PDA

View Full Version : Indian rosewood hollow form

Flaco
2nd March 2007, 07:56 AM
Just finished applying the first coat of danish to this vessel that was rough turned from a green log a month ago, bathed in soap solotion for a week. It musures 19" in diamter.
Comments are welcome .

TTIT
2nd March 2007, 09:02 AM
Striking piece Flaco! Very nice :2tsup:

Out of curiosity, how thick did you leave the roughed piece for something that size?????

WillyInBris
2nd March 2007, 12:00 PM
Very nice indeed,

Can you share with me the makeup of the soup you used?

Thanks Willy

joe greiner
2nd March 2007, 01:52 PM
Most good, Flaco. I like the wee step at the rim as an accent. How large is the inside diameter? Seems a funny place to store a spare chainsaw chain. You don't use it freehand, do you?:rolleyes:

Joe

ss_11000
2nd March 2007, 03:57 PM
top job mate:2tsup: you seem to have some great woods over there:)

TTIT
2nd March 2007, 04:01 PM
............. Seems a funny place to store a spare chainsaw chain. ...........
And I thought I was the only mug that noticed things like that! I was thinking maybe some really serious texturing :o

Flaco
2nd March 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys,
The roughed piece was about 40mm till it dried. Using the soap solution ( 50% water 50% dish washing detergent ) eliminates chackig and movment completely .
Joe , dont undrstand your question the vesele is now 5mm wall thikness all over.Except for the wee step at the rim (8mm ) and the base with the recess (10mm) the max diamter is 480mm th hight is 170mm the opening is 23 mm .

Cliff Rogers
2nd March 2007, 04:37 PM
Nice piece. :2tsup:

BernieP
2nd March 2007, 08:10 PM
G'Day Flaco

Very nice lovely figuring and finish

Cheers
Bernie

joe greiner
2nd March 2007, 11:08 PM
Joe , dont undrstand your question the vesele is now 5mm wall thikness all over.Except for the wee step at the rim (8mm ) and the base with the recess (10mm) the max diamter is 480mm th hight is 170mm the opening is 23 mm .

Sorry, Flaco. I guess I didn't express my question very well. I thought the height at the outside was too short to reach all the way to 470mm inside diameter; apparently high enough as you imply.

Joe

Cliff Rogers
3rd March 2007, 11:10 AM
.. I guess I didn't express my question very well. ..
He may not have understood the question about the chain saw chain being used freehand. :wink:

Evan Pavlidis
4th March 2007, 03:58 AM
That's a gem Flaco...well done:2tsup:

Flaco
4th March 2007, 05:20 PM
He may not have understood the question about the chain saw chain being used freehand. :wink:

Not responding dosnt mean not understanding Cliff :doh: It's just that there is no serious explanation for the location of the spare chain and .... NO !! I do not use the chain freehand any more. Last time I did it, my chain saw was so offended ...it did not speak to me for a week !!:U

Cliff Rogers
5th March 2007, 09:20 AM
:D :2tsup:

Gil Jones
5th March 2007, 11:03 AM
Nice form, and lovely wood:welldone:

Gino
8th March 2007, 11:16 PM
excellent work Flaco.
the wood looks similar to Australian blackwood.

If I understood you correctly you soaked the wood in soap and water to stop it cracking??

But wouldn't it crack anyway after the wood drys up again??

regards

Gino

Flaco
9th March 2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks Gino,
I use Australian blackwood as well ( Blackwood acacia ), this wood is more to brown shades then the blackwood.
Tha "Soap soulotion" eliminates cracking during the drying process.
I brin you the scientific explanation I copied from an article by Leif O. Thorvaldson
" The soap solution sets up an osmotic gradient. Pure water in the wood is in more abundance than water in the soap solution, so it (the water) tries to migrate to balance the osmotic pressure. This would cause the specific gravity of the soap solution to decrease (although possibly not noticeably.) On the other hand, the concentration of soapy stuff is higher outside the wood than in, so it tries to migrate into the wood. If it is successful in migrating into the cells, the soapy solids will get trapped as the wood dries, preventing the cells from collapsing as they do when wood dries naturally (or unnaturally for that matter.) "

Guy

Gino
9th March 2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Flaco.

really appriciate you taking the time to explain it to me.

regards

Gino:o

OGYT
12th March 2007, 04:05 AM
Gino, I've been out of pocket for a few days, so I haven't posted much.
I'd like to add just a bit to Guy's explanation of the soap solution.
It's a mixture of 50% dish washing soap, and 50% water.
Works very well for me, too.
Oh yeah, if you get the clear stuff you won't stain your timber.

Gino
13th March 2007, 06:46 AM
Thankyou to you too Al.

For the benifit of others I did a search under the name which Flaco gave and there is an article on the web by this person. Haven't read it in full yet but i've saved it for a bit of bed time reading.

regards

Gino

hughie
13th March 2007, 08:09 PM
[For the benefit of others I did a search under the name which Flaco gave and there is an article on the web by this person. Haven't read it in full yet but i've saved it for a bit of bed time reading.

Gino, Heres the originator of the soap idea

http://www.ronkent.com/

paul collins
14th March 2007, 03:15 PM
very nice work flaco.i like it,striking wood there.:2tsup:

tashammer
16th March 2007, 09:56 AM
definitely what he said ^

wood can be so hypnotic, don't you think?