PDA

View Full Version : So where's the catch?

bitingmidge
28th February 2007, 10:59 AM
Today I received some spam the good old fashioned way... in my mailbox!

A pretty envelope posted from the USA enclosed FREE dinner conference tickets valued at $120.00

If I turn up I get a FREE BONUS GIFT of a business organiser valued at $39.99 (which in itself is interesting- if I am selling stuff logic tells me I'd price point it 1c below the even dollar to make it seem cheaper, but if I'm giving it away, surely I'd price it at "over $40.00 to make it seem more valuable?"

Then there's a BONUS GIFT (which may not be free... oh yes it is, I find out how to get my FREE copy after attending the conference) "Secrets and Shortcuts Guide to eBay Powerselling".

The FREE Organizer includes: Calculator, Ruler, Pen, Business Card Holder, Telephone Address Book, Cell Phone Holder, PDA Holder (so why would you need an organiser if you had a PDA?) and Planning Sections.

Wow.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to take them up on their generous offer as I'll be away!

So has anyone ever heard of www.eComTrainers.com and know exactly what their relationship is to Santa Clause?

I can imagine the pressure sell (presumably for a $10,000 self help make me rich on the internet FREE) would be enormous, but can't think of a less conducive place for it than the Caloundra RSL!!

Cheers,

P

silentC
28th February 2007, 11:15 AM
But Midge, it's a FREE BONUS GIFT!!

Bob38S
28th February 2007, 11:28 AM
Nothing is FREE

Somewhere, somehow, someone has to pay - either in deed, favour or $$$$$

It will be you - one way or another.

With all of these sorts of things - the cost of the freebies will be built in - usually at way over the basic cost of the individual items.

Most people are selfish, [this forum is certainly the exception] if it is so good, cheap or can make you a fortune - why would they tell you?

The only reason they tell you is that they are making $$$$$ out of you.

Beware!

"Choose carefully, if you burn your backside, only you can sit on the blisters."
JDW 1913-1973

Ashore
28th February 2007, 12:06 PM
I got a phone call from I think the same mob about 2 weeks ago here in Newcastle, not sure if they were the same group as I stopped listerning after about 10 secs, I was to get the dinner and a $50 gift voucher to Coles after attending their dinner seminar and would be able to make a Brazillion dollars a day from my own home using my Computer or some like crap
A most persistant male voice said the presintation only lasted 30 minutes, during dinner, was most upset when I suggested they were a hard sell group and should stick to fools and suckers so try another number goodbye and doint ring again, after the next 2-3 minutes or so or retoric, I think is was retoric but didn't hear cause I put the phone down without hanging up , but heard the click as they hung up. :D

Rgds

Wongo
28th February 2007, 12:40 PM
It is a scam.

Let me say it again. It is a scam so be careful. Don't trust anyone. Grab the business organiser and run.

Wongo
28th February 2007, 12:44 PM
Midge, is it USD $39.99 or AUD $39.99?

If it is USD then it could be as much as AUD $50.409. :2tsup:

KevM
28th February 2007, 12:52 PM
I was sent one a week ago or so.

The offer was to sit through a 90 minute presentation then receive free lunch or dinner (depending on the presentation I went to) and organiser for both me and partner. Would be extremely interested to find out more without committing 90 minutes opf my life.

fred.n
28th February 2007, 01:07 PM
Has anyone actually been to one of these things?

Bob Willson
28th February 2007, 05:43 PM
It isn't exactly a scam but it is a VERY hard sell of something. I have seen about 30,000 of these letters go through the mail lately (I work for AP.)

I attended one of a similar sort of thing about 4 years ago which was offering a free holiday. When we got there they gave all the people who were there a quick jolly up .. "How many of you came for the free holiday" etc all smiles etc. Then on to the hard sell of a holiday share accommodation.

When I started I told the woman doing the 'presentation' to me that she hadn't got a hope of selling me anything but she was prepared to believe in her own powers of persuasion. She failed of course but I could hear around the room all sorts of people who were being sucked in because of the way that the product was being presented to them.

They just continually ask you questions that require a "yes' answer from you and by the time it all finishes it seems churlish to say "no' to anything they ask of you. :)

ozwinner
28th February 2007, 05:50 PM
Midge dont go, its a trap, they are going to lock you up for some unpaid fine or other. :no:

Al :oo:

outback
28th February 2007, 07:46 PM
But what if he goes wearing a foilie?
Will he be safe?
Will he reflect the powers of persuasion back to the seller?
Will he look a goose?

ozwinner
28th February 2007, 08:08 PM
Sheesh, how could anyone wearing foil be seen as being a goose? :?

Al :U:U:U

SPIRIT
28th February 2007, 09:30 PM
been to a time share talk 3 times 2 free weakend trips and a camera in 3 years you just say :no: at the end it worked out a good hourly rate :U

goat
28th February 2007, 10:11 PM
both me and the missus got a invite to go to a presantation they went straight into the bin

Schtoo
1st March 2007, 12:53 AM
One word.

Ipod.

And then you get to eat while listening to something worthwhile, like maybe William Shatner reciting the old testament or something similarly entertaining... :2tsup:

Clinton1
1st March 2007, 01:26 AM
Gawwwwnnn, give it a go.... when you introduce yourself, say you are thinking of setting up a course in becoming a powerseller on ebay, and you've come to the seminar to do market research.

pawnhead
1st March 2007, 01:51 AM
I got a free meal and gift offer recently from a company called Wenatex (http://kittycat-black.livejournal.com/151929.html), and I was going to go just for the free meal, but in the end I didn't bother. They wouldn't have gotten $6,000 out of me for one of their beds that's for sure. I was going to post an offer for my tickets here as well but I didn't get around to it.

So has anyone ever heard of http://www.ecomtrainers.com/en/You'd probably get a free meal and an organiser, but whether it's worth it is another matter. You wouldn't want to go if you were a sucker.

Company
Storesonline, Ecomtrainers.com
Address:
16300Christensen Rd, Suite 217
Orem Utah
U.S.A.
Phone Number:
800-4414990
Fax:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff149341.htm
Here's what the ACT Office of Fair Trading has to say about Storesonline, AKA eComTrainers.com : -
http://www.fairtrading.act.gov.au/Media%20Releases/Storesonline.pdf (http://www.fairtrading.act.gov.au/Media%20Releases/Storesonline.pdf)