PDA

View Full Version : New Shed

Wood Borer
24th June 2003, 11:24 AM
My existing shed is OK apart from being too low, too narrow and too short, too ventilated and too old.

My solution is to get a new shed.

Like all of us I have heard horror stories of builders who promise the earth, never turn up on time, take forever to complete the job and the final bill being many times the original quote for a sub standard job.

The new shed I anticipate being approx 15-16 m long and around 3-4 m wide depending on the quote.

SWMBO has given me permission to go ahead with the project but I have stalled because I don’t know any builders or how to go about getting a good builder, coupled with the fears of being caught out with a bad one.

Build it myself? Not really, work commitments and the time to do it. I am after a fuss free good quick job that is fairly priced – am I dreaming?

I can tolerate a delayed start but once started, it needs to be completed quickly otherwise SWMBO will have trouble watching TV with all my gear in the house.

Any suggestions, recommendations of builders in the Melbourne area around Camberwell?

- Wood Borer

DaveInOz
24th June 2003, 11:48 AM
Are you looking at colorbond / corro, weatherboard, brick?

I've had 2 sheds built by a garage shed place but they only do garage style corro/ colorbond sheds.

Wood Borer
24th June 2003, 12:04 PM
Dave,

Colorbond roof, brick for the boundary fence and weather boards for the three other external walls.

I have chosen that combination so that it fits in with the house, gives a certain amount of insulation and noise suppression.

The floor would ideally be wood or yellow tongue once again for heat and noise insulation and dropped tool protection.

I am not in the habit of dropping tools (twice in 15 years) but I dropped a mirror honed razor sharp chisel on the concrete two weekends ago which caused me to use loud profane language.

- Wood Borer

Pulpo
24th June 2003, 07:38 PM
For that style and size you will need plans to submit to the council. Ask the draught person.

Once you have some plans get on the blower and see what the response is like for quotes [usually average].

You may build a repore with one.

I think this is a fairly serious size project for your average home.

Only pay for materials once on site or if that's not possible pay the suppliers yourself not the builder.

For labour payments agree upon a set schedules, once "x" is completed etc.

This way if the builder is not up to scratch you are not too far out of pocket when you p... him/her off.

Be cynical you'll be wiser with out being poorer for it.

Pulpo

kenmil
24th June 2003, 07:45 PM
16M by 4M ????
That's not a shed, it's a bloody pavilion ! And with the cost of land in Camberwell, it could well be the most expensive shed in Melbourne. Without doubt, your first step needs to be getting approvals for your plans.

RETIRED
25th June 2003, 12:02 AM
Gooday needs to be 10' high too, would have liked 12' on mine but council said 10'was limit where I am.

Wood Borer
25th June 2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the advice.

The final size will be determined by price, we have a reasonable sized backyard all paid off by working several jobs when I had more hair and could live on 4 or 5 hours sleep. The kids have been educated and have left home.

Part of the shed I will probably partition off to make an office for design, keeping a PC, keeping my woodwork books in and entertaining woodworking mates.

I plan to retire in the next ten years or earlier.

I currently pend more time in my shed than any other place in the house.

Hopefully I will be a long time retired so I want a good place to work.

Superannuation currently loses money, has a growing number of restrictions on it and all you get in return is money. Money of course is necessary but it doesn't keep you entertained or your mind occupied.

On the other hand, the day I retire, I will have a nice shed to work in, plenty of projects to work on, superannuation trickling in to live on, I won't be under SWMBO's feet ......

I will also have ten years or so to break it in and fill it with good tools and timber.

You reckon that is an expensive shed? I reckon it will be the best value for money around.

, I appreciate the comment about the height and I will try to make it as high as is practical and legal and within budget.

So if you see someone around Camberwell on the weekend wearing a navy blue singlet and old clothes who is happy, stop and say g'day to me. Better still follow me home and have a cuppa in my shed.

- Wood Borer

journeyman Mick
25th June 2003, 12:47 PM
Woodborer, if you are using brick for one wall because it is on the boundary or within 1.5M then it will need to be a fire rated wall (usually rated for 60min.) and this does add to the cost. I know that even though the Building Code of Australia does have a lot of regional variations in it I don't imagine that they would relax this requirement. I'm not sure that a single leaf brick wall would meet this requirement, so it may pay to check before going too far. Please post some photos of progress once started! My shed progress has stalled as we've had 3 weeks of unseasonal rain and I'm just ready to put the roof on.:(

Mick

Wood Borer
25th June 2003, 01:50 PM
Mick,

I will post photos - before after and during. I have to get a builder yet and my plans together.

I was planning on putting in a double brick wall to replace the current paling fence.

I estimate the project will cost between $20K-$30K which on the surface seems a lot for a shed but like I said earlier the benefits are there for me and SWMBO.

Any savings I can make will go into insulation and the cyclone I plan to build thanks to Wayne.

- Wood Borer

craigb
25th June 2003, 01:58 PM
Wood Borer,

How well do you get on with your neighbours? Are they aware of your plans? You may have some problems if not. I don't know if I'd be too thrilled if one of my neighbours wanted to build a 10' high brick wall on our shared boundary.
Just my $.02.

Craig

Wayne Davy
25th June 2003, 02:12 PM
Wood Borer,

Seeing as you a going to build a Cyclone D/C, think about including a sealed up cupboard/small room for the Cyclone or, better yet, put the Cyclone on the outside with an enclosure/roof over it. This will lower/remove the noise the beast generates. They are not really noisy like a Table Saw but, as you would generally turn it on and leave it on, it will be continually making noise which can get on the nerves. (This goes for all D/C's BTW)

Good luck with the Shed! I hope to build myself one in a few years time and get out from under the house.

Wood Borer
25th June 2003, 02:13 PM
Craig,

They are already downhill from me and they have a 2 storey house that overlooks us so their view from the ground floor is already obstructed by the paling fence and the existing shed.

Their view over a higher shed will still be possible from the second storey.

SWMBO has already mentioned it in passing and they are quite excited about the project because they will get a new fence (brick) near their spa!

I have also made some things for them.

- Wood Borer

Sir Stinkalot
25th June 2003, 02:16 PM
WHAT?????

The cyclone after the shed if finished??????

I would have thought that one would have engaged Wayne as a highly decorated consultant from day one. The pipe work to aid in the efficiency of the cyclone should determine the structural layout of the shed. I strongly suggest you get Wayne on the blower (pardon the pun) or better still arrange for him to do an all expenses paid site visit. The site visit will need to be in the summer as it will be too chilly for him down here at the moment. I am sure the extra $20-$30K invested in Wayne’s services will pay hansom dividends in the long run … it will be a shed that they will be talking about for years to come. Oh and don’t forget to fly Bill out for the final certification on the cyclones instillation and the first turn on.
:p
Before people start to write in … the above should be taken in the good humour that it was intended. I think Wayne’s cyclone is a great idea … and I’m sure that he can supervise the project from the comfort of Queensland.

Stinky

Sir Stinkalot
25th June 2003, 02:18 PM
how quick is that man :)

Wood Borer
25th June 2003, 02:30 PM
Stinky,

After telling so many others about Wayne and Cyclones I now have to build one just to save face! In the last week I have drawn diagrams of cyclones three times on the whiteboard in the old shed. Should use a permanent marker!

I was considering building a large cyclone and then building the shed around it. With the new ASIO laws and people a bit nervy about terrorists I decided something looking like a rocket cone sitting on a concrete pad might give me free accomodation in some ASIO cell for 7 days!

Do you think my estimate of cost is too high, just right or am I dreaming?

- Wood Borer

Wayne Davy
25th June 2003, 02:46 PM
Wood Borer,

Actually, Stinky does have a point. Not the one about hiring me for $20K - although I would not say no ;) (might get my shed up this year)

I meant the one about doing the Duct Pipe DURING construction. This will really save you a lot of grief later on. I have spent more time doing the piping and machine hoods/connection than thinking/building the Cyclone.

As you are thinking about a wood floor (excellent choice BTW), you could run a 6" main diagonally across the shed under the floor. Then branch out from that to the walls/corners where the tools will be. Nice and neat. Also, put in inspection/access point so that you can remove the occasional blockages that are usually caused by Rags, Paper, small Children/animals, etc. that are accidently sucked up :D

DaveInOz
25th June 2003, 02:46 PM
This is all well and good but the plans have to suit main purpose of the shed as well as the layout of the back yard.
Will the toilet, bar/fridge in the shed be accessable from the BBQ without tramping the length of the shed.
Will the old couch with the spring poking out of one cushon be close enough to the fridge.
Will the girly calander with the greasy thumb print be the first thing that greets people on entry.
Will the fridge be big enough.
Can the TV be bracket mounted out of harms way but still available for score checks from the BBQ area.
Will you have cable installed to allow for New Yankie viewing near a fridge with a spring up your bum.
Where will the potbelly stove fit, will there be easy access for off cuts, and still room to stand around it while drinking.

Lets not forget the important things.

Wayne Davy
25th June 2003, 02:48 PM
Dave,

Very good points!! :D

Wayne Davy
25th June 2003, 03:15 PM
Wood Borer,

Save you drawing it each time, just print out one of these and stick in on the wall for the perplexed.

Drawn (badly) by me but kinda explains how they work.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wayne_davy/images/cyclonehowitworks.jpg

or this one from Gregory Machinery

http://www.gregmach.com/equipment_catalogue/dust_extraction/cyclone_systems/images/dust5.jpg

Gregories also have a duct layout as I was trying to explain (ignore the duct sizes as its a commercial design for a very big cyclone)
http://www.gregmach.com/equipment_catalogue/dust_extraction/cyclone_systems/images/dust6.jpg

Hope these help.

Wood Borer
25th June 2003, 03:20 PM
Wayne - The good points, was that referring to the calender?

The inspection points and laying of the ducts is a great idea. I will provide for power and put in draw wires for any other cabling I might need. I don't anticipate going with IP or CNC machines unless handplanes go that way.

I do muck around a bit with electronics and perhaps cabling for something in the future would not go astray in the planning stages.

The beer fridge will move outside but will only be used after the tools are put away - I do exercise some safety.

- Wood Borer