PDA

View Full Version : Vice design for Unit_01

BobL
9th March 2007, 09:54 AM
Unit_01,

This was the design I used to make a drill press vice with interchangable face plates. It had 3 different pairs of faces, Steel, brass and aluminium and another pair of steel with leather glued onto the fron. I'd show you the vice and faces if I still had them - someone nicked them. Grrr

The reason the adapter plates were made separate from the main body of the vice was so that the adapter plates could be replaced/repaired if required. I made the first set of adapter plates out of 1mm thick galv sheet metal but then I machined a set out of brass - they were really nice.

Sorry about the amateurish use of Sketchup - it's the first thing I have drawn using this program.

Cheers

Unit_01
9th March 2007, 05:20 PM
thanks for this mate, ill have alook

Unit_01
9th March 2007, 05:23 PM
mate that design is brilliant, look awesome. just want to ask how i would make the adapter plate. if u could guide me on a path to make that part itll be very helpful.
cheers Kushy

McFly
9th March 2007, 06:36 PM
Nice design Bob. :2tsup:

It must be a B I G vice:oo: - almost 2 meters across.:D Sorry, don't mean to be critical but you can draw it accurately to scale by using millimeters as your units and drawing to full size. I'm not sure if you knew this. Select: Windows - Preferences-Template - Millimeters.

I like that may the faces slide into position.:)

McFly

BobL
9th March 2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks Mcfly, yeah I could see it was a bit ridiculous but I just wanted to knock something up quickly so Unit_01 could get some ideas.

Unit_01, the first adapter plates I made was bent up out of 1mm thick galv steel plate. I was not really precise about the bend or fit because the action of the vice is in compression so as long as you have something that holds the adapter onto the vice it will work. The second set of adapter plates were made out of 1/2" x 4" x 1" brass plate - there were machined using a metal mill and were a fair bit of overkill when I really think about it. The inner slot was cut with a T-slot cutter (you can see one (http://www.mcjing.com.au/engineering/milling%20cutter/millingcutter.asp) on this page), the outer slot was cut with a standard slot cutter. I wanted to use a triangular slot but we didn't have an appropriate cutter. I am still fuming about losing them.

Unit_01
9th March 2007, 10:56 PM
thanks for that mate, ill c if me school got any