PDA

View Full Version : Walnut and Spalted Oak Vase

Gil Jones
3rd March 2007, 04:28 AM
A dry flower vase of Walnut, with a top of Spalted Oak.
101.6mm wide by 88.9mm hi [4" wide by 3 1/2" hi].
Sanded to 600, polished with EEE, one coat of lacquer, and buffed.
Not hollowed, just bored down 76.2mm [3"] for dry flowers, or weeds.
Thanks for looking.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd March 2007, 04:58 AM
It may not be the fanciest turning in the world, but that shape and that timber selection has made for one very nice little bud vase! :2tsup:

Where's it's partner? :D A pair of 'em, one to each side of a mantelpiece, would look trés chic.

RufflyRustic
3rd March 2007, 07:55 AM
Very nice Gil!! Must agree with Skew that a pair on the mantle or a lady's dressing table would look very schmic!:2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

hughie
3rd March 2007, 10:41 AM
Gil,

Good choice of timbers, well put to gether. Thats half the battle getting the things to match or go together.

joe greiner
3rd March 2007, 01:14 PM
Great shape and combination, Gil. And, boy, is it ever shiny! Almost didn't find the sides.

[From the time of your post, it's good to see the tornado missed you; I wasn't sure where it went.]

Joe

dai sensei
3rd March 2007, 01:42 PM
Love your work Gil. This one is a simple but elegant design with a beautiful finish.

ss_11000
3rd March 2007, 02:16 PM
what they said...another brilliant peice from you:)

Cliff Rogers
3rd March 2007, 03:34 PM
What a good idea for using up little bits of timber too good to chuck out. :2tsup:

Gil Jones
3rd March 2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words, y'all:)
Wendy, do tell, what is "schmic"?
Joe, the tornado missed Bunny and I by a good 55 miles north, but it was very gusty here last night.
It is not very glossy; more like satiny smooth.
Guess I will need to turn another.

BernieP
3rd March 2007, 06:35 PM
G'Day Gil

Very nice, thinking if it had a cork could keep a genie in it:D

Cheers
Bernie

Rum Pig
4th March 2007, 12:45 AM
I like it a lot Gil some times simple shapes speak the loudest (hope you know what I mean):D
I really like dark and light timber together:2tsup:

I do agree with Skew that a pair would look fantastic :rolleyes:

Glad that Joe missed you But on a brighter side to a natural disaster there must be a bit of fallen timber from Joe begging to be turned?????

Cheers Justin:drink2:

rodent
4th March 2007, 12:49 AM
Nice turning the light timber on top lifts the piece .Whats with the fancy words skew you been at the dictionary again .:o

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th March 2007, 01:03 AM
Nice turning the light timber on top lifts the piece .Whats with the fancy words skew you been at the dictionary again .:o

Sorry. The persona slipped. Must be the medication wearing off. :wink:

joe greiner
4th March 2007, 01:56 AM
[QUOTE=Rum Pig;472889]Glad that Joe missed you But on a brighter side to a natural disaster there must be a bit of fallen timber from Joe begging to be turned?????QUOTE]

Whoa! We don't name tornadoes here. Just hurricanes. With hurricanes, we get a few days warning. With tornadoes, a few minutes.

Joe