PDA

View Full Version : Scam

rightuppercut
7th March 2007, 01:33 AM
G'Day folks
I have a website and have recently received an offer to buy a piece (The figured ash vase I posted earlier). This guy wanted to send me a check for 2000 U.S. Dollars, and have me send the remainder back to him via Western Union in cash. If any of you have a website, be on the lookout for such deviant individuals. He didn't get anything out of me, but I'm sure there are more trusting souls out there that will get taken advantage of.:((

lubbing5cherubs
7th March 2007, 09:31 AM
If he buying something off you why do you have to send him money?
Lost me..easy I know. LOL
Toni

RufflyRustic
7th March 2007, 09:46 AM
I wonder, is the buyer trying to do some washing perhaps?:?

Ianab
7th March 2007, 09:59 AM
The check is a dud...

If you fall for it you are out both the item, and the extra $$ you have refunded (donated) to the scammer.

It works because the banks will report the check as 'cleared' after 3 to 5 days depending on their policy. But the check hasn't actually got to the foreign issuing bank yet. When it does, (2 or 3 weeks later) they bounce it as phoney and your bank debits the money from your account.

What I find hard to believe it that people are still falling for it :doh:

Ian

AlexS
7th March 2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the rminder about this scam.

This guy wanted to send me a check for 2000 U.S. Dollars, and have me send the remainder back to him via Western Union in cash. (
I'd be inclined to send him a cheque written on the Bank of the Yarra.:D

(For our overseas mates, the Yarra is a river in Melbourne.)

Terry B
7th March 2007, 10:18 AM
If he buying something off you why do you have to send him money?
Lost me..easy I know. LOL
Toni
Toni
Take a look at http://bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html
It explains what they are trying to do and how some people have got back at the scammers.:U

hughie
7th March 2007, 12:49 PM
if its not a bank cheque or 'cashiers check' it will take up to a month to clear.

get the check present it to the bank then when it clears send the piece less the shipping etc. Western union the rest as requested, if your paid, any probs are his.

money first and only first. No money, no honey :U as somebody once told me :U

joe greiner
7th March 2007, 02:27 PM
get the check present it to the bank then when it clears send the piece less the shipping etc. Western union the rest as requested, if your paid, any probs are his.

Don't bother. The setup stinks from square one.:((

Joe