PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Drawer

peter
14th February 2000, 09:04 AM
I am just in the process of finishing an End Table that I have been making. I just would like some feedback on what is the best thing to use on the drawers to make them slide smoothly. They are just a timber drawer sliding on a timer frame so what is the best "thing/finish" to make it all slide easy?.

Thanks for your advice.

ubeaut
14th February 2000, 05:21 PM
G'day Peter

Try some of U-Beaut Polishes - Traditional Wax (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/trad.html) it works well. Failing that use some paraffin wax on the runners etc. and failing that rub a candle stick on them. DONOT put a finish on the drawer sides, back etc. The raw timber helps take moisture away from the contents of the drawer and will give off a clean fresh smell, etc.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Neil

S Hayward
19th February 2000, 01:28 PM
Doorstop
Vaseline has many uses but as a lube on a drawer I'm not sure. That's a new one on me. We always use a bit of white candle. Same candle we use to wax up the bed of the jointer and thicknesser. Those who surf could use the board wax but beware the sand!!
Regards
Shaun
Ps Traditionaly drawer sides were finished off the plane, not sanded. This means it is important to get your grain direction right so that you can plane from front to back.