PDA

View Full Version : Workbench WIP ...Finished !!

Dust Mite
8th March 2007, 06:56 PM
Well 99% so. Just a coat of poly on the inside of the doors to seal them and were done.

For those of you who have followed the progress of this bench heres the final part. Now its complete and I can get on with other things.

Details are:

Dimensions - 1800 x 620 x 1000mm height. I'm tall so its built for my prefered working height.

Workbench Frame - Oregan Pine aka Douglas Fir
Workbench Top - Oregan 50 x 50 laminate with Rimu border.
Vise - German cica late 1800's from an old cabinet maker here in NZ. There is a shoulder vise that is the same vintage.

A 730 x 1200 x 565 cabinet with shelving and 3 x drawers, on black drawer slides. 3/4 extention variety.

Vise Jaws are 125 x 50 Jarrah and are 360 mm in length.

Finish is 2 coats of poly.

Door and drawer fronts are 12mm mdf. I was going to use tongue and groove Kauri but I now have a project for it. Drawer bodies are 17mm ply with recycled self made Kauri Handles.

This whole process has been a labour of love. I set out to make a good sized general purpose workbench and I think its come out pretty well.

Next bench will be a European styled cabinet maker workbench and will incorporate the old shoulder vise hardware ... but thats for later. In the mean time there are projects requiring attention. :)

Piccies below show what the cabinet was designed for. Powertool storage, dust free and out of the way.

fred.n
8th March 2007, 07:06 PM
Great asset for the shed D/M
well made and looks great:)

Cliff Rogers
8th March 2007, 07:09 PM
Beauty, thanks for sharing. :2tsup:

watson
8th March 2007, 07:25 PM
Looks Great!
Now get to work :D

Well done DM
Regards,
Noel

BobL
8th March 2007, 08:24 PM
Too Good! :2tsup: Too clean :D . . . . please post another picture in 12 months to restore our confidence in you.

Cheers

Gumby
8th March 2007, 08:38 PM
beautiful !

Harry72
8th March 2007, 11:01 PM
Looks good DM!

TassieKiwi
9th March 2007, 10:17 AM
Nice job there. If you wanted to adopt the 'wonder-dog' system it would be an easy retro-fit, though you might have to use the 'wonder-pup as you don't have much room under the benchtop.

Poppa
9th March 2007, 03:56 PM
Very nice bench Dust Mite. Love that Oregon....