PDA

View Full Version : Small Workshop Tour...update

Dust Mite
25th February 2007, 03:42 PM
As some of you will know recently we moved and I have had to shoehorn a large workshop into a smaller one.

Dimensions of the new shop are 3.5 meters wide by 6 meters long and 2.1 meters stud height. A single car garage/workshop build about 1982 or there abouts.

A tin shed basically. Since moving in I have finished lining the shed with 7mm ply and am now thinking about lining the ceiling as well.The ply has improved the sound reduction in transmitted sound. This will be better once I replace the tilt door with solid panel hinged doors.

Surprisingly the roof although low has not been as much of an issue as I had first thought. I was concerned that it would be hot and it was but th heavy duty building paper used under the iron has proved to be a quite efficient insulator with the roof only being warm to the touch whereas outside its hot enough to fry an egg. I will still line the ceiling as this will help with insulation and noise reduction.

Space was also an issue or rather lack of it. I used the Grizzly online shed planner and tried a couple of variations, and have now got things about as good as I can for the time being.

This weekend saw the completion and installation of the workbench's cabinet. The unit is a 3 draw 2 cupboard affair. Drawers are mounted on commercial black powder coated runner than self close and the cupboards will be covered by tongue and grove Kauri 12mm thick with old style braces.

The unit will then house all the power tools that currently reside under the axillary table and get covered in frequently thick layers of dust. Not good for power tools.

Anyways on with the tour.

Pic 1 shows the single (at the moment) timber rack above the main dust collector. This is the view into the workshop from the front with the door fully up.

Pic 2 is immediately to the right of the tilt door and shows the Bill Pentz inspired vacuum cleaner powered mini cyclone for the power tools, with the 6 x 9 belt sander and small bandsaw next to it.

Pic 3 shows the mobile drill press and the mobile assembly trolley next to the main bench.

Pic 4 and 5 Show the new cabinet in place in the workbench frame with the tool racks immediately above. Note the mascot sitting on the radio. In my workshop its Xmas everyday :)

Dust Mite
25th February 2007, 03:50 PM
Pic 1 Moving around further we have the wall racks for the clamps and miscellaneous bolts and nuts etc

Pic 2 The auxiliary workbench in its new location. Bags of rags are stored below it and the power tool collection on the shelf. Its these tools that desperately need a new home.

Pic 3 The first of the shelf units with saws above. This is the screws/nails/glue/biscuits etc storage area. The wall mounted sandpaper center can also be seen. The dividers of this unit are all able to be slide out allowing for easy access to the sanding papers.

Pic 4 The storage area for mechanical tools, the reference library complete with Australian Woodsmith mags. To the left is the paints/stains/varnishes storage unit, with an old glass jar to hold the brushes.

Pic 5 Looking back out to the front of the shed, with the mobile benchsaw cabinet in the foreground.

And that ladies and gents concludes todays tour. I hope you enjoyed your visit, feel free to call in at any time. :)

David L
25th February 2007, 06:55 PM
Very compact but a nice set up DM

BobL
26th February 2007, 08:43 AM
Nice setup - I dream about tidy sheds like yours!

Harry72
26th February 2007, 09:22 AM
I reckon ye could squeeze some more tools in there!

Wongo
26th February 2007, 01:00 PM
DM, I like you workshop. Thanks.

Dust Mite
26th February 2007, 06:02 PM
I reckon ye could squeeze some more tools in there!

You would be right Harry I still have to get a 6inch jointer and a bigger bandsaw and on the wish list would be a drum sander. :)

Harry72
26th February 2007, 06:14 PM
Yep life sometimes throws us some real challenges, getting the workshop flow happening is one...

Cliff Rogers
26th February 2007, 06:31 PM
I don't like it.... it is too clean & neat & tidy. :D

Dust Mite
27th February 2007, 07:41 PM
I don't like it.... it is too clean & neat & tidy. :D

Sorry Cliff I will post some piccies of the shop before I tidy it up :)

Just had to clean it up so that I could shift a few things around.

fred.n
27th February 2007, 10:55 PM
Nice set-up DM
Sometimes small is better (well that's what I tell the wife anyway:D :p )

fred.n
27th February 2007, 10:56 PM
Do you live in the whole of New Zealand:? :? :p :D

Dust Mite
28th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Do you live in the whole of New Zealand:? :? :p :D
I do indeed. Drop in a visit if your over this way