PDA

View Full Version : Termite Bits

thostorey
24th February 2007, 07:23 PM
I just made a meter long shaft and handle for 'termite' bits. I have the #2 bit and when I tried it it worked well. The long handle gives me leverage and the attempts of the bit to catch were controllable. Mind, I was careful not to be too aggressive. I think the #3 bit would probably be less prone to clogging? Anyone using this bit care to comment?

Oh, although I've been lurking for some time, this is my first posting. LOTS of info on this forum:U

Cheers, Tom

BernieP
24th February 2007, 07:31 PM
G'Day Tom

Welcome aboard, would like to see some photos of both the termite and your work

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th February 2007, 07:48 PM
I assume you mean the Termite hollowing tool? The one with "ring cutters?" I don't own one, but borrowed one for quite some time while I... errrm... "evaluated" it to see if 'twas going to find a place on my wish list. :p 'Twas reclaimed before I finished my assessment... I mean, who can really tell after a mere 6 months? :-

If you're clogging the #2 bit, you're probably cutting too aggressively for it and moving to the #3 would, of course, be the obvious thing to do. How green the wood is, how soft, etc, etc. are all factors too... but in those cases cutting "normally" would be too aggressive. The downside of the #3 is that because it removes more material it's also more prone to catching. (I doubt that's a surprise to anyone here.)

I decided against buying one, but having seen Ern's (rsser) recent post about using a toolgate for woodturning, I can't help but think they'd complement each other very nicely and I may have to approach a certain bloke about a re-evaluation. :D

BTW, welcome to the madhouse. :wink:

Cliff Rogers
24th February 2007, 09:02 PM
G'day Tom, welcome aboard.

We like pics. :D

:worthless:

thostorey
25th February 2007, 10:45 AM
I measured the handle and it's 34". Here's an attempt to post a picture.

Here's a few bowls, mostly from burls. The largest is about 14" in dia.

Cheers, Tom

thostorey
25th February 2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I uploaded a couple of pics to the 'Tiny URL' site and tried to post them to this site. Lotsa luck:~ I did the 'preview post' thing and my pics were there so I hit post message. Nope, didn't post:~. Maybe I need a little dual on posting pics on this forum:)

Thanks, Tom

RETIRED
25th February 2007, 03:59 PM
Well, I uploaded a couple of pics to the 'Tiny URL' site and tried to post them to this site. Lotsa luck:~ I did the 'preview post' thing and my pics were there so I hit post message. Nope, didn't post:~. Maybe I need a little dual on posting pics on this forum:)

Thanks, Tom
Tom, under the reply window there is a section marked "Additional options".

Under that heading is "manage attachments".

Browse where your pics are stored on your hard drive and insert in here.

Welcome aboard.

thostorey
25th February 2007, 05:21 PM
A few 'bottle toppers' etc. THANKS !

Hickory
25th February 2007, 06:05 PM
I had termites a while back but they put out those traps and bait gismos and they all are gone to glory now.... What are you talking about? Some sort of Hollowing tool ot bowl gouge? :?

Flaco
25th February 2007, 07:13 PM
Hi Tom
I use the termite mostly on end grain hollowing. Like you I do not use the original tools handle and shaft ( Oneway ) , insted I use a 800 mm long , 25 mm diameter shaft with a 300 mm wooden handle.
I dont have any cloging problems ( I turn mostly green wood ) , the ring might seem some times clooged , but puting it back inside the vesle and cuting ,opens it right away.

Great looking bowls !!

Guy

Wayne Blanch
25th February 2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome Tom, they are some nice turnings:2tsup: - don't you love burls!:D