PDA

View Full Version : The cost of concert tickets

Bleedin Thumb
5th March 2007, 12:33 PM
I thought I might take the wife out to go and see Herbie Hancock play at the State.

The cheapest tickets are $100! so that's $200. Parking $18 babysitter $70 food and drinks $100 fuel and tolls $20

So over $400 to see a bloke play the piano:D OK he's pretty good but he should be playing a small intimate smoke fill basement.......minus the smoke:) .

You can buy a lot of Cds' for $400

Ah... thats better, its quite cathartic having a whinge isn't it? Now all I have to do is get SWMBO to give me some money so I can take her out!

Howdya do that
5th March 2007, 01:03 PM
My turn:D
Add $200 per person for airfares, $180 for accomodation and we still ended up seeing more on the big screen thean from the seats we had:((

I feel better now:wink:

silentC
5th March 2007, 01:09 PM
What's the biggest rip-off concert you've ever seen?

David Bowie Glass Spider tour at the Entertainment Centre Sydney. Unless you had seats directly opposite the stage, you couldn't see a thing because of the set. I saw him in person once or twice when he came right out to the front of the stage. The rest of the time I watched it on the screen.

Howdya do that
5th March 2007, 01:17 PM
What's the biggest rip-off concert you've ever seen?

David Bowie Glass Spider tour at the Entertainment Centre Sydney. Unless you had seats directly opposite the stage, you couldn't see a thing because of the set. I saw him in person once or twice when he came right out to the front of the stage. The rest of the time I watched it on the screen.

Eric Clapton for the same reason as above

Elton John & Billy Joel at the MCG, the moon looked like it was closer

Bleedin Thumb
5th March 2007, 02:15 PM
I can't actually remember leaving a concert and feeling really peeved, the slightly less underwhelmed ones that come to mind:
1. Bowie Serious Moonlight tour at the SCG. the first and last stadium rock concert to get my money. The PA wasn't up to his strained voice.
2. Lou Reed - an Evening With LR - Circus act, amusing night but it wasn't meant to be.
3. Joe Cocker - Townsville Show grounds? he passed out after the first number because he was so drunk, so we sat around and got equally drunk, quite a good night from what I can remember.

silentC
5th March 2007, 02:22 PM
Sting was boring, nearly went to sleep.
The Cure were woeful. Out of tune, boring to watch.

One of the best was John Cougar Mellencamp, believe it or not. That Kenny Aronoff is an awesome drummer. I saw him lose a stick, it went straight up in the air, must've gone at least 10 metres or more, he had another one out of the stick bag, without missing a beat, before the one he'd let go of started it's downward arc.

Even went to see Kiss!! That was a good show, especially when the cherry picker Paul Stanley and Ace Frehley were on broke down out over the crowd.

Roger Waters was good too but the Floyd stuff was not the same without Dave Gilmour.

Bleedin Thumb
5th March 2007, 02:35 PM
I think the best for me would have to be the Flying Pickets at the Enmore and they didn't have any instruments (a cappalla).
Guy Clark at the Basement was special as was Gill Scott Heron at the Metro.

Silent I went to the after party for a Cure concert some time in the eigties at the promoters house or some socialite's place and they spent the entire time in a bedroom hovering over a mirror. When Mr Smith did appear he wasn't able to utter much.

rrich
6th March 2007, 03:49 PM
If you happen to visit the Eastern US, near Washington D.C. there is "Wolf Trap" in Northern Virginia. A superb small concert site. Every seat has a good view as does the lawn seating. Prices are very reasonable. (Although the Dom Perignon was over priced at the snack bar.) This year's season has already started but the best times are late Spring through early Fall. (Mid May through early October in the wrong hemisphere)

One year I was commuting between Los Angeles and Washington D.C. for my company (Biweekly) and I got to see Bethoven's Fifth (National Philharmonic), Carmen (NYC Opera Co.) and Ray Charles. It was quite a summer and tickets were only about double that of a good first run flick.