PDA

View Full Version : Feb Pen Swap Pics

Terry B
2nd March 2007, 11:03 PM
I haven't found anyones pics yet so here is my start. I have been busy in the evenings so only one has been made. I have also had a go at a bullet click pen and it seems to work.
The bigger pen is Skews wood. I think it is his mystery oak with myrtle extra bits. The theme of "organic" is difficult. I just felt organic is smooth and flowing and this was the aim.
The bullet pen is rosewood from a door jam taken out of my brothers house. Amazing the wood that has been used in construction and painted over. His house is in Wauchope and rain forrest timber was readily available at the time.

dai sensei
2nd March 2007, 11:09 PM
Hmm, that reminds me.

Nice pens Terry,that mistery oak has some nice feature to it. Your extra bits show it off well.

lubbing5cherubs
3rd March 2007, 12:40 AM
oops these slipped my mind. I get them done over the weekend. sorry
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd March 2007, 01:01 AM
:oo: Would you believe, I also forgot? Well... lost track of time, actually. :-

Just realised I haven't posted the pic of last month's 2nd pen, either. As my aunt used to say with an 'orrified look on her face: "Oh deary, deary me!" :doh:

lubbing5cherubs
3rd March 2007, 01:07 AM
february the shortness of the month caught both of us out. Feel better now. :D
Toni

Humber
3rd March 2007, 12:22 PM
Nice work Terry,
You certainly got a better finish on the 'mystery' timber than I did.
I have taken photo's of my efforts, which I have saved onto my hard drive, but I don't know how to bring them as thumbnails from the hard drive into this thread. Would one of you technologically accomplished wizards be able to advise please???
Regards
Humber

DJ’s Timber
3rd March 2007, 12:49 PM
Nice work Terry,
You certainly got a better finish on the 'mystery' timber than I did.
I have taken photo's of my efforts, which I have saved onto my hard drive, but I don't know how to bring them as thumbnails from the hard drive into this thread. Would one of you technologically accomplished wizards be able to advise please???
Regards
Humber

Have a look here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=36666) Humber, I use the MS resizer.

You need to reduce the size of the photo to 100kb or less before your can post a picture. You can use the "Manage Attachments" button in the "Additional Options" below the reply to thread window.

Humber
3rd March 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks very much DJ, will give it a go now.
Cheers

Humber
3rd March 2007, 02:23 PM
Well I've shrunk the photo file and compressed it (I think???) so I'll try to attach it now and see how I go.

:doh: :doh:

ss_11000
3rd March 2007, 03:08 PM
nice pens guys:)

lubbing5cherubs
3rd March 2007, 03:10 PM
Nice pens
Toni

Terry B
3rd March 2007, 06:57 PM
Well I've shrunk the photo file and compressed it (I think???) so I'll try to attach it now and see how I go.

:doh: :doh:
Nice pens I think. Just a suggestion. You have shrunk the image too much (down to a 15 k file) and it is very pixellated and I can't distinguish the harlequen pen. Try for a happy medium of 60-80 k size when you save it to your hard disk.

Humber
4th March 2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks Guys,
Terry - are these attachments any better???

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2007, 06:17 PM
:2tsup:

Terry B
4th March 2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks Guys,
Terry - are these attachments any better???
Much better and great pens.:2tsup:

BernieP
5th March 2007, 07:04 PM
G'Day All

First one black pencil with oak sliver and campour laurel, second my organic onion shape slimline, third round top thing that after all careful measuring (I thought) find round band fits beautifully on turned step but in my opinion should step up again towards top? What was the heavy red timber Skew, Myrtle?

Cheers
Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2007, 08:10 PM
Yep, Tas. Myrtle. Lovely stuff. :)

T'others were Tas. Blackwood and mystery "Oak." Why does Tassie have all the good woods? :?

Touchwood
5th March 2007, 09:36 PM
February Pens ... time in the kitchen has certainly outweighed shed time this month - the in laws 50th wedding anniversary and I was chief cook ( added compication was the meal was 200 kms away from my kitchen!!) However, all over now ... shed time coming up!:2tsup:

I tried for pebbles with varing degree of angles to get round and oval (with varing degrees of success, only to be informed that stone is not organic - obviously too much time over a hot stove :doh: ) and flower pod shapes!

The Tas blackwood is realy nice - the pic just doesn't capture the sheen.

JD

rodent
5th March 2007, 10:45 PM
Im late Im late my lifes story oh well all the events are over ive got time to scratch my self now time to do some turning . It's been a busy moth with club events and all (hey skew ) time to do my thing . ILL start glueing up to tonight . Touchwood just say they were meant to represent the moon (sounds different any how).

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th March 2007, 11:24 PM
Touchwood just say they were meant to represent the moon (sounds different any how).

Isn't the moon just a big rock? :D

I started gluing up tonight too, but I really have no idea what I'm doing. I should've given it more thought... :rolleyes:

Simomatra
6th March 2007, 04:03 PM
At least you are all in front of me this time I am the tail end Charlie Will have to get a leg on next week when I get home Nice pens so far

Humber
6th March 2007, 07:46 PM
Beautiful pens Bernie and Touchwood.
Every time I see a different shape or idea for combining different timbers, I want to rush out to the shed and play - this is not a bad thing I assure the wife - but does it mean I'm hooked???

old dog
6th March 2007, 09:49 PM
l must agree they look real good.:wink::2tsup:

dai sensei
8th March 2007, 02:32 PM
Well here are mine. Made in a hurry I'm afraid, too many things on the go at the moment. I decided to burn leaves on the Tas Myrtle to keep with the organic theme, but in a hurry it turned out a bit like crap :doh: , apart from my lousy artwork, the CA/Glow finish started to separate at the tip. Crap's Ok though, it's organic too :roll:.

The other pen is the tas blackwood, but also made in a hurry with just Shellewax/Glow finish.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2007, 06:09 PM
Finally got around to it. :-

Also did the 2nd pen from Jan (the burl) but it self-destructed. I had finished it in time, but when it came time to post I saw that Touchwood (I think) had used exactly the same kit and mine looked like it's twin. So I finally got around to disassembling/returning for a Parker Fountain Pen kit, when.... BOOM! during the polish. Not a happy chappy. :(

Touchwood
10th March 2007, 10:31 PM
So Skew, maybe looking the same is better than 'not looking' at all :D I'm sorry that it went boom all the same..

.... strange thing though ... while making my oganic pens I cut and glued up 4 others, and they look alot like your organic style ... how's that for spooky!!!!

I do like the two woods cut with curves and re glued.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th March 2007, 10:39 PM
So Skew, maybe looking the same is better than 'not looking' at all :D I'm sorry that it went boom all the same..

True. A bird in the hand and all that. But my fragile male ego couldn't take it. :wink:

.... strange thing though ... while making my oganic pens I cut and glued up 4 others, and they look alot like your organic style ... how's that for spooky!!!!

Two in a row? :oo: I guess that just proves that you have good taste. :D

I do like the two woods cut with curves and re glued.

They were s'posed to be leaves, but at the time of glue-up I couldn't think of any simple way to form the tips into a point. After drilling I realised I could've simply cut a wedge out and reglued, also making a "stem" at the same time. Ah well... c'est la vie. I blame the heat. :rolleyes:

Instead, I ended up with a peanut pen! Wish I could take credit for planning it that way...

(Waiting for someone to comment on the wasp-waisted one, knowing that I've posted several times that I really don't like that shape! :D)

Simomatra
11th March 2007, 10:00 AM
Looking good Skew

Will finally get on to mine sometime this week Got lots of house chores to catch up on as well as the pen making

DJ’s Timber
11th March 2007, 10:09 AM
(Waiting for someone to comment on the wasp-waisted one, knowing that I've posted several times that I really don't like that shape! :D)

Didn't want to bruise your fragile male ego :C :doh:, anyway Toni will probably be along shortly and have something to say about that :roll:

old dog
11th March 2007, 10:28 AM
well done your pens look great:2tsup:

Fireman sam
11th March 2007, 10:38 AM
Hi all
Here is my pens for feb :2tsup:
Andrew

Humber
11th March 2007, 07:43 PM
Hey guys,
Andrew, Skew etc., You have all made very nice pens. Makes me jealous.

Simomatra
13th March 2007, 06:56 PM
At long last

Here is my first of the February pens

I think this is the tas myrtle. Kit is a cigar from Jim finish CA EEE

This is my first go at someting this fancy. Feels good in the hand

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th March 2007, 07:50 PM
I've never thought about fancy turnings with cigar kits... I may have to revise my thinking now. :wink:

Simomatra
16th March 2007, 09:38 AM
Here my second pen for the month. This was my first at segmenting and I have a lot to learn on this subject. I will have to have a lot of practice before I atempt the March ones

Kit BT401 finish MM EEE and shellawax glow

Sorry about the pic but the pen doesn't warrant a good picture anyway. Enjoyed the learning

Terry B
16th March 2007, 09:44 AM
Nice efforts all:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rodent
3rd June 2007, 02:06 AM
Well the pens been finished for a while but the camera and the other blank went missing .we found the camera the other blanks still mia .well my interpretation of organic .IMG_0175.2.jpg (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=47413&stc=1&d=1180796758)

Simomatra
3rd June 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't think that you the last in

Good stuff Now for March April & May and soon June

BTW whats happening in June??