PDA

View Full Version : welding marine ply

deejaybee
26th February 2007, 11:19 PM
I have a mechanical engineering friend who claims to have read in a 1940s Popular Mechanics about a process the U.S. Navy developed to "wet weld" marine ply. It was a process developed for the P-boats in the Pacific
No one else I have ever spoken with knows the story but have become intrigued with the "myth"

I would welcome any comments that would help get this idea out of my head because it's been sitting in there since 1978 and I am sure there is more useful information that could be put in those neurones.

Thanks for listening.

Landseka
27th February 2007, 01:48 PM
The article was probably published on 1st April 1940 :D:D:D

Daddles
27th February 2007, 02:16 PM
No mate, it'd be some method to achieve what modern epoxies make available to the modern buyer.

deejay, the only reason you wouldn't use modern epoxies is a desire to be different (not always a bad thing).

Richard
waiting for Mik
ping Mik
ping Mik
ping Mik

mariner25
28th July 2009, 02:53 PM
Ply sheets can be joined using a "scrarf" joint I think it was called.
The sheets were bevelled a minimum 10x the thickness of the ply and then glued.
Supposed to be as strong as the ply.
May have been called a "wet weld".

rob540
28th July 2009, 04:29 PM
I would welcome any comments that would help get this idea out of my head because it's been sitting in there since 1978 and I am sure there is more useful information that could be put in those neurones.

Thanks for listening.

If Deejaybee still has some neurones from 1978 he should hang onto them- they get clearer and better with time. The ones from 1968 are even better, but I can't seem to put my hand on one right now....:C

m2c1Iw
28th July 2009, 05:24 PM
If Deejaybee still has some neurones from 1978 he should hang onto them- they get clearer and better with time. The ones from 1968 are even better, but I can't seem to put my hand on one right now....:C

"It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety."
Isaac Asimov

:D:D

rob540
28th July 2009, 05:32 PM
"I am undone"
-A person who was until recently together.

Daddles
28th July 2009, 09:29 PM
"I am undone"
-A person who was until recently together.

It gets better, have you checked the dates of these posts? :rolleyes:

Richard

rob540
28th July 2009, 09:35 PM
Yep. But what's a few years between friends?:rolleyes:

PAR
29th July 2009, 08:44 AM
You can't weld wood, but you can get an adhesive called WeldWood Plastic Resin, which sticks as well as welding. It was this type of glue and resorcinol that made the PT and other WW II wooden patrol craft possible.

rob540
29th July 2009, 09:36 PM
There you go Mariner25,
you dug up an old unanswered question and after a bit of ill-disciplined louting about by the Irregular Forces, Par has finally put the question to bed- and reinforced your opinion as well. Good on you and welcome to the forum. (you sometimes need patience to get a real reply here, but sometimes it's just good to be silly) (and by that I'm not suggesting that Par was slow to answer, but that we were quick to be silly)

m2c1Iw
29th July 2009, 10:49 PM
Sorry Rob but I actually preferred Landsekas response :D

b.o.a.t.
30th July 2009, 01:31 AM
I certainly preferred Landseka's avatar.
(What were we discussing again?)
:U
AJ