PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Box Beginner - do you need special blades???

I_wanna_Shed
24th February 2007, 10:07 PM
Hi All,

I love the look of bandsaw boxes, and want to buy a bandsaw to start this craft this year (hopefully!).

I have a question though.... I have bought a few bandsaw boxes which have the main body as a sideways U shape, and draw sits in that. I can see how this box would have been made.

However, I've seen magnificent boxes that have draws (or multiple draws) in the middle, surrounded by solid wood. How are these cut out? I mean, how do you get the bandsaw blade through the middle of the wood? With a coping saw you can drill a hole in your job, remove one end of the blade and feed the blade through the wood and off you go. How is this done on a bandsaw?

Are there bandsaw blades that you can 'split'? How is this done. I'm probably just not thinking outside the square...

Thanks again,
Nathan.

Sculptured Box
25th February 2007, 07:10 AM
Nathan

The easiest way to answer your question is to refer you to the Free Bandsawn Box Plans,and “Pocket Guide to Bandsaw Box Making”, now available at www.tonyward.org (http://www.tonyward.org/).

Making bandsawn boxes are great fun, at the same time you can be rewarded for your own creativity.

I_wanna_Shed
25th February 2007, 07:47 PM
Thankyou Tony,

I was thinking this morning that this may be how they are cut, its just that I have never noticed the entry point on finished pieces.

I will also use your plans when I get into box making!

Thanks again,
Nathan.