PDA

View Full Version : Electrical morons

BobL
5th March 2007, 09:48 PM
I was a public event on Saturday where several 3 phase appliances (critical to the event) were to be used in a semi-official capacity. The venue had provided a 5 pin - 3 phase socket but the appliances had 3 pin 3 phase plugs. One of the other semi-official persons who was not a sparky said he would break open the plugs and twist tie the wires together. At this point I said I was no-longer associated with the event and walked away. I had gone about 10 yards when there was a loud zap and turn to see Mr idiot sitting somewhat dazed on the floor - he hadn't even bothered to see if the socket was powered off!!!!! Fortunately he was OK and everyone saw sense in waiting for the right sort of person to do the job.

About an hour later a so-called electrician turned up but the end result looked pretty dodgy to me. After the event was over I found out the so-called electrician had a restricted licence - I don't recall a restricted licence permiting anyone to work on 3 phase power. Some people have no idea:o :o

silentC
6th March 2007, 08:47 AM
They should have posted a question on here. There's plenty of people here happy to give wiring tips over the internet to people they've never met...

Tankstand
6th March 2007, 06:57 PM
I don't recall a restricted licence permiting anyone to work on 3 phase power

I'm "in training" at the mo' for my restricted NREL Licence. And I am only allowed to work on "Low Voltage" regardless of Phases. But I'm only allowed to Disconnect / Reconnect

Redgy
7th March 2007, 08:58 PM
They should have posted a question on here. There's plenty of people here happy to give wiring tips over the internet to people they've never met...

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Yep

Markw
8th March 2007, 12:49 PM
BobL

In NSW a quick call to the Dept of Energy or WorkCover is always the best.

Any incident where an electric shock has occurred must be report to DofE by law.

Maybe the restricted sparky would have gotten a talking to or had his license removed especially if he needed having it removed.

Clinton1
8th March 2007, 02:24 PM
I'm an electrical moron... but I know to leave it alone. :D

dazzler
8th March 2007, 02:58 PM
Im a moron too!

When I was in Same ET the power only came on a couple of hours each night. So I disconnected the power from the street and added a female 3pin plug to the street end and a male on the house.

We could then plug in the generator straight to the house, unplug when the streetlights came on and plug the house into the town power.

Cool :2tsup: