PDA

View Full Version : hot of the lathe. jarrah burl bowl

Brown Dog
6th March 2007, 06:14 PM
Finished this bowl today...it was comissioned by SWMBO for a work collegues wedding gift.

sanded up to 400 grit (dry) then coated with Organoil till saturation then bunished up to 2000 grit.

cheers
BD:2tsup:

dai sensei
6th March 2007, 06:19 PM
Blo_dy hell that's nice. Proportions look great, how big is it?

ss_11000
6th March 2007, 06:21 PM
awesome bowl:2tsup:....i like the wide rim:)

Brown Dog
6th March 2007, 06:26 PM
thanks guys :D

its about 280mm dia. and 60mm high which is a little smaller than intended due to having to turn a bit extra off to get out the wobbles after rechucking :-

cheers

Cliff Rogers
6th March 2007, 06:33 PM
Very nice. :2tsup: But, (here I go again... :rolleyes: ) I like a smaller foot. :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2007, 07:03 PM
I rather like the foot on it myself, not many bowls are viewed from their side and the flared lip means the existing foot wouldn't usually be seen anyway. As a bonus, the wider foot means not only better stability but larger capacity inside.

If the bowl was taller, or didn't flare out as much, so that the foot would be visible from a more usual viewing angle then I'd like to see it smaller...

BernieP
6th March 2007, 07:44 PM
G'Day BD

Very nice thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

rsser
6th March 2007, 08:07 PM
I rather like the foot on it myself, not many bowls are viewed from their side and the flared lip means the existing foot wouldn't usually be seen anyway. As a bonus, the wider foot means not only better stability but larger capacity inside. ...

There's also how it would feel when picked up. With inner and outer curves heading in different directions it'll be much heavier than it needs to be.

On their own both lines look good, and it's a lovely bit of carbon.

paul collins
6th March 2007, 10:01 PM
very nice bowl.as an aside about foot size.i made 8 platters when i last went back to the uk to visit family.just let whoever came first pick.4 platters with the widest & tallest foot went first.ladies just seem to think they looked better.:rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th March 2007, 10:30 PM
There's also how it would feel when picked up. With inner and outer curves heading in different directions it'll be much heavier than it needs to be.

True. I didn't really visualise just how much meat would be left on the base with those internal lines. :-

One of my teachers recommended me to cut every xth bowl in half with a bandsaw so that you could actually see how much meat was left and where 'twas apportioned, so you knew how to turn future bowls so they felt "right." But somehow, when I have a form that I'm really happy with I just can't bring myself to slice'n'dice. I've cut up enough failures that I know a myriad of ways to not do it, though. Of course, they're the ones I keep repeating. :rolleyes:

TTIT
7th March 2007, 09:12 AM
Very nice. :2tsup: But, (here I go again... :rolleyes: ) I like a smaller foot. :)Have you ever sought therapy for this foot thing Cliff ???:;

Fantastic looking bowl Brown Dog - luv it! :2tsup:

Brown Dog
7th March 2007, 11:01 AM
Very nice. :2tsup: But, (here I go again... :rolleyes: ) I like a smaller foot. :)

I kinda have to agree with you on this Cliff....Im not totally satisfied with the design on this one either. I like the inside but the base does make it look and feel heavy. I much prefer a bowl with similar flowing curves and more uniform thickness with a small foot.

But in my defense...I was told in no uncertain words to not make a "nana bowl" (what ever that means :D ) by SWMBO and the design was "approved" before this expensive piece of jarrah was turned.

I probably could have turned more off the base (diameter wise) to make a smaller foot but maybe unwisely decided to use the chuck (75mm jaws..I need a smaller one) in expanding mode...so I was limited to how much meat I could take off so as to leave enough to handle the pressure from the expanding jaws.

So I put this not totally sucessfull bowl down to outside influence and laziness on planning the chucking....but hey SWMBO likes it and I didnt get an invite to the wedding any way so....:q :U

cheers

Rum Pig
7th March 2007, 02:01 PM
Nice very nice I like the foot I think a heavy bowl is good for day practical purpose if it is going to be a display bowl then yeah go thinner but as a gift you do not know what they are going use it for.:2tsup:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

rsser
7th March 2007, 04:45 PM
I probably could have turned more off the base (diameter wise) to make a smaller foot but maybe unwisely decided to use the chuck (75mm jaws..I need a smaller one) in expanding mode...so I was limited to how much meat I could take off so as to leave enough to handle the pressure from the expanding jaws. cheers

Yeah, always a limitation. Facing it right now with a piece of mahogany from Reeves.

Solution is obvious tho I don't like the 75mm Nova jaws for it, is to turn a tenon and go to clamp mode. More work later of course.

Ozartisan
8th March 2007, 04:31 PM
Nice bit of work Brown Dog. :2tsup:
I must confess I too am one for a smaller foot, as well as finer walls.
Best way I have found to achieve it is to glue a sacrificial piece of scrap to what will be the base - turn a tenon on that & have complete design freedom.
Final step is to turn off the tenon - (rechuck in cole jaws).
Remember to always mark the centre of your tenon so you can use the tail stock to support the work while turning off the foot. Only the very last little bit is turned off solely in the cole jaw - or trimmed off by hand.
If no cole jaw, you can turn a cone or disk in scrap & using some router mat, hold it in place with the tail stock & turn off the foot.
Keep up the good work!
Peter

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th March 2007, 04:43 PM
I've never had any luck gluing stubs onto burl. It has always ended in disaster for me... :(

Ozartisan
8th March 2007, 07:32 PM
Skew
I usually use something like maple for the sacrificial piece. make sure the burl surface is in good nick & flat - then I have been using Weldbond Professional liberally as the glue... allow at least 24 hours before turning.
Might have to take lighter cuts just to be sure!

Ozartisan

rodent
9th March 2007, 02:17 AM
Personally I like it .besides she ordered it you did it if you did'int do as the customer wanted , you would suffer ( oh boy would you suffer ) so if she's happy you should be happy (and you can add it to your browny points ) ,can't wait to see your next one .