PDA

View Full Version : Small Seppo shed tour

Honorary Bloke
3rd March 2007, 09:36 AM
Well, while everyone is having a smoko at 's, I thought I'd sneak in a few pics of my wee shed. The shed measures about 4.5M by 8.5M. :(

Pic 1 is viewing front on. The small table in front is my sheet goods cutting table I banged together from 4X2s and banquet table legs. Pocket screws and no glue, so replacing pieces is easy peasey if they get too tired.

Pic 2 shows my brilliant Triton Superjaws and behind my assembly table (with Rotex on board). The table is made from Norm's NYW plan--torsion box with MDF top. On wheels for easy mobility. Made to act as an outfeed table when required.

Pic 3 is my clamp rack (need more clamps! :(( ), also mobile, and the DeWalt SCMS and stand. A couple of storage shelves for odds and sods.

Pic 4 shows the router table (Rockler top, shop-made stand) CT22, PC compressor, and GMC drill press. PC892 router in the table. That is a Festo OF1000 in the systainer underneath, used for hand routing. Can barely see the GMC DC bag in lower left. Moves between the TS and router table.

Pic 5 Hitachi contractor-grade TS with Incra Mitre3000 and Incra sled.

Here and there and piled around are all the portable power tools and nailers. Bosch hand-planer, PC biscuit joiner (for sale, cheap :D ), a huge Milwaukee hammer drill when serious holes are needed.

Notice, no jointer, thicknesser or bandsaw. :( I am edge-jointing using shims on the router table, which works pretty well. Thicknessing with the Bosch planer, which is hit or miss. Bosch jig saw for cutting curved pieces.

Next major tool: Domino. Due to arrive in less than a month now. :) After that, a thicknesser, but running out of room. I have a largish tile saw and a small finishing station in the actual garage attached to the house (Shed Annexe). All cars park outside at all times. :D

I know it's a mess. :- Thanks for looking.

Gumby
3rd March 2007, 09:41 AM
I'd remove the pics before we ban you from the forums for being way too neat and clean.

:D

Any chance of a video ?

Honorary Bloke
3rd March 2007, 09:47 AM
I'd remove the pics before we ban you from the forums for being way too neat and clean.

:D

Any chance of a video ?

Yes. Actually I had planned a video but my camera (old tape technology) bit the dust. I will do a video as soon as I replace it. No interlude, however. :D

DJ’s Timber
3rd March 2007, 10:07 AM
Looks like a well organized cluttered workshop :q

jmk89
3rd March 2007, 10:32 AM
I agree - looks like a really good 'shop (I wish I had that much room) - the 'mess' is the consequence of it being used...

Workshops are like desks - a clean one is the sign of a sick mind:D :D

Cliff Rogers
3rd March 2007, 10:48 AM
I'm with Gumby on this... where's the bloody sawdust, cobwebs, dead mouse, paint/oil stains & piles of little off cuts? :? :D

Very tidy little outfit, I would NOT fit into it or in with it. :rolleyes:

Up here, (down here for you Bob) we would be VERY nervous about that overhanging branch.... it wouldn't last 5 minutes before it was whipped off & turned into something more useful than a potential hole in the roof. :D

What do you think of you Dewalt SCMS?
Bunnies in Cairns has a couple of 12" ones for $1100 & something maybe $1149 or $1189.
They have one out on display next to a Makita 10".
They are big but they look good.

Bleedin Thumb
3rd March 2007, 10:56 AM
Exactly how small are you Bob?????

Its hard to get any sense of scale from the photos, are we talking Hobbit size here or just plain short ass?:D

TassieKiwi
3rd March 2007, 01:26 PM
I like it Bob!

joe greiner
3rd March 2007, 01:40 PM
Entirely too clean!:(( Totally unacceptable!:(( And you have nowhere near enough clamps. Nice to see a few things on wheels, though. And a desk! With drawers! You've got a bunch of bowls and vases in that branch, too. Now you need a lathe.

Joe

RufflyRustic
3rd March 2007, 02:02 PM
Very nice setup Bob! :2tsup: That trundle table is great. I based my old outdoor workbench after seeing that episode of Norm's show, except I didn't put wheels on mine.

cheers
Wendy

Clinton1
3rd March 2007, 06:58 PM
Maybe the dead mouse is in his hearing protection. :D :D :D

Nice Festo gear.... do you have the ROS?

Harry72
3rd March 2007, 07:20 PM
Nice workshop Bob, dont worry about the "to clean" comments they're just jealous!

JDarvall
3rd March 2007, 07:46 PM
What a groovy little shed Bob. Eying off that Dewalt saw of yours I am.

Honorary Bloke
3rd March 2007, 11:21 PM
Up here, (down here for you Bob) we would be VERY nervous about that overhanging branch.... it wouldn't last 5 minutes before it was whipped off & turned into something more useful than a potential hole in the roof. :D

What do you think of you Dewalt SCMS?
Bunnies in Cairns has a couple of 12" ones for $1100 & something maybe $1149 or $1189.
They have one out on display next to a Makita 10".
They are big but they look good.

No worries about the branch. It is actually well away from the shed, it's just the camera perspective. That is a maple tree, BTW.

The DeWalt SCMS is very solid (Model 708). But I'm told the new ones (with side-by-side rails rather than over-and-under) are somewhat less solid. :(

Very nice setup Bob! :2tsup: That trundle table is great. I based my old outdoor workbench after seeing that episode of Norm's show, except I didn't put wheels on mine.

cheers
Wendy

Thanks Wendy. The wheels work a treat for moving around in that small space. Then, just pull the ropes on each end to retract the wheels, lift up on each end to let them down again. :)

Nice Festo gear.... do you have the ROS?

That is a Rotex 150 lying on the assembly table. I currently have only the Rotex, OF1000 router and CT22 vac. Domi will be here soon. :D

Thanks everyone for looking. :)

Honorary Bloke
3rd March 2007, 11:24 PM
Exactly how small are you Bob?????

Its hard to get any sense of scale from the photos, are we talking Hobbit size here or just plain short ass?:D

Now Bleedin', purposely ambiguous. It is either a small Seppo, a small shed or a small tour. Pick one (or two). :D Without drawing any comparisons to other forumites, let us say that I am not a small Seppo. :p

fred.n
3rd March 2007, 11:44 PM
Very nice setup Bob:2tsup:

Scribbly Gum
4th March 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for taking the time to photograph, and for sharing your shed pix with us Bob.

I really appreciate seeing the layout of other woodie's sheds, and of course there is the obligatory drool over everyone else's tool . I like to call it Tool Drool!
Have picked up lots of great ideas for my own shed this way.
Now if I could only get it that neat !!!!!
Regards
SG:roll::roll::roll:

Rocker
4th March 2007, 09:13 PM
Bob,

I would be wary of selling your biscuit joiner just yet. I think there are still some instances where it may still be useful.

Rocker

Bad Woodworker
4th March 2007, 09:18 PM
That's a great set up and about three times the size of my space.:-:2tsup:

Wongo
4th March 2007, 09:57 PM
Those K-body clamps are huge. What are they? K-500?

Sorry I need to have a little lie down.:-

Honorary Bloke
4th March 2007, 11:23 PM
Those K-body clamps are huge. What are they? K-500?

Sorry I need to have a little lie down.:-

Wongo, two of them are 60 inches long (5 feet!). Four are 40 inches long. :D

Honorary Bloke
4th March 2007, 11:27 PM
Bob,

I would be wary of selling your biscuit joiner just yet. I think there are still some instances where it may still be useful.

Rocker

You are right. Actually I'm just kidding about selling it--I never met a tool yet that I could bear to part with later on. :rolleyes: :D

(Anyone interested in a Crain professional undercutting saw? Only used to undercut 8 door jambs for floating flooring, but I might need it again some day!)

black1
11th March 2007, 01:07 AM
Well, while everyone is having a smoko at 's, I thought I'd sneak in a few pics of my wee shed. The shed measures about 4.5M by 8.5M.

look a seppo talking in metric eeekk:oo:

nice shed though:2tsup: :wtg:
ps: do you work in metric or that other silly stuff?:cool:

Lignum
11th March 2007, 01:15 AM
Bob,

Rocker

And they are? :rolleyes:

And Bob, i love your work space:2tsup: It will look even beter in a few weeks :wink:

Honorary Bloke
11th March 2007, 01:16 AM
ps: do you work in metric or that other silly stuff?:cool:

Mostly in that other silly stuff. :) But, I'm slowly changing over. :wink:

Lignum
11th March 2007, 01:35 AM
Bob, your shed needs this :wink:

Honorary Bloke
11th March 2007, 01:52 AM
Bob, your shed needs this :wink:

A wooden work table? :rolleyes:

(20 more days and counting. :( )

Rocker
17th March 2007, 04:37 PM
Rocker: There are some instances where a biscuit joiner can still be useful.

And they are? :rolleyes:

Lignum,

An instance which springs to mind is when building a cabinet such as the one described in these threads:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13836&highlight=cabinet

and

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=13548

where the top is joined to the sides with biscuit-reinforced mitre joints. The Domino cannot mill a mortice closer than 10 mm from the inner corner of a mitre, unless you fiddle around with using a spacer. I believe that biscuits are more suitable for reinforcing this type of mitre joint than dominoes.

Rocker