PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Blacksmiths

Groggy
5th March 2007, 08:10 PM
Information provided by soatoz

Chiyozuru Korehide: 1875~1957. Revered as genius blacksmith. He charged 100 times more than other blacksmiths for his tools but spent 200 times more effort, so he was never rich. Rented and lived in a small chicken shack that was reformed into a small room. His tools are either used up and gone or in a perfect unused condition kept by collectors. His master was Ishidoh Korekazu Toshinaga, great grandfather of Ishidoh Hideo who has just passed away.

Chiyozuru Sadahide (Kanki Yoshiroh, and his son Iwao): Famous plane maker from Miki. Kanki admired Chiyozuru Korehide so much that he was finally given the name Chiyozuru Sadahide from the great master, but has less connection to Korehide's technique and style. Now his son Sadahide II is creating great tools. Sadahide's planes are renowned for its beautiful decorative finish.

Hasegawa Kouzaburou: Considered as the god of hammersmith, from Sanjyo, Niigata. Master of Doushin-sai Masayuki another famous hammersmith who is still producing masterpiece hammers. Kouzaburou was shocked when he saw Chiyozuru's tools when he went to Tokyo for the first time. He was particularly impressed by Chiyozuru's outstanding workmanship of the hammers, and thus decided to concentrate just on hammers and hopefully surpass Chiyozuru's artistic quality.

Hidari Ichihiro (Yamazaki Shouzoh): The most revered modern chisel maker, from Nakano city in Tokyo. The 3rd generation Yamazaki Shouzou has just passed away, and there is no successor taking after him. Originally they called themselves Ichihiro, but some unknown chisel maker registered the name and started selling fake Ichihiro chisel. Being unable to use Ichihiro for their brand name, Mr. Yamazaki added "Hidari (left)" and flipped around the Kanji (Chinese characters) for Ichihiro for his branding stamp. Specializes in White steel #1.

Ishidoh: One of the most revered plane blade maker from Tokyo (has recently relocated to Tochigi prefecture next to Tokyo.) Ishidoh family has been a retained swordsmith for the Shogun since Edo period. They turned tool blacksmith after the Meiji government banning sword making in 1868. Now the 16th generation, Ishidoh Yoshitaka has been helping his father for 20 yrs and is gradually starting to sell HIS tools after his father's recent death.

Mosaku (Kanda Kikuo): One of the rare Tokyo blacksmith who is still in production. He focuses on making the highest quality planes with various artistic patterns on the blade. One of the tools that makes the tool fanatics froth. Also very famous among Kezrou-kai members as well.

Tasai (father & son): Tasai Akio and his son Michio is a renowned chisel maker from Sanjyo city in Niigata prefecture. Their "mokume-shiage (woodgrain finish)" chisel is well known even out side of Japan. The steel they use is quite unique. It is Blue steel #1.5, a specially ordered steel from Yasuki steel company. Although they use Blue steel, their tools are easier to sharpen because of their special hardening process.

Usui Kengo: Born in 1928. One of the most revered plane blade makers from Yoita city next to Sanjyo. Usui specializes in making high quality planes that are made of his original steels. He uses various alloys as well as carbon steels. "Kenmei" is one of the most famous planes in Japan which uses a special kind of Super blue steel haut coutured by Yasuki steel co.

Yokoyama Kunio: The only remaining blacksmith who can forge tools from Tougou-reigou steel. Old fashioned type of blacksmith, with a one of a kind attitude (but basically very kind.) When he doesn't like his customer, he doesn't sell his tools. And he doesn't like MANY customers (sigh...) so he is very poor. Definitely one of the best blacksmith from Japan. In my personal opinion he is THE best.

Jim Blauvelt
28th June 2007, 09:32 AM
Great info!
Jim

hybridfiat
19th December 2007, 11:46 PM
Has anyone heard of Yamawaku who lives and works in in Sanjyo Niigata. He is a 2nd or 3rd generation smith who uses old anchor chain and cast fitting from the 19th century to forge folded steel knives and plane blades.

soatoz
31st January 2008, 04:22 PM
Has anyone heard of Yamawaku who lives and works in in Sanjyo Niigata. He is a 2nd or 3rd generation smith who uses old anchor chain and cast fitting from the 19th century to forge folded steel knives and plane blades.

Hi,

Hmm, I thought I was basically familiar with all Sanjo blacksmiths but I haven't heard of Yamawaku-san....

Every blacksmith uses old anchor chains and cast fitting from the 19th century by the way(^^)

macpiper
11th February 2008, 07:58 AM
hi all, i was wondering if anyone knows of a chisel maker that goes by:

千虎 or 干虎

if those don't show up, the kanji looks like sen (1,000) or hosu (to dry up) followed by tora (tiger)

so....
chidora/chitora or
sendora/sentora or
kandora/kantora ?????

or are these mass-produced chisels?

thanks!

soatoz
11th February 2008, 03:34 PM
hi all, i was wondering if anyone knows of a chisel maker that goes by:

千虎 or 干虎

if those don't show up, the kanji looks like sen (1,000) or hosu (to dry up) followed by tora (tiger)

so....
chidora/chitora or
sendora/sentora or
kandora/kantora ?????

or are these mass-produced chisels?

thanks!

Hmm, that's thousand tigers (probably sen-ko) alright, and probably wholesaler brand. Can't tell if they are mass produced or not without the photos.

Thanks

macpiper
11th February 2008, 07:05 PM
the chisel (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23648324@N05/2256752641/)

not mine, but i borrowed it from a local shop i massacre wood at so i could practice sharpening and flattening. the chisel was in bad shape when i got it...well it's not in great shape now, but it is definately in better shape. any ideas if it is mass produced? or one of those lost gems....i'm assuming the former.

soatoz
12th February 2008, 03:56 PM
the chisel (http://www.flickr.com/photos/23648324@N05/2256752641/)

not mine, but i borrowed it from a local shop i massacre wood at so i could practice sharpening and flattening. the chisel was in bad shape when i got it...well it's not in great shape now, but it is definately in better shape. any ideas if it is mass produced? or one of those lost gems....i'm assuming the former.

Hi, I need to see the lamination line and the back hollow as well (if there's any left...), also better if you could show me the whole ghing as well.

Thanks

Clinton1
12th February 2008, 04:15 PM
So,
Do you have any info on Kunikei? :2tsup:

macpiper
12th February 2008, 05:56 PM
the new photos have been uploaded to the same link as above. let me know if this is not what you need.

wilburpan
13th February 2008, 12:44 PM
Here's some info on Kunikei (http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/tech_knlg/blacksmith/Kunikei/Kunikei.html), from So's website.

antonio_luiz
12th February 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi,

Hmm, I thought I was basically familiar with all Sanjo blacksmiths but I haven't heard of Yamawaku-san....

Every blacksmith uses old anchor chains and cast fitting from the 19th century by the way(^^)

Yes I know this is an old thread - been a while since I've been to WWF OK :cool:

I bought one of his hand forged san mai nakiris about a year ago and it has become one of my favourite kitchen knives. :2tsup:

Have since ordered another 2 nakiris and a gyuto - even been tempted to get a couple of his santokus even though I dislike that style intensely

He could be making the cladding out of old anchor chains or even crab pots for all I care - whatever he uses for the cladding it sure resists rust. What really matters to me is that the cutting edge is made from Takefu V2 and while this will rust if you aren't rigorous on blade maintenance -it takes and holds a really fine edge as well as being a great cutting steel (not all steels cut the same).

Haven't seen any of his woodworking tools recently - he still makes some utility knives but seems to be focussing on kitchen knives which are gaining a reputation for perfoming well above their selling price. Pity they're not readily available in larger sizes as this would take them out of the home kitchen and into the professional arena

ObairLaimhe
23rd October 2011, 10:51 PM
Hello, I am fairly new to the world of Japanese tools.. however I have been using some very used chisels and kanna from ebay for some time. So I feel that I am ready to treat myself to some new tools that actually have substantial hollows.. or are not cracked (as my kanna blade is.. but it still works BTW)..
I am curious though about some other blacksmiths that are not listed here. I am considering a purchase of Yamahiro chisels. I am of the opinion that completely hand-made (without power equipment) is something that I value in my own work and so wish to find blacksmiths that operate in the same manner. So I would love to see some descriptions of the working method of blacksmiths.. Yamahiro, Tsunesaburo, Funihiro, Fujihiro, Ouchie, Nishiki, Iyoroi, Miyanaga, Matsumura.. to name a few.

Schtoo
24th October 2011, 05:53 PM
, Tsunesaburo, Funihiro, Fujihiro, Ouchie, Nishiki, Iyoroi, Miyanaga, Matsumura.. to name a few.

Yamahiro, not sure.

Tsunesaburo, google 'Tsunesaburo plane' and click 'road trip' for a few pictures and explanations. (Caveat; This is my blog.)

Funihiro, not sure.

Ouchi, Ouchi website (http://kajiya.nobody.jp/). click around and you'll turn up plenty of info and video.

Nishiki, not sure.

Iyoroi, mostly power and I'm not interested to be honest.

Miyanaga, no info on the internet that I know of, I'll ask him in a couple weeks if you want me to.

Matsumura, who knows? Information here in Japan about them is virtually non existent and I can only buy their chisels from a single obscure online store. Never been really tempted to be honest. I do have one possible address in a blacksmith's listing for the Sanjo area, but considering how easy nearly any other maker is to find, and how difficult it is to find any information about these, one has to wonder.

Believe me, there's 100 times more info about Matsumura in English than in Japanese, and that quite frankly scares me.

To be completely honest, you are unlikely to find a 'completely hand made Japanese tool' unless it has the special little sticker on it, certifying it was made by traditional methods. That little sticker is difficult to get, and adds to the price of anything with it on it. It's also tightly controlled, and that's the ONLY way to be sure for anyone outside of Japan to get a genuine, fully hand made tool.

Otherwise, it'll all be done with power hammers and power blowers on forges, power grinders and stamping machines.

Sorry if that bursts your bubble a little, but that's just how it is.

Stu.

Who's off to see half the folks in your list in a couple weeks and plenty that are not on your list too. Expecting a big handshake from Mr. Uozumi Snr. at Tsunesaburo after what I sent him this morning too... ;)

ObairLaimhe
26th October 2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the info.. yeah it's a modern world. I guess that's why I am so into hand made things, archaic ways etc. However I can't let a hang up like that totally block me from doing my work.. I do use electric lights.. oh and computers..(but not in my woodwork!)

Thanks again! If anyone else has some info though I would love to see it!

BTW this is a great forum!

is9582
28th November 2011, 06:48 PM
Stu,

Hope you're well.

I was reading your post, and wondered if it was just an oversight on the Fujihiro, or if that was a "read between the lines" kinda thing. :wink:

I own some Michio Tasai chisels, which seem to work well. Any way you might compare his chisels to his father's?

Best,

Lee

Schtoo
28th November 2011, 11:59 PM
Hi Lee,

If I could find information easily about them, I'd know more about them.

Here's what I do, before trying very hard. I spend 5 minutes scanning google search results, and see what's out there. Punching in 'Fujihiro nomi' results in a smattering of results.

If there's not enough to go looking harder, generally I don't.

Apparently plenty of folks like these chisels, but as they're apparently made 'up north' and I'm 'down south' I'm not likely to be able to get any more information about them until I run into them.

Sorry. I just don't have the time right now to really go chasing wild geese.

(But here's a tip. Most of the makers that are well known outside of Japan tend to be from up north, save Iyoroi, Tsunesaburo and Mitsukawa. The first because they're well known from way back, the second two because they're at the top of their game and have been for a long time.

But there are other folks making tools. And just because they're not so well known outside of Japan, doesn't mean they're not as good (if not better) than those who have an international reputation.

Tasai? Both good, but reverence goes to Akio because he's dad. It's not like there's any secret as to what's going on there, although it seems like dad has a lot of influence there even now, which is unusual. Usually dad teaches son, son gets good enough, dad steps aside but still works leaving everyday things to the son.

Stu.

is9582
29th November 2011, 09:08 AM
Stu,

Gomen Nasai. So sorry, I had no intention of obviously coming across as if I was trying to rag on you. I was just truly interested in your take on the Fujuhiro. A friend had mentioned he tried them and was completely blown away. I was just looking for a comparison, as you seem more locked into the Japanese chisels.

That is interesting about the Tasai scenario. I wasn't aware of that, but somehow makes me wonder if I shot myself in the foot, but getting the Michio's. Guess I'll never no for sure, as I'm not likely to go buy some by Akio, just to compare.

Best,

Lee

D.W.
10th July 2012, 01:02 AM
Three more to add, though maybe I have experience with them because I have gotten them either used or as second-hand unused items.

Ogata - I understand he is popular with some in japan. The iron I have of his is very easy to sharpen, and tastefully made.

Takeo Nakano - a plane I got used (but unused) over here from someone who had bought a togo inukubi plane as a first "trial" plane. Very skillfully executed with a very wide and thin lamination. Another easy to hone plane.

Yamamoto - makes a lot of good quality planes that are not too expensive, as well as more artful and expensive planes. All 3 of the planes I have purchased from him are "special cutting steel", even the very inexpensive ones. They have all been very good, though at that price level they do not match my other more expensive planes in things that don't necessarily make the wood look better, but make the experience more pleasant. Still, at the price of the basic planes, they are really excellent. I have not tried any of his more expensive planes.

(Mosaku was mentioned above, but he is worth of a second mention, my favorite iron is one of mosaku's that someone sold to me here - not new, but unused also. It is so well executed and so tasteful that it makes me nutty looking at it. It is white #1 and incredibly hard).

Bohdan
15th August 2020, 02:57 PM
For those of you that would like to see tool production (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-46Go1DKos) 35 years ago.

In Japanese but still worth a look as the commentary is not recessary.

bueller
15th August 2020, 03:15 PM
Great watch, thanks for sharing. The same channel has a few other videos on Japanese makers as well.

NeilS
23rd August 2020, 03:55 PM
For those of you that would like to see tool production (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-46Go1DKos) 35 years ago.

In Japanese but still worth a look as the commentary is not necessary.

Many thanks for posting Bohdan.

I enjoyed watching that video.

I have examples of all of those tools from various smiths, but had never seen such a detailed coverage of how they make the whalebacks (maebiki nokogiri). Great to see the tempering process close up and also the filing with that big feather file. I set my big saws with a hammer as shown, but with not the same speed or precision! Not surprising that there are not many of them made anymore since the introduction of chainsaws. I got my whaleback just for interest, but found I couldn't use it as well on our hardwoods as my big one and two-man saws made for our woods.

To get back on topic, the top end saws that the Mitsukawa family make are still done in this traditional way but are (understandably) costly and not something you would consider until you have become very proficient in the use of Japanese saws and sharpening them.

I have not used a saw made by Shinsui Nakaya from Sanjo in Niigata, but I have yet to have a bad experience with any tool made by a bladesmith from there, so expect they would be good if you can get one.