. I would think the 2hp would be fine power wise if not doing large resawing of hardwoods using a power feeder. More isn't always better but is most of the time.

Have fun Dennis

paul collins
16th March 2007, 10:42 PM
thanks dennis,not sure if the 3hp has replaced the2hp.it has only been available here for a couple of months so i shall find out at the woodworking show next month.as i wont be resawing 12" hardwood everyday i suppose 2hp will be plenty.will let you know what i end up with,cheers mate.