PDA

View Full Version : help with seasoning

gavin e
3rd March 2007, 11:28 PM
I've just been given five 5ft x 10inch logs of holly, which came down in the recent high winds. How long should i leave it before having a go at turning some?

Can i turn it green or will it just split at a later date?

Should i seal the ends with wax and leave it under the workshop to dry for a few months (years?) in log form, or should i cut it into smaler pieces first?

Please help!

Gavin e

hughie
4th March 2007, 12:08 AM
Gavin it kinda depends on what type of timber you've got. Down under we have a variety and they all react differently as they dry out.

As for logs best split em down the centre and take out the pith. Then cut em up into bowl size lengths....if your doing bowls, add a inch or 2 to the ends. Then seal the end grain store away from the sun and wind.

Turning green is OK to but The type and how it reacts when drying needs to be taken into account.
If I turn green the rough out is soaked in a mixture of 50/50 dish washing soap and water.

With Camphor Laurel I use meths to soak in for about 3-4 days dry and finish turn. The rough out is much closer to the finished size when I use meths.

Do a search of the forum for seasoning, drying timber and you will pull up allot of info