PDA

View Full Version : Creative mounting of cut off wheels

BobL
27th February 2007, 12:35 AM
Norton abrasives have an interesting set of articles about abrasive safety.

The one that caught my eye was the creative mounting of cutting wheels (http://www.ind.nortonabrasives.com/Media/Documents/S0000000000000001035/Safety%20-%20Never%20Underestimate%20-%20Norton.pdf). I don't necessarily agree with everything they say but it's still interesting to see what people do.

Cheers

jmk89
27th February 2007, 07:53 AM
Bob

I am afraid that some of the fault for some of the things that don't appear to actually be wrong rests with my US lawyer colleagues. To show that they have satisfied their obligations to take reasonable care to prevent damage and disappointment to users of their products, manufacturers warn people of many things that are actually quite safe in sensible hands but which an unskilled, thoughtless and stupid person might make dangerous (most likely to him/herself).

It's the same here, I'm afraid. Look at clothes labelling - why do so many clothes say "Dry clean only". Because the best way to clean them or the only way to clean them satisfactorily is by dry cleaning? No. Because some fool will put his/her new red garment in with the whites and get pink shirts and undies and because if the garment doesn't survive dry cleaning (which most people don't do at home), they will complain/sue the dry cleaner not the manufacturer or retailer.

It's not very helpful but it does reduce the levels of product liability exposure of manufacturers/distributers/retailers in litigious societies.

Rave ends......

Cheers

Jeremy

soundman
27th February 2007, 12:03 PM
:D :D
some of them are just silly, others I can imagine are credible dangerous uses.

I will confess to having masonry cut off blade in a brush cutter..... the best thing for doing long neglected path edges.... but it was a straight shaft machine with an adequate guard...... hell its usual load is a metal brush knife and sthil do sell a carbide tipped saw blade for it.

I am constantly surprised how many hand grinders I see arround with NO guard attached.

cheers

journeyman Mick
27th February 2007, 12:14 PM
And just what is so wrong about mounting an abrasive disc on a model T ford axle?:? :q

Mick

Andy Mac
27th February 2007, 12:23 PM
Some of them are plain stupid, esp. fitting them with no guards and hands in close proximity. I'm culpable with one of them, but it only had a light red cross, so maybe not up there with the worst cases!:- :D (Basically I recycle large cut-off discs through 3 machines untill they're well worn out) You have to be careful, steady-handed, and concentrate 100%. And I've gotten into trouble with a large (9")angle grinder with the proper disc on, guards and all, so the onus is on the user all the time!
Cheers,

Gra
27th February 2007, 12:32 PM
And just what is so wrong about mounting an abrasive disc on a model T ford axle?:? :q

Mick

really ruins you petrol consumption figures.:q:q

journeyman Mick
27th February 2007, 04:27 PM
really ruins you petrol consumption figures.:q:q

And I guess Main Roads wouldn't be real pleased either.:q

Mick

Glenn_M
27th February 2007, 06:40 PM
And I guess Main Roads wouldn't be real pleased either.:q

Mick

Not to mention the train/ tram tracks......

soundman
28th February 2007, 11:18 AM
When it comes to making a realy nasty injury grinders are one of the best.

I think the problem is people think they are a slow cutting thing, they sort of view them as a heavy duty sander.
It doen't occur to them that they are high power machines and can doo a lot of damage very quickly.

I ran into a bloke I hadn't seen for a number of years, he proceeded to tell me his tale of wo, how he had almost cut his own foot off with a 9" grinder.
Let me rephrase that " cut his own foot almost off ".
Nasty kick back, leg in the wrog place, straight thru skin, flesh and both bones... dangling by a flap:doh: :no: :o :C .

remember as I've said before
go to a surgon with a bit hanging off.

cut it off with a clean sharp knife or blade........ yeh mate we can connect that back up. you'll be fine.:; a couple of months and you'll hardly notice the scar:U

cut it of with a saw...... OO mate thats a bit nasty....looks like it'll go back together ok.... probaly be a few mm short though.:; :roll:

cut it off with a grinder...... BH mate thats nasty & dirty:no: :( ..... I'll see what we can do..... :no: :? .... don't get your hopes up..... you'll be on antibiotics for a while...... no promises mind you:no: :no: :no: