PDA

View Full Version : A gift... brass model from FIL

Wild Dingo
8th March 2007, 01:08 AM
Gidday
Now all this time I had this feeling that my FIL didnt believe my boat lust desires today he proved me wrong... giving me a wonderful antique brass yacht as a gift :2tsup:

Its solid brass abut 9 1/2inches LOA x 1 1/2in beam annd 18in from base to top of mast

Its story is "It was a gift to my grandfather from some high dignitary of the Rhodesian government at a dinner party in London a long time ago and was the reason behind my father moving there in the months before I was born. the last time I saw it I was 4 years old and my father took it from me saying "Now young Ric I had best take that and put it away till your more of an age to appreciate it" they moved from Rhodesia to Australia before the "troubles" that changed it to present day Zimbabwe while FIL was still a young boy his father passed away 40 years ago and his mother 10... it has only come to light now as he has just sold the family home and in packing and sorting MIL found a tin of notes from his mother one of which said to make sure Ric got the items in the sea chest in the roof... a lucky find by MIL she usually just throws out old tins that she finds over there... but among those items in the sea chest was the boat below

His veiw is this "While father did not think I was of an age to care for it then I have no doubt he would probably think the same now" FIL is 76 :U

I feel quite priviliged to have been given this by him as over the years he had given the impression that he did not believe how serious I was about boats as his son and other son in law have little interest... but as he said "After your sister gave you that beautiful painting for your birthday your face told the story its not the boat you can sail but we are still using that for a few more years yet so this will have to do for now" :2tsup: A more friendly happy and approachable time has not happened before today usually its very tense between us :C

Finally after 24 years I think we have finally come to like each other :2tsup:

Cheers

Buzza
9th March 2007, 08:18 PM
Goodonya Mate.

Well your not a mate now, you're in command of this vessel's destiny.

It must be on display though, because as I have bit of brass collection, I have nothing as nice as this one. I'll bet you can make a nice wooden plinth or case for her.

:2tsup:

jmk89
9th March 2007, 08:29 PM
What a beaut gift and a great story.

I agree with Buzza - the boat and the FIL deserve a great piece of WD woodwork to show her off.

Cheers

Jeremy

Wild Dingo
10th March 2007, 03:09 AM
Well I was going to get some brasso an clean her up a tad but Ive been threatened with all kinds of dire consequences if I do... so Im not :C

Im goin to make a stand for her but havent quite figured out what type yet but am thinking of something turned? mmm maybe not... will think on it and accept any suggestions that anyone wants to offer up :; maybe its own shelf? in a frame? sorta like a 3d picture?

As for the FIL hes getting a compass hydrometer barometer set into a Sheoak board for his boat this is one of those things hes always wanted but has been too busy to make himself... so when they head back to Darwin to Wings one will be in his baggage :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

PS... It do look bloody nice eh!

jmk89
10th March 2007, 03:14 AM
Well I was going to get some brasso an clean her up a tad but Ive been threatened with all kinds of dire consequences if I do... so Im not :C

Im goin to make a stand for her but havent quite figured out what type yet but am thinking of something turned? mmm maybe not... will think on it and accept any suggestions that anyone wants to offer up :; maybe its own shelf? in a frame? sorta like a 3d picture?

As for the FIL hes getting a compass hydrometer barometer set into a Sheoak board for his boat this is one of those things hes always wanted but has been too busy to make himself... so when they head back to Darwin to Wings one will be in his baggage :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

PS... It do look bloody nice eh!

Hey, Shane

I like the idea of the frame.

But what if the backboard (ie the vertical bit behind the boat and inside the frame, if you get my drift) could be painted, then you could set her sailing past some appropriate seascape. I couldn't do it (this family, self-included, has the combined artistic talent of a squashed frog), but doesn't your GLW (aka HBH) paint?

Just a thought

Cheers

Jeremy

Wild Dingo
10th March 2007, 12:37 PM
Gidday Jeremy
Thats along the lines of what I was thinkin :2tsup: paint in a seascape build up some rugged cliffs with paper mache or such then buld up the underpart of the boat to look like the sea under the boat but also the boat support perhaps some sort of hidden support?
The missus quilts sews knits embroiders crochets and other such stuff but my elder sis is the artist with paints and pottery.. trouble is with her shes presently on the move from Broome to Albany so would be some time before she could get to it

Nope mate no avoidance techniques are goin to happen its just gotta be lil ol me doin this :o should be innerestin eh :;

Cuttin the timber mmm me usin nice sharp tools :o ... nailin the frame together mmmm nice sharp drills and a good hard hammer :o ... mmm paints can be somewhat toxic too eh? :C ... mmmm wonder what joyous shyte I can get up to :doh: sounds like yet another visit to the lovely ladies in Chatea De Hospitale la Bunbury comin up for moi eh :U :U :U

nah :; just joking its all good :2tsup: