PDA

View Full Version : Lazy E restoration

MarkS
24th February 2007, 07:56 PM
I have a Lazy E (National E) sailing dinghy that I would like to restore. Most of the work centres around replacing the plywood deck and then painting the hull and varnishing the deck. Has anyone done anything like this before. I havent taken on a project like this ever,so all help and advice would be appreciated.

bitingmidge
24th February 2007, 10:26 PM
Mark,

Have a trawl through Michael Storer's website then get to this page:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~storerm/Faq/faqindex.html

somewhere down the bottom there are a number of articles on fixing up racing dinghies, all with a practical eye.

Mik bobs up here frequently, but seems to be a bit absent of late while getting a few things ready for the Goolwa boatshow I think.

Don't forget to post progress shots, we're all up for a good old sticky!

cheers (and welcome by the way!)

P
:D :D

MarkS
26th February 2007, 08:50 PM
Hi
Tanks for the reply. I am also concerned about keeping th shape of the boat once I start removing the deck. I would think it provides a lot of stiffness to the boat. Any hints in how to start would be good too.

Cheers
:B:B:rolleyes:

Boatmik
28th February 2007, 08:08 AM
Howdy MarkS,

The Lazy E (or as it is known now the National E Skiff) will retain its shape providing the bulkheads and most of the subdeck framing is in place - after all that is how the boat was built - the deck ply goes on last.

One important thing is to make sure the hull is untwisted when the deck goes back on - it will twist more with the deck off and then if the deck is put on without checking the twist will be locked in.

It is pretty easy to check - just sight the top edge of the transom up with the top edge of the main bulkhead and check the stem lines up perpendicular to the front bulkhead as well. As the boat will be upright to adjust any twist just put some timber blocks or bricks or whatever under the chines to hold the hull untwisted while the decks are screwed down.

If using epoxy for gluing the screws can be temporary as per the FAQ Midge gave a link for above.

Also read the thread by meercat which covers the same project and much of thinking about using modern materials to fix the decks of a Cadet dinghy.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=29435

Michael Storer

MarkS
1st March 2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Michael
The site was very helpful to me in understanding the work I will have to do. However I am puzzled as to how to actually get the deck off the boat. It appears to be moslty glued on.

Thanks
MarkS